Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2

Suggestion: A Ozhonda Wiki

Perhaps Ozhonda could use a Wiki?

Im unsure if this has come to topic before but i thought it may have been a good idea to bring up.

As of late i have been thinking of this more and more and how it can work here (as i continue to read through posts in the noob section, site discussions and other various parts of the forum where i feel this could of help)

I have spoken to a few members here about this idea, and as they also seemed to think it may be a good idea, i thought i would officially pitch the idea

I have seen it work with many other forums (large and small) which have wiki's filled with various bits pieces of information and facts that is very helpful to its members.

I know a Wiki (for Ozhonda) wouldn't be exactly small or easily maintained (quiet the opposite really) but i think it could be a very great tool here for the members here and the Australian Honda Community

I feel that the Wiki should be locked from everyone to be able to post in and that the moderators/certain people (perhaps a keeper or something?) would be sent the information via email/pm/see a thread and add it in

I say this as the information would be directly in the hands of the person looking rather than members having to search repeatedly and or either spending alot of time searching for a straight answer (which becomes annoying at times) OR growing frustrated and making a new thread then being told its been covered with a link provided as to where and when it was discussed

I think the Wiki would/should/could be filled with as much Technical/General Information as possible on all Honda's as possible

Weither it be a list of what you need to convert your ed civic to 4x114.3 (possible with link to DIY of this being done) or where you can buy/find a ready to buying a bolt on Turbo Kit for a DC5R (and perhaps a links to the different companies who provide these with sites/link/local retailer so therefore you can order it/browse through it)

I think the Information should be soughted/sifted by Make/Model (i.e 1st gen civic/crx/s2000 etc to current) and Categorized then by Modification (i.e Engine,Suspension,Interior,Exterior etc) and perhaps then in each Category have commonly asked Questions (i.e "How do i fit DC2R Recaro's in my EG?", "Will a K20 fit in my ED?" "Will i be able to fit 18's without scraping")

I believe the sources for the Wiki should be collected/donated from Members here, other internet sources (I.E HondaTech, ClubCivic etc etc), Build Threads, DIY's etc (get the idea?) with Credit/info to who added it or further information as to where the information Came from (i.e Source/Site)

Im sorry if this seems to be unclear or anything (look at post time)

I will be happy to clear it up/answer questions etc once i wake up
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i agree to the fullest
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Shitty Rail
    do it!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
    DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    "A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend"

Member Array
    Car:
    Rachel & Renee
    it sounds pretty much like what ozhonda is honestly.. wiki is a way of finding answers and ozhonda seems honestly to me the same thing but ozhondarised? sure looking for an answer is honestly pretty god dam hard with the search feature ozhonda has.. but what you mentioned above is a SHITload of work for someone.. just remember this is a free forum no one is getting paid to moderate this.. and honestly as your friend lloyd i feel its a great idea but its a heck of alot of work for someone to be doing for free?
    Coup De Grace / Rachel

Built by Backyard Performance
    JDMyard / Autobarn Bankstown / Accurate Brake and Clutch Lidcombe / Performance Exhaust Northmead

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    SOunds like a good idea but a bit too much work repicating what we have here / in the stickies.

Perhaps a wiki on forum usage / rules?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    thing is, noobs dont look at the stickies.....

no matter what we do, people need to be redirected to either stickies, or search function, or a wiki if we do it before they can post, to prevent reposts

Member Array
    Car:
    DA3 Integra
    can you link an example of where a wiki has worked for another car forum? i think its a good idea, and would be useful...
    You never go ass to mouth!

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    thing is, noobs dont look at the stickies.....

no matter what we do, people need to be redirected to either stickies, or search function, or a wiki if we do it before they can post, to prevent reposts
    So what makes you guys think that they;ll look at wikis?
    Wouldnt it be easier, if we all pitched in and assisted the noobs by pointing them to the stickies and other existing threads that we already have?
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    coz the stickies, while being good

are hard to look thru

they need to be sorted out again

wiki is teh shit
    a wiki would sick out more than stickies in the noob section + it would be more indexed ect
    good i dea i reckon
    Chunky = the first youngest ozhonda member ever

OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    *Sorry for long post but i felt it was necessary*

Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    SOunds like a good idea but a bit too much work repicating what we have here / in the stickies.
    fair but imo the Sticky/Search system here is somewhat flawed and either could use a Big Overhauling (with more things either added/fixed to threads and certain threads deleted/cleaned up) or some sought of other solution.

