Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

random puffs of thin white smoke at idle/slow speeds

asked this Q on PA but replies are slow...
    basically car runs great. no performance loss at all. it doens't blow any smoke at startup. car doesn't leak any oil on the ground.
    using 10w40 magnatec.

i would drive for 15mins no problems and then slow down for lights or a corner.
    a few secs later some white smoke would stay around in my rear view mirror. creeping the car/riding my clutch or reving slightly keeps producing slow thin white/greyish smoke until i take off...
    then it won't happen again for another 15-20mins. car drives fine. i can hit vtec a couple of times...slow down and stop a couple of times..no problems at all til another 15-20mins

i slow down/stop for a corner...idle for a few secs and then the white smoke slowly comes out again...it actaully stays around longer than condensation...sorta looks like the trail of white smoke i leave behind with WOT acceleration til redline.

from reading around it's probably the pcv valve right? what do you people think? i've been wanting to give my car a full service for a while now but i just don't have time. i do bits and pieces every couple thousand kms..

basically what i have planned is timing belt and all that in a couple more months, change sparks cause i don't know the condition of em, fuel filter, tappet adjustments, brake fluid...and yeah i think that's it...

it's hell annoying seeing the light smoke behind every 15-20mins. the car is normal..no vibrations or anything. oil level is fine. coolant has been fine for the last 5000km.

other days it would probably happen only once every hour.
    tonight it happened 4 times in the 40mins.

please explain

cheers

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's probably condensation since it is winter now. If it happens in summer, then look at the PCV. Also, if it is the PCV, you usually get more blue-white smoke when you use give it lots of throttle. But in your case, you use heavy throttle but no smoke.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

definately doesn't look like steam like i see in the mornings.
    the smoke stays arond for a while.
    ><
    if the smoke is starting and i creep the car/ride the clutch around then it will continue sorta...i don't know if it will go on and on but usually i'm already moving off after 5 seconds.
    while cruising between 3000-4000rpm no smoke at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    It's probably condensation since it is winter now. If it happens in summer, then look at the PCV. Also, if it is the PCV, you usually get more blue-white smoke when you use give it lots of throttle. But in your case, you use heavy throttle but no smoke.
    drove for 1.5 hours (100+km) yesterday here and there...car should be fully warm. it happened as i slowed down for a roundabout, put it into second...turned the roundabout and left a trail of very thin white smoke ><

cheers for your replies...it's hard to find a mech that knows about hondas.
    i ask some local ones and they don't seem to know about the common problems of hondas. they treat it like my car is an old camry or something lol

also like i said i do leave a trail of white/grey smoke when redlining 1st/2nd gear.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Ahhh okok, well, try changing the PCV then.

so i should be able to pick a valve up for $5-10 at a honda parts centre right?

also you know dyno runs..if a car is makes the right amount of power does that mean the rings,compression and all that kind of stuff is in good condition?

my car did 106.5kw... there weren't any other stock preludes around so i couldn't compare but corolla sportivos are pretty close and they were doing a few kw more than mine.

so do you think a compression test is really needed or not for my car?
    cheers

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    No, dyno results don't tell you your engine condition. I recommend you change the PCV first. Then after that if you are still gettign smoke, get the compression test done.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by migoreng View Post
    so i should be able to pick a valve up for $5-10 at a honda parts centre right?
    LOL! Wow you mustn't been involved with honda's for long! You'll soon learn that OEM parts cost a fortune, unfortunantly!

OEM PCV VALVE: $38 (from Memory)
    Repco Branded: $12

User servicable parts like PCV Valves (simple parts that a differance in quality wouldnt make any major (if any at all) changes in your engines life/performance. Just buy aftermarket. Even if you change it every 30,000kms... which you could do but isnt by any means neccesary.

//------------------------------------------------------------

As for your smoke, I would at first change your PCV valve then go from there, however a PCV valve which has passed its service life shouldnt cause white smoke...it should cause a blue-ish smoke (as aaronng said) as when a PCV valve fails crankcase pressures rise and it causes blowback past the piston rings resulting in the burning of oil.

