Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.

Boot water leak.

Just noticed a few weeks ago that I had approx. half a cups worth of water sitting in the spare tyre section of the jazz boot (05 model). I dried it out, and then checked again a couple of days ago, water was back again. My Jazz is parked outside, not undercover, and there has been a fair bit of wind and rain in Sydney at the moment, but wouldn't expect the Jazz to be a leaky car. Might pay for other people to check their's out, as very light surface rust was starting to show.
    Now the hard part, tracking the bastard leak down. I'm thinking it's probably coming somewhere from the rear hatch area, but who knows. I hate leaking cars

Member Array
    Car:
    CBF250
    ya leaking cars are lametastic.
    try powdering teh whole boot with that carpet deoderising powder, fairly generously. wait overnight without touching it, come back, and see if u can see smears or any powder disolved in an area. that will help find where its coming from
    I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Good idea Nax. Seems to be making its way in underneath the plastic trim in the boot area, maybe even one of the taillights.

Member Array
    Car:
    CBF250
    do you have a spoiler or anything like that? could be there too, and if not one of those just do a thourough inspection of all your seals. lemme know if the powder trick works if not well have to devise some other sceme lol

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTiS GD3
    The tail lights are often a good place to start - my old Civic had all kinds of problems down the back and around the lights - mind you, it had been a bit of a bumper car under previous ownership (I knew that when I got it). The powder trick seems a great idea.

Member Array
    Car:
    CBF250
    did u find the leak yet?

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Leak not found yet. But I did fit a Honda aftermarket bodykit to the VTI, and that included the rear spoiler, which required a few holes to be drilled into the top of the rear hatch. I checked a couple of screws holding the spoiler on, and they had worked a bit loose, so maybe they could have been letting water into the rear hatch, but there are drain holes at the bottom of the hatch, so I'm figuring that the water should have run out of these without penetrating the interior/boot, but I could be wrong. I siliconed around the screws, so next downpour I'll check to see if she works.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTiS GD3
    Quote Originally Posted by fundies View Post
    Leak not found yet. But I did fit a Honda aftermarket bodykit to the VTI, and that included the rear spoiler, which required a few holes to be drilled into the top of the rear hatch. I checked a couple of screws holding the spoiler on, and they had worked a bit loose, so maybe they could have been letting water into the rear hatch, but there are drain holes at the bottom of the hatch, so I'm figuring that the water should have run out of these without penetrating the interior/boot, but I could be wrong. I siliconed around the screws, so next downpour I'll check to see if she works.
    Stick a cable tie up the drain holes and wiggle it around - the plastic won't hurt anything and will clean out any gunk - I reckon you're barking up the wrong tree with the water though.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the exact same problem (or similar, at least) with both my last and current Jazzes. Water was pooling underneath the spare wheel or jack, depending on the angle that the car was parked. It turns out on both cars (old one '02 VTi-S, current one '05 VTi, so both GD models) that there were small cracks at the rear of the car where the sides meet the roof. If you open the hatch lid and have a look underneath where the black strips on the roof end (on the outer sides of the hatch lid's hinges) you can see the cracks start there and travel down to within a couple centimetres of the seal.

After a lot of investigation it seems the water seeps through the metal underneath where the hatch lid locks (just above the jack on the inside of the car). So the water gets into the cracks, runs down through the inside of the car, and ends up in the boot. For me, in both cases, applying a sealant to the cracks at the top fixed this problem. Don't bother going to Honda unless you want to part with a lot of money (or are under warranty) - I was quoted $110/hr just to FIND the leak. Some research tells me a similar problem is recognised by Honda UK. Good luck to anyone else with this annoying problem.

when i have my car, 05 gd3 fixed (rear ended) with smash repair, they said this is a common problem with the jazz, all the jazz that come in has the same problem.
    they fixed it for me. he said water come from top right hand corner which then flows into the car then reaches the spare tyre area.

Could be book gasket

With my Jazz, I had disturbed the rubber gasket when shoving in mattresses.. that let the rain in. Simple re-setting/adjusting the gaskets by hand stopped the flood.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 gli 325000ks
    mine leaks badly too, i suspected it may have come from those cracks!! i pulled the black rubber strip out and saw the cracks.

time for some sealant!