Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Breathing Fresh Air (finally)

Finally got a solution to a custom intake box/enclosure.I bought it off Johnn on here.The filter is obviously inside the enclosure,it came with it,it's built into it so I don't think it can be changed but it can be cleaned,it's cone shaped.A K&N wont fit in there it's just a bit smaller but it works really well,the whole system works really well.I reckon it goes a bit harder and it's quieter.VERY HAPPY

So following on from the cold air ducting I did a year or so ago:

And da intake:

Last edited by beeza; 20-07-2008 at 04:13 PM.

looks good beeza.

You'll get better results using a smoother style flexi pipe. The smoother the pipe the less turbulence you'll get, which means you'll get more air to the engine.

keep your eyes out, theres some good things at bunnings etc which might fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    You'll get better results using a smoother style flexi pipe. The smoother the pipe the less turbulence you'll get, which means you'll get more air to the engine.
    this pipe will flow the same if not better than a totally smooth sided pipe of equal diameter. Think of the surface of a golf ball Anyway good work

Thats some ghetto ducting right there beeza. I love it haha!

AWESOME

Love DIY.. It's the true way to do shit.

Also, what did you wrap the intake arm in off the TB?

Did you use that builders insulation shit?

I'm doing mine this weekend.. finally !

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    looks like heat wrap isn't it??

or al foil

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    luv the pipez
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks crew!
    That tape is the insulation tape they use on fridges.My mate had a roll lying around,since he's a tradie,so I grabbed it.Heat wrap would work better I feel.This tape is good for wrapping fuel lines.

I was going to use plumbers piping Jase instead of the flexi hose,so that's great to know benny

Member Array
    Car:
    A black one
    Beeza can u pm me where u got this and where i can get one?
    Anyone selling a black ek1 facelift Hood (OEM)?? PM ME

Member Array
    Car:
    98 VTI-R CIVIC
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    this pipe will flow the same if not better than a totally smooth sided pipe of equal diameter. Think of the surface of a golf ball Anyway good work
    I think it's a little more complex than comparing golf balls to internal airflow in a pipe. Golfballs have dimples so that its wake is alot smaller than if it had a smoother surface, this is because the boundary layer on a dimpled ball is turbulent and allows air to 'curve' around better.

If the piping was smooth, a smaller friction head would probably be calculated resulting in a lower velocity loss around the bends esp. of course it would be more expensive to buy custom smooth piping :P

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Beeza can u pm me where u got this and where i can get one?
    I bought it off a member on here.I'll ask him and get back to ya

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    i would seriously reconsider the design of that cold air ducting if i was u.