As i (and assuming most of the members here) know and understand there is ALOT information in the Forum (and its stickies) that can be accessed via either alot or a little bit of help from the Search function but i feel the difficulty people have (aswell as myself) trying to find a straight answer to a question or even finding a thread (to either study or bump) that has discussed the topic at hand so the person may gain knowledge from it and hopefully cause as little confusion as possible

As i see it now members ARE creating Threads that would be sticky/wiki worthy (i.e Zco's Thread 'RTA FINES and DEFECTS. DEMERITS INCL.' or even to a extent Gio's Discussion in the Forced Induction section 'Supercharge website/ Discussion')

Though Given Zco's thread (in my mind) could be expanded and then perhaps be made into a Sticky and moved to a section where in which then it may grab MORE attention from the Users of Ozhonda (especially in NSW) and hopefully Inform them of the Fines and Demerit's they have to lose via the enlisted in the thread (which may eliminate some threads that have popped up in the past)

As for Time consumed by putting such a wiki/database together i personally would be happy to work on the Wiki.

In saying that im very confident there would be members here with particular knowledge or whatnot who would be more then happy to contribute their knowledge and experiences.

I personally could not see or envision a Sticky (in the Civic (2000 and below) / Crx) consisting of "How to Convert your ED to Fuel Injection and what you will need to do it" or a Sticky which could most possible be filled with a Catalogue (if you will) of Authentic/Tuning house EG Body Kits (with pictures) and weither they are in production and steps to confirm if it is authentic or replica (and if possible information on where to purchase it from i.e Our Traders, From there Direct Dealer or if that Rare Ebay/Jdm Yahoo etc)

In saying that i could see these sought of things belonging in a Wiki

Why?

One of multiple reasongs being its out of the way and if someone is interested in knowing this its in the appropriate place (and not taking up valuable space on the Forum)

IF we did this with stickies you would need to scroll for a while to get through it all and then to be able to get to the Threads. Simply it would take up a HUGE amount of valuable space (which i believe is not what we at Ozhonda want)

Though what i have proposed is in reality HUGE i believe the hours of dedication put into it would simply pay off.

Considering things with Honda/Ozhonda member bases are ever changing, more is being discovered/modified/fiddled with, the Wiki would be ever growing BUT if people contribute to it THEN the work would in reality be minimal and the load shared

Quote Originally Posted by qikteg View Post
    can you link an example of where a wiki has worked for another car forum? i think its a good idea, and would be useful...
    At this point in time i cannot find the specific wiki's i have seen that have stood out the most though here are a few that do stand out to me (that at this point in time i may salvage from my old harddrive)

For one i think the 'DIY electric car Forums' Wiki would definately be one of the most Helpful (car related) wiki's i have seen

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...v-wiki-21.html

Red Pepper Racing also has there own Wiki which is helpful but imo is in need of a refresh/update

http://www.redpepperracing.com/wiki/...itle=Main_Page

Also Nasioc has there own Wiki (god love them)

http://wiki.nasioc.com/wiki/Main_Page

While looking into Subaru's and craving knowledge (Thank you Possum Borne) i trolled/read that wiki like there was no tomorrow

and the UK's own EVO magazine's 'Wiki' stands out like a sore thumb listing the truths of the Forum to the updates/changes/conquests to there Utmost famous Trolls and little blurbs for the regular posters...

http://bluwiki.com/go/Evo_Magazine_Forum_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Q_ball View Post
    So what makes you guys think that they;ll look at wikis?
    Wouldnt it be easier, if we all pitched in and assisted the noobs by pointing them to the stickies and other existing threads that we already have?
    Though coming into the thread and assisting the 'noobs' (or those asking noob questions) out imo is simply not enough anymore

There are alot of people who simple come to a thread and say "Did you search!" or "DO A SEARCH FFS (take note of yelling/cruise control)" which in turn does not help

And then (imo) when someone does come to help rather then flame and say "Do a search" (etc etc), they are kind enough to do the searches and find the answers/forums/threads that the OP was looking for.

These people are far and few between and then even still OP/noob/whatever label MAY have MORE questions either in relation to the topic or not at all which will either be asked in that thread or may come up in another thread (which once again = More Space consumption) and the cycle may continue.

Most noob (in my experiences) do not read the rules here.

If they are members on other forum they will most likely not go through and read the rules (as they should) as they would assume the rules are the similar if not the same (which imo the OH rules are alot more specific/detailed and need to be read)
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    i think it's a great idea. sure it may duplicate some info but it would certainly be HEAPS better than the current search system. i guess the other option would be to revise/replace the search system?
    if we could tag threads with relevant words it MAY help..... or people could continue not really thinking ahead with thread titles/tags (ie. thread title like "help!" when something is wrong with car )

Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    Perhaps a wiki on forum usage / rules?
    lol and WHO would look at that wyn?

you'd get stuck making it, then nobody would look at it after that. i can't imagine it like "ooh a rules wiki how interesting!"
    Last edited by panda[cRx]; 24-09-2008 at 07:48 AM.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan