Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Child Seat Anchor Points in Odyssey

I am considering purchasing an Odyssey. We will soon have 3 children, all of whom will need a car seat. At the dealer, they said that all 5 seats in the 2ndh and 3rd rows use a set of 3 anchor points in the roof. A question for those who have used these:

1) When using a child seat in the third row seats, the salesman said that the anchor strap goes between the headrest and the back of the seat, before going up to the anchor point in the roof. This didn't seem right to me - is this really safe?
    2) Salesman said that although you can have a child seat in any of the 5 back seats, you could only ever have 3 in use at a time. In order to have three child seats, and not have them all in a row, the best option seems to be two in the 3rd row, and one in the middle of the 2rd row. Any comments from others as to how well this works? Do you suggest another configuration?

Thanks,

Naith

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Hi Neith, my 2 cents in red
    I am considering purchasing an Odyssey. We will soon have 3 children, all of whom will need a car seat. At the dealer, they said that all 5 seats in the 2ndh and 3rd rows use a set of 3 anchor points in the roof(middle row anchoring points are at the rear on the roof, last row 2 anchoring points is in the boot at near bottom (ie on the boot wall where the latch of the rear tail gate is. The points have circular rubber pieces covering them similar to the roof anchoring point covers). Your sales man needs to read up his instruction manual). A question for those who have used these:

1) When using a child seat in the third row seats, the salesman said that the anchor strap goes between the headrest and the back of the seat, before going up to the anchor point in the roof. This didn't seem right to me - is this really safe? ( Anchoring point does not go to the roof, it goes throught between the headrest and down into the front of the boot
    2) Salesman said that although you can have a child seat in any of the 5 back seats, you could only ever have 3 in use at a time. In order to have three child seats, and not have them all in a row, the best option seems to be two in the 3rd row, and one in the middle of the 2rd row. Any comments from others as to how well this works? Do you suggest another configuration? With my config, I can fit 4 seats. 2 in middle row and 2 in the rear. I put 2 seats on the longer section(ie looking at the car straight on one the left seat and the other in centre seat), this means I can still slide the minor seat forward to gain access to the rear. My rear row is currently empty, but I can fit 2 more seats on the last 2 if I want and have any spare passenger sit on the minor middle row

For your case I would suggest 2 in the moddle and one at the rear so that you still can sit 2 more pasengers and somebody can still play with the kids while seated next to them.

Note that once the last row baby seats are anchored in, putting the pram in the boot will be very tight and might be hindered by the last row baby seat anchoring line coming from the top of the seat, across the boot back down to the base of the boot.

Hope this helps

Edit: You are getting a Gen 3 RB1 Odyssey right? not a Gen 2 RA9 and before? Because then I would have not idea on how the seat configs are on the earlier models : )

Hi Evolution,

Thanks for that - was very helpful! Yes, we are looking at the current model.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 RB1|08 B200T
    CaN you wait about 6 or 7 months? New ODC might hit our shores

Hello, this is great information thank you. We are looking at purchasing an odyssey as we have our 3rd on the way. My question is, when you have 2 car seats anchored in the 2nd row, don't the straps get in the way for the people sitting in the 3rd row. I mean don't they get in the way around the persons head?

Thank you in advance.

Sarah V.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahv View Post
    Hello, this is great information thank you. We are looking at purchasing an odyssey as we have our 3rd on the way. My question is, when you have 2 car seats anchored in the 2nd row, don't the straps get in the way for the people sitting in the 3rd row. I mean don't they get in the way around the persons head?

Thank you in advance.

Sarah V.
    Hi Sarah V.,

Well it does get in the way in the sense that the straps will run to the left and right of the person's head. The 3rd row seats IMO I think will fit a person around 1.65m in height nicely (I'm using myself as an example, and as you can tell I'm not very tall ).. any taller and the person would have to slouch. With me sitting directly behind the 2 seats, my head will not hit the straps, but are a little irritating as they are pretty close. That is why I suggest putting a small child in that seat as the straps are well clear of their heads. Anyway even with one seat anchored, you will still get straps running near the person whom seats behind the child seat.

Regards

Thank you for writing back to my question. Much appreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Photos of how I positioned me child seats

Can I get other anchor points installed in Odyssey 2006?

Having the straps go right past the heads of kids in the back seats seems a bit horse & cart. We're looking at buying one, and love everything else about it, but can I get an anchor installed somewhere else? Or use the lower anchor points instead?
    Carol.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    I personally don't have a problem with the straps on the roof. My friend's 5 yr old son sits directly behind when we go out and he has never hit the staps.

Haven't heard of anyone anchoring it any where else. Using the anchoring points in the boot? Wouldn't that be even worse?

If you are in WA, maybe I can help by letting you have a look at my set up.

honestly no other anchor point available on RB1 except 3 on roof. i knew as i search all over when i install the newborn seat and found nothing unless an engineer add some under the seat

Thanks for your replies. I think what I'd prefer to do anyway, (to give us optimal boot space) is to try and keep the 3 kids in the 2nd row. The straps wont bother anyone that way.