Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12

Comprehensive Insurance and CTP Insurance

if i get a full comprensive insurance, do i still need CTP??

currently, i only have CTP but having to renew it in the next 2 weeks would cost me $626 because of the new levy laws. so im thinking i might as well get full insurance for the extra cost..

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yes. CTP is compulsory, hence the name compulsory third party, whether you have full comprehensive or not
    to see all of my build, checkout

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    YES you need the CTP greenslip regardless if you have comprehensive or not.

you wont be able to complete the registration of the car at the rta if you dont have:

pink/blue slip
    CTP green slip paid
    rego papers.

CTP covers personal injury and things like that. (compulsory)

comprehensive or 3rd party covers property damage and so on. (not compulsory)

is there a massive difference in ctp fee between a driver over 25 years and under 25?

midori Array
    Car:
    EK4
    my dads one was about $300 odd dollars or so

and mine was $550 or so..

depends which company aswell.

sorry for the off topic Q..
    what about registration?
    does age affect the fee?
    lol

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Depends on the age of the car as well. Have you tried using http://prices.maa.nsw.gov.au/index.html to find the cheapest price?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    yep... compulsory, unfotunately at the moment all insurers are sluggin anyone under 29 for CTP based on previous claims experience... the only one that discounts CTP's for anyone under 29 atm is GIO and NRMA but you have to insured with them respectively... if your under 25 your ****ed regardless....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    slowmo mobile
    Damn sucks 2 live in nsw I only pay like 340 for 6months rego and ctp in qld
    Join The Dark Side......Get A Free Cookie !!!!!

Now driving a scooby.. will return to the vtec in the near future

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    NSW will have the option to pay 6 monthly starting this November

CTP is a must, you can't drive your car on the road without ctp and you can't register it either. It protects you for injury and death to other people, depending on which ctp provider you go with you might also be covered for yourself as an at-fault accident.

Comprehensive Insurance Covers you for Property damage that you may cause to other peoples property and also your own.

So in English.. you hit a someones car and that persons gets injured. CTP will cover the liability you have to their injury, Comprehensive will cover the damage to their car and also yours (third party property will only cover your liability to the damages to the other persons car only)
    I haven't driven a Honda in years. :/ Does my honda lawn mower and whipper snipper count?

Member Array
    Car:
    CRV MY07
    CTP (Comprehensive Third Party) is a must. It's also called the "Green Slip" and a requirement for registering your car with the RTA.
    No CTP Greenslip, no rego.

There are two "optional" insurance above the CTP.
    Third Party Property Insurance - this covers any damage to other property your vehicle would hit (cars, boats, houses etc). You would be very much advised to take out this insurance if you don't want to pay for the repairs for hitting someones Lambo or Aston Martin. It won't cover your vehicle - which would be old, second hand and the cost of insurance would be worth more than the car itself (eg. your car is under $5K)

Comprehensive Insurance - covers other property and your car.
    This covers anything you hit and your car too (less excess) - it's more expensive, but then again, writing off your car is expensive to replace. Usually take it out if your car is worth more than $10K.

Other additional bits of insurance to add
    Windscreen protection - this additional cost to insurance is mainly for people who do a lot of highway driving. It's an additional $50 a year, but if your windscreen is cracked/smashed from rocks, then it's replaced (up to a number of times - like 2-3 times) an no excess paid. Had it on my previous car for 3 years ($50/year) and replaced the windscreen by O'briens once (cost of $350 covered by insurance - and no excess paid)

Car rental allowance - an additional cost if you cannot go without a car and have no other cars to beg/borrow/steal (okay, not the steal bit!). It would allow you to hire a car at a "special rate" for a period of time. Never had it or used it.