Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux

Brake Pads for DC2. SSS vs Yellow Stuff

Hi,

I have been considering a few differant combinations of brake bads...suited for mostly conservative but occaisional spirited/mountain driving. I am after some opinions, experiences and personal preferences.

I currently have EBC Green Stuff on DBA 4000 Rotors brake performance from the pair is solid, however the Green Stuff cant handle high temperatures well, even from average spirited driving (not travelling over 80km/h, or revving high) when consistantly braking, fade is immediantly noticed. I think its due to my brake fluid/master cylinder atm as well but the pads still feel fairly average...

Long Story Short...

I have Narrowed it down to these Combinations....

Note: New Master Cylinder and Motul DOT 4 regardless of combination

Front / Rear
    EBC Green Stuff / EBC Green Stuff (Try the same combo again)
    EBC Yellow Stuff / EBC Green Stuff
    Endless SSS / Endless SSS
    Endless SSS / EBC Green Stuff

I am heading towards the Endless SSS, for no particular reason to be honest just the Name and Reputation.

I heard that the yellow pads are still very suitable for street, however i question how good the cold "Bite" will be...and how much they will chew my DBA rotors.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 04-08-2008 at 03:36 AM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    I would go with the Endless SSS's. Just because I have them, and I love them as a street pad. However... comparing them to CC-X, I would have to say they are no "performance" pad. I use the SSS, as a daily pad. Low dust, and good cold bite.

On another note, I have used Motul brake fluid, 2 times, and I have boiled it easy every time. I think Motul is very overrated. Over the past 2 and a half years I have tried out a few 'high end' brake fluids. Castrol, Motul and Neo. I use NEO racing fluid now... and it's been great at the track, and on the street.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
    I would go with the Endless SSS's. Just because I have them, and I love them as a street pad. However... comparing them to CC-X, I would have to say they are no "performance" pad. I use the SSS, as a daily pad. Low dust, and good cold bite.

On another note, I have used Motul brake fluid, 2 times, and I have boiled it easy every time. I think Motul is very overrated. Over the past 2 and a half years I have tried out a few 'high end' brake fluids. Castrol, Motul and Neo. I use NEO racing fluid now... and it's been great at the track, and on the street.
    Ah, thats what I was afraid of...to be honest for just under $400 I would expect more and from what ive read alot of people say the SSS's are very average. I got the set of Green Stuff for $200, lol. I did get trade prices though. Very Similar ratings...

I have always thought Motul Engine Oils were overrated but I had the impression their Brake Fluids where good. I guess the majority of their product range is overrated.

At the moment I'm slightly heading towards Yellow Stuff up front and Green in the rear. You have steered me closer to Endless though...

Thanks for your reply.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    I love how progressive, predictable and quiet Endless pads are though. This is what I find makes them an amazing street and track pad. Honestly the SSS will hold up for street/winding roads. If you want a lower dust pad... look at the SS-M's. I'm using these at the rear, and no dust what so ever!

I have used project Mu. Good, but noisey as shit. Not a fan. Quite abrasive, so they eat your rotors.

Winmax pads are also a great pad for the street. They are very dusty though, but very quiet, progessive, and there was no sign of fading on the track when using the stock ITR brake system.

Dixcel are meant to be great. Ben from Touge Tune is stocking these now. A mates accord was using the street pads at the OH trackday. Said they were the best pads he has used. Dixcel is used in Super Taiku. They just bought out AP racing, so effectively Dixcel pads are AP pads. And freaking cheap too.

Anyways... just thought I should give you more comparison.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K, DC2, EM1YO
    Im currently using the SSS on my DC2 and are great for daily driving. Ive also used the SSS on track and they held up fine, no brake fade at all. However, they do throw out a bit of brake dust.

Member Array
    Car:
    Evo7
    yup...SSS are great on roads and occasional track days. but they produce heaps of dust. My white rims are always grey/black.

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    SSS's are dusty...

Really?!?! Maybe I just don't think so, because i'm comparing them to CC-X?

The SSS's aren't that dusty, come on! If you guys worried about dust... get the SS-M's I haven't washed my rims in 3 months, and they still look newly washed.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K, DC2, EM1YO
    haha, yeah, my wheels are white aswell so maybe thats why.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    I heard that the SSS's omit average dust...

Anyone have any feedback on EBC Yellow Stuff....i am really considering a Yellow/Green combo as I can import them for $300 a set delivered compared to $600 over here...seems to be good value. I can't get the SSS's cheap anywhere. $340 Delivered is Best. and the retail of the SSS's are lower?

Any feedback on the Yellow Stuff pads would be great.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 06-09-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    Just an FYI.. I can get you a set of Dixcel Type M pads front and rear, for $430.
    Let me know. I can gaurentee you won't be dissappointed.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    If u want low dust pads go the red stuff,as the yellow stuff are very dusty.

i had a red/green combo down at wakey the other day & they held in strong all day,no fade whatsoever on standard disks.

the reds do feel like a OEM pad when cold,but come up to temp fairly quick & got good pad life & very little dust.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    How's the rotor wear with EBC Red?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2