White smoke (provided it isnt condensation) is usually water/coolant. So monitor your coolant level closely. If no noticable changes are seen then try an ECU Diagnostic and see if it provides any error codes, then if no luck try a compression/leakdown test as aaronng suggested.
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 12-08-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

if it was a compression problem would it smoke every single time i take off or idle?
    what about valve steam seals?

cause i'm only getting puffs every 15-20mins...somtimes it may only happen 2 times an hour but depends if i'm starting and stopping a lot i think. i can't work out the pattern yet.
    also how much is it for a compression/leak down and how long does it take? should any mechanic be able to do it?
    some mechs are like nah you don't need one done because my car runs and idles fine to them...
    it's like they don't want to help me out lol.
    also my coolant and oil is fine.
    checked it this morning in the freezing weather....oil is just over the top dot on the dipstick...coolant is still green. nothing weird looking at all

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    maybe destructn can get us some discounted PCVs i know i want some spares
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    if it was a compression problem would it smoke every single time i take off or idle?
    what about valve steam seals?

cause i'm only getting puffs every 15-20mins...somtimes it may only happen 2 times an hour but depends if i'm starting and stopping a lot i think. i can't work out the pattern yet.
    also how much is it for a compression/leak down and how long does it take? should any mechanic be able to do it?
    some mechs are like nah you don't need one done because my car runs and idles fine to them...
    it's like they don't want to help me out lol.
    checked it this morning in the freezing weather....oil is just over the top dot on the dipstick...coolant is still green. nothing weird looking at all
    To be brutally honest, the best mechanic is the result of educating yourself. Truth be told i think my mechanic is great but only you are going to care about your car as much as you do.

The reason mechanics will drive you away from it is if they don't see any money in it, particulaly if it's a generic mechanic place like Mr. Muffler/Midas/Kmart T&A...etc These companies would rather do something that yields higher profit or will most likely result in follow up work...

//------------------------------------------------------------

If it was Valve Stem Seals it would be blue smoke similar with the PCV Valve which is why I am reluctant to suggest it has anything to do with oil burning, My closest guess...without seeing/driving/assessing the car would be water/coolant burning. Leaking/Cracked HG or a VERY unlikely event that a coolant channel in a Throttle Body/Manifold is leaking under low pressure mixing with the air/fuel mixture...which is honestly a shot in the dark.

We can't really help too much without seeing it and being there to assess it...even then with the aid of appropriate diagnostics we may not be able to conclude whats causing it...thus why some mechanics charge high to fix small issues as it may take them alot of trial and error to discover the issue.

If compression tests are below usual then one of the causes COULD be a cracked HG but....once again....the random time intervals are odd.

As mentioned earlier...i would change the pcv valve and perhaps ask a knowledgable mechanic of the possibilities.

Just because the coolant is Green doesnt mean its not in need of a change or top up...don't get fooled by coolant sitting in the top of the radiator due to pressure levels it can do this...yet the radiator could be half empty...if its Green chances are it wont change colour as it is a generic coolant...OEM Honda Coolant is Blue xD...Get some coolant if you dont already have some and top it up and see how much it takes ....

If all this fails, ask a knowledgable mechanic about the smoke...other than that there is not much else we can do...

Good Luck
    >> Now Known as "Phased"

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    No, dyno results don't tell you your engine condition. I recommend you change the PCV first. Then after that if you are still gettign smoke, get the compression test done.
    Az, is there a DIY for this? I'm noob at PCV

edit: is it the approx 2in long rubber tube at back of rocker cover on B18C?
    Last edited by T-onedc2; 13-08-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by T-onedc2 View Post
    Az, is there a DIY for this? I'm noob at PCV

edit: is it the approx 2in long rubber tube at back of rocker cover on B18C?
    The tube you are looking at is the breather hose. It just connects between the rocker cover and the intake arm. On the B18C, there should be a tube going from the intake manifold to the PCV and then onwards to the block. Something like this pic (supplied by ben). On some engines like mine, the PCV valve is actually screwed onto the block unlike in the pic where it is inline with the hose:

On other engines like the old SOHC F series, it is on the top of the rocker cover.
    Last edited by aaronng; 13-08-2008 at 09:55 AM.