Page 1 of 112 12341151101 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:

NEW 2009 Euro Luxury Auto Pinging

I have a new 2009 luxury Euro. Only had it 3 weeks, now has 1000 kms on it pinging like mad. Pings at 60KPH pings at 100KPH on the flat. Seems to ping less going up an incline under load. Currently running on Premium (95 octane) going to change to (98 octane on next tank) Dealers here dont have an answer. Taken it in twice. Doest seem to be fuel related. Manual clearly states pinging can damage the engine if left unchecked so would appreciate if you do find a solution to pass it on to other New Euro Drivers. From searching American Honda Forums they have the same problem over there. Our Euro model over there is known over there as the ACURA TSX. Seems to be a Honda factory fix thats required, not something a local dealer tech can fix with adjustment. Anyone else have the same problem. Any help would be appreciated

UPDATE UPDATE 8th October 1500KMS.
    Dropped it in for 1000km check to dealer 2 days ago...After keeping the vehicle for 2 days...Result. Pinging is recognised as a problem even at 98Octane. Worse with Premium. Dealer doesnt know what is causing it. HONDA head office have not provided an answer, even though they are aware of it. Dealer added 2 bottles of octane booster but still the pinging did not go away. It appears to be a HONDA AUSTRALIA problem but they are not addressing it or giving their Euro owners any advice of attending to the problem. ( doesnt leave you with a comfort feeling driving around in a new $46,000 car with this kind of problem )

this pinging problem appears to be across Auto 09 Euros as a model..Now I dont believe Honda will not fix the problem in the end .. but Honda please when are you going to address this problem

UPDATE 8th November. Now driven 2500ks.. No change.. No solution from Honda. I have been contacted by Honda Australia Direct ( A Fellow named Heinz) Stated they are aware of the problem and are working with Japan to come up with a fix for it. When I asked for a time frame for this fault to be fixed he would not provide any. Furthur this contact was by phone so there is nothing in writing to protect me from a future failure. Now if they cannot fix it without Japans help it sounds serious to me. What do you think? If you are thinking of buying this model suggest you wait for the next model maybe 2010. Cause the manual states on Page 340 that if pinging is left unattended it can cause engine failure.

UPDATE 25th January 2009.. 6000kms .With a lot of letters to the media about the same engine noise we are experiencing here in Australia finally they have caved in and given me an answer. It is as follows. Software fix is reputedly available mid February

Dear John, we appreciate that you are concerned about the presence of an engine operational sound as it detracts from your overall enjoyment of the vehicle and we wish to again reassure you that this condition will have no impact on performance or engine reliability. We have been working closely with the technical division of Honda Corporation in Japan and following extensive investigations we can confirm that the condition you are experiencing is not that of “pinging” which is known within the industry as “pre-ignition”. The condition that you are experiencing is a combustion sound taking place after the programmed ignition, namely a “post combustion noise”. As this condition takes place after the programmed ignition and with the piston on its downward stroke, there is no detrimental force or impact within the engine in your vehicle. Therefore your engine has not sustained any damage and we are happy to offer you a guarantee on the engine while you are the owner of this vehicle as a way of reassuring you of our confidence that no wear or damage is occurring to the engine or associated components.

We trust this advice from the manufacturer clarifies the matter.

Regards
    Joe Gelsi
    Customer Relations Manager
    Honda Australia Pty Ltd

April 2009. After 7 unpleasurable months and 10,000 kilometers Honda still have not come up with a fix for all 'pinging' 2009 Euro owners out there. Promises promises no delivery. It would appear to be a major problem and not minor if after 7 months they have no solution. Remember this pinging issue was known in England back in 2008 and in the USA as early as March 2008. So they knew about the problem before it was released here.
    Now when I drove the demonstrator vehicle before purchase there was no pinging sound. Yet when I picked up my new vehicle there was an engine pinging sound driving it straight off the showroom floor. Could we claim deceptive selling practices. There is a deafening silence from Honda now on the matter. If you have a pinging model how can you sell it until after a fix from Honda even if you wanted to. Are you sick of this treatment. Would you like to become part of a class action to seek a legal end to their procrastination. Contact me at jbowly@tpg.com.au if interested. Remember divided they can tell us anything as a group we have more ability to make them listen.

