Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Suzuki RGV 250

Hi all, just want to get ppls thoughts on the rgv 250.
    The reason I'm asking about this bike is because when i was living in Vietnam, I was riding a RGV 120. over in VN, they considered the rgv 120 to be a criminals bike, similar to our WRX's of old. I had heaps of fun riding this bike and love the 2 stroke exhaust note.
    I learned to ride a motorcycle over in Asia and have no experience of riding on Australian roads, even though I have a full bike license.
    What do ppl think, would the RGV 250 be suitable for me to familiarize myself with Australian roads???
    Or can ppl give their oppinion on a good bike thats similar. I heard I would get sick of a 250 really quickly and should go for a 400, but the rgv is a 2 stroke, so it should have extra punch.....

Last edited by Bludger; 10-09-2008 at 10:10 AM.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i do know they are not LAMS legal... and are a bit of a weapon... come on powerband pretty hard... but none of this should be a major issue if you've ridden a stroker before, and are careful on the road
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

what is LAMS?

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    what is LAMS?
    LOL - Dont know much about riding bikes in Oz ey?

Look up your local road authority and get some more information.

In most states if you are a learner you will not be able to ride one. The power band is a little crazy anyway and I wouldnt recommend one for a learner.

Why dont you have a look in the very long post about good learners bikes?
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    what is LAMS?
    http://www.lamsinfo.com/

but it shouldn't apply to you if you have unrestricted license
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

I'm a full bike license holder, just not familiar with riding on Bikes on Australian roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdster View Post
    LOL - Dont know much about riding bikes in Oz ey?

Look up your local road authority and get some more information.

In most states if you are a learner you will not be able to ride one. The power band is a little crazy anyway and I wouldnt recommend one for a learner.

Why dont you have a look in the very long post about good learners bikes?
    I'm a full license holder.

common, any thoughts about the bike in question???

Car:
    Civic
    I'm a full bike license holder, just not familiar with riding on Bikes on Australian roads.
    Do you drive a car? How much experience riding have you had?

I would just go and get some private lessons and then look for a bike. If you are reasonably experienced, I would be looking for something other than the RGV. Firstly I am not generally a fan of two strokes (maintenance, power band etc) plus the RGV is a pretty old bike now as I remember it.

They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdster View Post
    Do you drive a car? How much experience riding have you had?

I would just go and get some private lessons and then look for a bike. If you are reasonably experienced, I would be looking for something other than the RGV.
    lol, I explained in my OP.

full car and bike license, just that i learned to ride in another country and even though i hold a full bike license, have no exp. on AU roads.

in my situation, what would you recommend?

edit: umm, I would say I'm fairly competent with a motorcycle. I haven't ridden one in more than 2 years though, would be quite shaky in the 1st half an hour but i think i would get it back after that.
    Last edited by Bludger; 10-09-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Car:
    Civic
    lol, I explained in my OP.

full car and bike license, just that i learned to ride in another country and even though i hold a full bike license, have no exp. on AU roads.

in my situation, what would you recommend?
    How long have you ridden for? I wouldnt have thought you would have to much trouble riding on Australian roads - just understand the road rules as they apply to bikes.

As I said earlier, maybe get a couple of lessons if you are worried.

Are you specifically looking for a sports bike or do you want a sports cruser etc?

say..... about 1 year regular riding exp. on a bike.

I'm after a cross between the 2, as i don't like full race bike neither do i like a full cruiser.

but 1st bike would just to familiarize myself with the roads for say 6 months to a year.

Car:
    Civic
    say..... about 1 year regular riding exp. on a bike.

I'm after a cross between the 2, as i don't like full race bike neither do i like a full cruiser.

but 1st bike would just to familiarize myself with the roads for say 6 months to a year.
    If you are going to do that get yourself a cheap, non-faired (or semi faired) bike like a gpx, vtr etc etc. They are all 250's, but you will gain good experience and when you are comfortable you can look at upgrading. That being said, you could also look at a bit more powerful bike (that is a bit heavier) - check out the LAMS list which is on the NSW/VIC road authorities website.

Also think if you havent ridden for a while and/or you want to just settle yourself in go for a lesson or two (will only cost $100 or so) as there are some really good places to help you get on your feet - check out HART for example of courses (http://www.hondampe.com.au/wps/wcm/c...T)/About+HART/).