Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Talking integra... or 180sx..

Hey all,
    as you can tell this is my first post, so i guess i'll get things started.
    I've been looking at buying a 180sx for a long time now but im having second thoughts due to petrol and insurance being a lot because im only 18yrs old.
    So then that got me looking at an Integra. I would love to buy a Type R but due to the cost of it and that it doesnt have a sunroof or air-conditioning lol. instead of having those to little things.. it obviously has a lot of better standard modifications... mmm recaro seats *drools*.
    So instead of a Type R i figured i could buy a Vti-r model and then do a few mods, nothing to extreme for now, but in the long run assuming i still own the car in a few years time, maybe a nice turbo setup.

that pretty much sums up my story lol so my question's to you all is do you think its worth buying the Integra Vti-r model over the Type R? Would a 180sx be more fun because of the speed compared to the Integra. Has anyone had experience and owned both or driven both of these cars and could share there thoughts. thanks in advance

Cheers,
    Kris

if you were to buy an integra buy the type r. i know its a few more thousands if but if u have the funds go for it. i had a vtir before. started to modded it to be a type r, seats, steeringwheel etc, however, realise its never going to be a type r. So i sold it and got myself one.

PS. type r does come with aircon.

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Since when hasn't a Type R come with aircon? Have you been looking at the JDM DC2r?

180sx = 15 year old car, Import, I'm guessing because your 18 you would be getting a N/A version.
    DC2r = 10 year old car (MAX!), Aus delivered, top of the line version, cult car etc

Your buying the car, you decide what you want.

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    My good friend has an RPS13 '98 model low km example with 3" dump pipe and exhaust.
    The two cars couldn't be more different in driving feel, now you'd expect me to be biased on a Honda forum, I am, but not because of the brand.

When I drive my mates car he lets me have a real go, on boost it's great fun in any gear, feels a lot faster than my DC2, but really it's not.

From stand still the 180 is a snail until at least 2750rpm where it begins to pick up, 3000-4500rpm is best but it tapers off too early, change gear, BOV sounds, wait for boost AGAIN, then go.

Basically I always get out frustrated at how unresponsive the engine is, especially around town, pulling out into streets etc.

Back in my car torque gets me going from 1000-1500rpm with no engine vibration and builds to redline 8200rpm. No flat spots, just useable power and response everywhere.

180's are hard to launch properly with boost, in a straight line stock for stock, DC2 likely win only just. Modify the 180 as above, DC2R may be equal. Add corners and Honda jumps ahead, even stock DC2 with all it's body roll actually handles very well.

Drive both and decide for yourself.

EDIT: 180 is very cramped for leg room and storage space everywhere, Integra is way more comfy and cleverly packaged.
    Last edited by T-onedc2; 25-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Two completely different car's there mate, each with their own style of "fun".. I know with my type r, i blow 180sx's out of the water with speed so theres no lacking within the integra's capacity. This was pretty much my question, both cars have the compact sports car look but as you'll find when you test drive both, the differences are amazing. 180sx is no where near as beautiful to drive compared to a type R, its rough and plain on the inside and uncomfortable. Where as the integra, while maintaining its racecar heritage, it has a sex appeal and quality of design that is always greater than the 180.

Imo honda > nissan in build quality

Unless of course all you want to do is through a car sideways around the streets then the 180 is for you (but then you'll just go through tyres and diffs n wheel alignment all the time lol)

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    turbo > n/a

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Ive driven a n/a Silvia (SR20) and it was a nice drive

but imo i think the Teg would be a better choice (for what you will be paying and what you will get)

How much is your budget though?

the Silvia (which to my knowledge has the same pedal/similar pedals then the 180) is very cramped (but then again there is the slide side of things) and in general it felt like a very cramped car (that coming from me driving a 3G civic daily)

someone here had said that the teg is a cult car...that is true but IMO the 180 can/is considered a cult car aswell
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    nsx
    quick question though, is this your first car?

If so I'd go the integra, purely based on cost because that's the main reason you can't decide correct?

with the 180sx the insurance will ram you up the ass because it's a turbo import, and I'm pretty sure that not many places will insure an 18 year old driving a turbo import anyway. And the type R's aren't exactly cheap either, in fact I think it's more.

but if you have the money then grab one of them.

in my opinion though you should get the vti-r.
    I'd rather walk way from something saying "that was too hard" than walk away saying "that was too easy"
    ***GREEK PRIDE METER***
    █████████████████████ 100%

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Agree that the S13 series is a cult car also... but not in the same way a DC2r. When was the last time you rear a car magazine (not modified based) that praised the S13? When was the last time you read a car magazine that said the DC2r was the best FWD car ever made...?

Stock the S13 is nothing special. Its not till you start really changing everything that they because an awesome street car.

I don't think anyone should comment until the original poster states which state he lives in, what budget he has, and if this is his first car.

For all we know he could be 18 and live in NSW that has a 6k budget... so he would be "condemned" to a N/A Silvia... and most probably auto

Member Array
    Car:
    nsx
    ah yeah true, I for got about p platers laws....that means no turbo anyway..

yeah, type r for sure if you have the money, if not vti-r
    I'd rather walk way from something saying "that was too hard" than walk away saying "that was too easy"
    ***GREEK PRIDE METER***
    █████████████████████ 100%

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra GSI
    Teg for sure. Beautiful drive with all the looks you could want

ah my bad i think i was looking at the JDM type R lol. The 180sx would be turbo because im in SA and the no turbo law hasn't come into play yet so thats a plus i guess, but insurance will still kill me.
    Yea its going to be my first car but i figured i would rather spend the money i have saved on a decent car then buy an average one first.
    I would love a type R but atm i've only got 14k saved. which could get me a decent 180sx or Vti-r. Also from what i have seen cars are more expensive in SA compared to the other states
    Also what are people paying for insurance on a Type R or Vti-r.

Cheers,