August 2009
    At last the so called Ping Fix has been carried out on my Euro Auto. Yes initally there is improvement. The fix involved a change of knock sensors and a change of software. But dont all sigh with a tone of relief. IT DOES NOT GET RID OF THE PINGING SOUND. It has got rid of the ping over 100 KPH...... BUT it is still pinging between 40 KPH and 60 KPH and around town often this is the speed you have to travel at. So after 12 months of promises from Honda there is NO real improvement. It would now appear that the problem is more costly to fix than HONDA are prepared to make. They have now issued me with a letter stating that my vehicle is warranteed for the life of the vehicle in my possession for any fault which develops from this pinging condition. Is this an admission that they dont know how to get rid of the noise and I have to put up with it. It would appear so. This is my 4th Honda and sadly my last. I purchased this model based on a test drive of a vehicle that had no such ping. I was delivered a totally different car that has proved to be a pinging nightmare. Honda have not fixed the problem under warranty in 12 months. So much for their integrity as an honorable Japanese car manufacturer.
    Last edited by jbowly; 07-08-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: update to new car problem

Member Array
    Car:
    "07" CL9 Limited Lux
    jbowly welcome to the forum!

There is another thread at the moment regarding the noise in the new euro (aka CU2)...not sure if its the same noise that ur complaining about.
    Here it is... http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96966

PS. Would you happen to have an auto or manual?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowly View Post
    Seems to ping less going up an incline under load.
    If that happens, then it is not pinging. The sound is caused by something else.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Can you demand for a replacement car and let them fix your car??

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Black Stallion
    I dont know much about engine though. But you taken to dealer twice and still couldn't find the problems so just ask them for another new car. And tell them it's waste of time, can't wait for fixing.

Good luck mate.

Is this knocking sound happening to all CU2 with an auto gearbox? Anyone with an auto euro without this problem?

I'm really curious as I'm looking into getting this car...

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 09
    Quote Originally Posted by loki78 View Post
    Is this knocking sound happening to all CU2 with an auto gearbox? Anyone with an auto euro without this problem?

I'm really curious as I'm looking into getting this car...
    if I were you, I will wait now or go with other model. Apperently, many auto having the same problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro 09
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowly View Post
    I have a new 2009 luxury Euro. Only had it 3 weeks, now has 1000 kms on it pinging like mad. Pings at 60KPH pings at 100KPH on the flat. Seems to ping less going up an incline under load. Currently running on Premium (95 octane) going to change to (98 octane on next tank) Dealers here dont have an answer. Taken it in twice. Doest seem to be fuel related. Manual clearly states pinging can damage the engine if left unchecked so would appreciate if you do find a solution to pass it on to other New Euro Drivers. From searching American Honda Forums they have the same problem over there. Our Euro model over there is known over there as the ACURA TSX. Seems to be a Honda factory fix thats required, not something a local dealer tech can fix with adjustment. Anyone else have the same problem. Any help would be appreciated
    1st, please report this to Honda Australia. They have to and will look into this if more compliants. I dont think there is anything the dealer can do. They have to wait for honda australia to give them the solution. They will tell you to put 98fuel.

Member Array
    Car:
    SloEur
    have you tried mobil 6000? it is apparently at least 96 octane, at a normal 95 octane price.
    i doubt 1 octane will help, but worth a shot.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by MiSloVic View Post
    have you tried mobil 6000? it is apparently at least 96 octane, at a normal 95 octane price.
    i doubt 1 octane will help, but worth a shot.
    You guys have a choice. All of our petrol comes from Singapore. So Shell, Mobil, and BP sell the same stuff in Darwin. They just "badge engineer" it by adding their logo.

And only BP sells 98 RON here.
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    It doesnt make sence, why isn't it happening to Manual owners? Its the same engine lol!

Perhaps the auto gearbox isnt aligned/mounted properly and causing a imbalance through the crank. (/random guess)
    .© ♪

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    It doesnt make sence, why isn't it happening to Manual owners? Its the same engine lol!

Perhaps the auto gearbox isnt aligned/mounted properly and causing a imbalance through the crank. (/random guess)
    That means it is NOT pinging, and is a sound from the gearbox, NOT the engine.

I reckon it is a gearbox ringing sound, which happens in auto gearboxes from Daihatsu and older Mitsubishi Lancers.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2