Member Array
    Car:
    Civic

*PICS* Review/Installation Guide: Benen Front Tow Hook Installation Guide EK, EM & EJ

Review/Installation Guide: Benen Front Tow Hook Installation Guide EK, EM & EJ

Ok, firstly when I got the hook I was originally going to have my local shop install this for me but, due to one thing or another I ended up installing it, so I figure why not share the info to the broader OZHonda public .

In the kit you will get:
    • x1 tow hook
    • x2 bolts
    • x2 nuts
    • x4 washers
    • x2 spacers

In a quick review before I go into the installation guide, it is a solid bit of gear, very butch and suit to purpose and looks to match, very well priced, with overall fitment leaving a quality finish. Cheers, to Benson for the hooks.

Firstly you’re going to need some tools, considering you only need to cut a hole the size of a mobile phone and drill two holes it’s amazing how much you need, list:

* Dremel or angle grinder (I used a Dremel, it worked well, people who tell you to use something else because Dremels are weak are full of shit, lol) (Cheers Vince, you’re a legend!)
    * x1 5 pack of Dremel metal cutting discs (you’ll go through two of them in the process)
    * Dremel disc mounting tool
    * Decent cordless drill (Makita) or any corded one (Cheers James, for the drill!)
    * ½” drill bit
    * Safety goggles (sparks are flying around along with metal shavings, wear goggles, they’re like $10, why not)
    * Philips screw driver
    * Touch up paint (doesn’t matter the colour as it’s under your car’s front bumper cover anyhow)
    * Imperial socket pieces and metric socket pieces
    * Imperial spanners
    * Socket wrench
    * Socket extension
    * Jack stands
    * Jack
    * Nikko marker
    * Electrical tape
    * x2 small artist paint brushes
    * Lock Tight

(pictures will follow shortly)

1. First step is to jack up the front of the vehicle and support it on jack stands, just the same height you would raise it to do an oil change will do just fine.

2. Open up the hood and remove all of the top screws in the grill & top of front cover followed by a screw ether side under the wheel arches, then two under the car. Remove the front bar now and move it preferably to another room or away from the car as it will get covered in metal dust and shavings otherwise. I left mine in the dining room, people who were over thought I was building on of those car BBQs you see every now and again, my next project I think, lol

3. You will now notice that under the bumper cover there is a shs bar (square hollow section) and a Styrofoam piece in front of the shs bar. Remove this foam piece and move it to the bumper cover. Mount it into the bar as a reference as now you’re behind the bar, grab your hook and pick your position for the hook to stick out / side of the bar you want it to protrude out of. Using a Nikko marker mark on the hook where it will sit using the Styrofoam piece inside as a guide marking both on the foam piece and the hook.

4. Now bring the foam piece back to the shs bar and mount it again seeing where your reference is for your cut to be made. Marking on the top of the shs bar mark out a rectangle at least the size of a mobile phone and about 4 inches across and along the whole size of the shs side which will be cut into. Remove the foam piece.

5. Now put together the Dremel with the disc mounting tool and a disc, put on your goggles and turn it on having the Dremel on full RPM as it’s a good few mm thick of shs steel you’re cutting through. Don’t allow the disc to get stuck into the piece run it along the surface in a tracing motion. I went down the shs bar first ether side then across, it will drop into the hole you’ve made in the end and just pick it up after but be careful of the sharp edges. Don’t be too alarmed by the sparks flying across but would recommend having a fire extinguisher handy in case you already have a un noticed fuel leak present, can’t hurt anyway, they’re $30 at Woolworth’s for a garage kit, all garages should have one.

6. Once you have the hole cut get your drill and ½” drill bit out, get the tow hook out again and the foam piece as a reference for the holes to be made put the foam piece back on the shs bar, we then taped the tow hook, shsbar and foam with black electrical tape and made centre marks under the shs bar for our drilling. Remove the hook and foam piece, put on your goggles and drill into the centre of your marks from the bottom of the car whilst on your back.

7. Once you’ve drilled the two holes get out the touch up paint and paint the edges of the holes you’ve cut out, don’t want it to rust out on you.

8. Now get out the tow hook and the accessories it came with, put the washer and bolt into the hole, underneath the shs bar on top of the tow hook itself place your gapping bases they supply above each hole and underneath the hook itself once a bolt is inserted put a washer and the supplied nut, tighten one up at a time to a decent torque using Lock Tight on the thread for added security.

9. Now your hook is mounted properly, get the foam piece and place it back in front of the shs bar it was on then get the front bar/grill combo and reinstall in reverse order making sure your inner guards are tucked into the side of the front bumper cover.

10. Lower the vehicle now and you’re done, enjoy, hope this thread helps out anyone considering the front tow hook in the future.
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 29-10-2008 at 07:34 PM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    nice writeup...

where did you get your tow hook from?and for how much?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    got the hooks off of a mate who bought a few, he's all out, ebay has a fair few of them forsale

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    updated with pics

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Nice one Ryan.