Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury Silver

[CL9] Rain Sensor Wipers - Windscreen

Guys,

Looks around but couldn't find an exact answer to my query, so hopefully someone can look at their windscreen for me.... before I go bald..!!

Picked up my 06 Euro Lux (for $23k no less) 2 weeks back and am pulling my hair out over the Rain Sensor. My wife's 08 Std Euro has the regular intermittent wipers, so I am fully aware at how they work and think I know how the auto wipers SHOULD work, but for the life of me, the wipers in my luxury Euro run just like the standard wipers - even on a dry day and the sensitivity on max, they simply run intermittently.

What i have discovered is:
    1) Yes, the sensor exists behind the mirror
    2) Windscreen *may* have been replaced - wife's Euro windscreen has a HONDA stamp on it. My luxury Euro has no HONDA stamp.
    3) The windscreen looks physically identical to the std Euro.
    4) No holes/gommets/seals/gaskets etc in way of the sensor (Don't even know what to expect??)
    5) Not checked any fuses yet.

Can anyone tell me if there is any actual/physical difference between the two..?
    I feel as though the screen has been replaced and not with one suitable for rain sensing wipers.

Last resort would be fo me to drop by a dealer to physically check out a Luxury model to be sure.

Am I simply missing something... or are my assumptions correct in leading me to think it has had an incorrect replacement windscreen fitted..?

Cheers,
    Gavern

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    What is your wiper speed set to? I, II or INT? There should be an AUTO setting.
    Last edited by aaronng; 12-08-2008 at 03:14 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    What is your wiper speed set to? I, II or INT? There should be an AUTO setting.
    Thanks for the prompt reply... you behind a PC at work too?...

Yep, there is the AUTO. (INT on the Std)

I set the wipers to AUTO and it seems to works as if it is a Std Euro.
    When set to AUTO in the dry at MAX sensitivity, it operates just like a std Euro.....even with sensitivity set to minimum, the wipers refuse to operate under a HEAVY downpour until a set time.... similar to that of the std euro.... something like 20 seconds..??

Was expecting than when set to AUTO and intermittent showers, the wipers would switch on automatically. But no. They simply run intermittently at regular intervals depending on the sensitivity I choose... as if it is a std intermittent wipers.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavern View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply... you behind a PC at work too?...

Yep, there is the AUTO. (INT on the Std)

I set the wipers to AUTO and it seems to works as if it is a Std Euro.
    When set to AUTO in the dry at MAX sensitivity, it operates just like a std Euro.....even with sensitivity set to minimum, the wipers refuse to operate under a HEAVY downpour until a set time.... similar to that of the std euro.... something like 20 seconds..??

Was expecting than when set to AUTO and intermittent showers, the wipers would switch on automatically. But no. They simply run intermittently at regular intervals depending on the sensitivity I choose... as if it is a std intermittent wipers.
    I do have a PC at work, but my work does not involve the PC, much.

Let me get this clearly, so if you set it to AUTO, with wipers in minimum sensitivity, do the wipers still work in the dry even after 20 seconds?

Check if the sensor is blocked by that black part of the windscreen which the reverse mirror is stuck on to.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    so your saying whether you change the scroll to + or - it still stays at normal intermittent?
    if that's so then there must be something wrong with your sensor.
    If the glass was changed/replaced do you still have the unit attached to the glass?
    and does it have the dotted laminate just above the rear vision mirror

If it's not raining the intermittent setting wipers never goes on.
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury Silver
    Let me get this clearly, so if you set it to AUTO, with wipers in minimum sensitivity, do the wipers still work in the dry even after 20 seconds?
    YEP....wipers will wipe after X amount of seconds, depending on the + or -sensitivity. Even when dry.

Check if the sensor is blocked by that black part of the windscreen which the reverse mirror is stuck on to.
    That's what I'm thinking - The sensor itself: is it simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen..?
    Is there a supposed to be a hole in the screen that the sensor is through..?

Quote Originally Posted by Crapdaz View Post
    so your saying whether you change the scroll to + or - it still stays at normal intermittent?.
    YEP...... seemingly always on normal intermittent.
    @MIN wipes around 20sec apart.
    @MAX wipes around 4 sec apart.
    Raining or not.

if that's so then there must be something wrong with your sensor.
    If the glass was changed/replaced do you still have the unit attached to the glass?
    and does it have the dotted laminate just above the rear vision mirror
    Has all the black dots.. or so I recall. The sensor is attached to the windscreen.

If it's not raining the intermittent setting wipers never goes on.
    That's what making me wonder if the screen has been replaced with the wrong screen. The wipers run with Auto set... there seems to be no auto sensing, but just an intermittent setting.

Can the sensor be moved to different parts of the screen...?
    Maybe it is in the wrong spot...?
    Is the sensor an optical sensor or liquid sensor..??
    Are the screens for the Luxy & Std the same..??
    Last edited by Gavern; 12-08-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    That's what I'm thinking - The sensor itself: is it simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen..?
    Is there a supposed to be a hole in the screen that the sensor is through..?
    Yes, the sensor is simply stuck to the inside of the windscreen. HOWEVER, if you look at the part where the sensor is stuck on, it should be solid black coating except for a circular part which is transparent glass. That transparent circle is where the sensor is meant to be stuck on to. Base model windscreens don't have that transparent circle and could be the cause of your problem (replacement windscreen was a base model windscreen, not lux model). If that is the case, I pray that you bought from a dealer as the factory warranty won't cover a "mistake" of this type.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    I had this exact same problem approx.4 mths.ago.The module that reads the signals from the sensor attached to the windscreen and then sends a signal to the wipers to tell it how many times/how often to wipe needs to be replaced.Its mounted somewhere under the dash.had it replaced under warranty.go to service dept.Yours is 06 so it's covered.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury Silver
    Cheers All....

At least that clears up my concerns with regards to having a penetration in the windshield. First this this arvo when I get back to the car is to check if the screen has a clear patch in way of the sensor.

If no clear glass then wrong screen has been installed. No avenue out for that one except wait til the screen breaks - not that I have EVER had that happen in 20 years of driving..!!!

If the glass is clear in way of the sensor then looks like I can get a repair via warranty.

Either way, I know I did quite well in paying only $23k for an 06 Lux Euro with 6 months rego and warranty remaining.... plus the towball, mats and tinting..!

Speaking of warranty......I have a question on that. But will add to another thread so it won't get lost in here...

Cheers,
    Gavern

Member Array
    Car:
    MY09 Euro/MY05 Jazz VTIS
    If your windscreen has been replaced it is possible that the sensor in the aftermarket screen has failed. A collegue had thier windscreen replaced by O'Brien Windscreens & had the same fault. O'Brien's replaced the aftermarket screen with a genuine Honda screen at no extra charge due to the batch of faulty screens with the sensor's that don't work.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury Silver
    Hmmm... may be worth dropping into O'Briens to see if they know anything of the problem. Not that I can expect anything - the screen would have been replaced by the previous owner.

Having said that... I am still assuming that the screen has in fact been replaced - I only do so as the screen printed stamp on the windscreen doesn't say HONDA.... like my wife's std Euro screen does.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY09 Euro/MY05 Jazz VTIS
    Having said that... I am still assuming that the screen has in fact been replaced - I only do so as the screen printed stamp on the windscreen doesn't say HONDA.... like my wife's std Euro screen does.
    I think that it is safe to say that if the screen does not have Honda on it, it's been replaced.