Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R Series 2

EG Brake Upgrade... exactly!

So I'm after exactly what I need to upgrade my 23?mm EG Vti brakes to some 262mm EK4 or DC2 front dics. The rears are fine but the car just doesn't pull up like it needs to and the spongy pedal is unsettling.

I am after all the info I can gather about what I need to buy (and where I can get it if possible, too!) so that when I put the car in to change it all over I can be confident the car will be done (exactly right) a few hours later when I pick it up!

I have been told you need the whole "knuckle assembly"... what is that!?!?!?

I have been told that Bendix Ultimate or green stuff pads are the biz.....?

I have (today) had the brakes checked and they are fine in terms of disc life, and pads are only a smidgin off neweys. The front discs are around the wrong way (RBA with dots and curved grooves pointing the wrong way!) but are in good nick.

Please tell me exactly what I will need...

where I should hunt for it all...

and what to be aware of in terms of issues or potential problems...

Thanks !!!

I want to do this in the next week before I have to go back to work.
    iijjee
    Turbos Torque... VTEC Speaks!

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8
    you need the front knuckles off a ek4/dc2 (where the caliper connects to the hub area),calipers to suit, rotors,
    and brake master cylinder/booster to suit the bigger brakes.

yup as above.

the "knuckle" is the metal arm which connects to both the UPPER and LOWER control arm. The brake hub plus disc n caliper is connected directly the the knuckle.

The reason you need a new knuckle , is because the 2 mounting holes for the larger discs (262 or 282mm) is slightly off the standard eg knuckle (for 242)

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    thousand words, hopefully.

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    92 Legend, 92 Civic
    will the Ek knuckle bolt straight up? is there any differences apart from the caliper mounts?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    yes it will bolt straight up, only trouble you may have is the brake line being like 5-10mm too short for the EK/DC2 caliper. and you should really upgrade your booster and master cylinder aswell to EK4/DC2

Member Array
    Car:
    92 Legend, 92 Civic
    hmm.... i think i might have to do this upgrade. a quick jobie for enzed should do the trick (for the lines)
    Last edited by thepope1986; 05-10-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    i was also thinking of upgrading but i was gonna go for a complete ITR assemlby swap...

would the 96 spec 4x114.3 hold up to track work (as rarer wheels come in this pattern) or should i go the bigger braked 5x114.3

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    they are fine as long as u run a decent booster and mc like ek4, dc2, eg6 or itr/ctr.

With some good tyres and brake pads
    mugen無限power

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    yup as above.

the "knuckle" is the metal arm which connects to both the UPPER and LOWER control arm. The brake hub plus disc n caliper is connected directly the the knuckle.

The reason you need a new knuckle , is because the 2 mounting holes for the larger discs (262 or 282mm) is slightly off the standard eg knuckle (for 242)
    benjamin do you know what the cheapest way to run ITR 282mm rotors but keep 4x100?

I already have rear DC2 discs and ITR 1" booster/MC. But front on my EG is still stock so I want to give them a big upgrade but keep 4x100.

Wilwood are too much (too effective, and too expensive). Oh I also need to do 4040 prop valve but I've been too lazy and I'm not sure which one I need because I don't have ABS and apparently the 4040 prop valve is for ABS?
    Last edited by Moya; 06-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Big Brake Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Moya View Post
    Do you know what the cheapest way to run ITR 282mm rotors but keep 4x100
    Get DBA200 rotors from SCA, Repco etc. They are 282mm, and have them redrilled for 4 x100. This is a better alternative to getting Prelude VTEC rotors as they are, in my experience, nearly always worn fairly well and leave a lip on the outer edge of the rotor. New DBAs are a better alternative.

Then get the 92 - 95 Accord wagon calipers and brake lines. These are big calipers that should bolt directly to your EG knuckle.

The calipers will have 17CL15VN stamped on them - don't get the 17CL14VN ones as they are standard.

Add some performance brake pads and brake fluid, and you will have enormous stopping power.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 07-10-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro Lux
    Quote Originally Posted by iijjee View Post
    So I'm after exactly what I need to upgrade my 23?mm EG Vti brakes to some 262mm EK4 or DC2 front dics. The rears are fine but the car just doesn't pull up like it needs to and the spongy pedal is unsettling.
    A spongy pedal is most likely due to a defective master cylinder. Unless the pedal becomes spongy after sustained heavy braking in which it is more likely to be the pads/rotors.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Sp00ny; 21-10-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    >> Now Known as "Phased"