Ignition problems

Hey guys,

CAR WONT CRANK!!!

Just bought an old EJ8 for cheap, its had a motor swap to a D15B and hasn't been started in 6 or so months. When I was at the sellers house, we were able to crank it but it didn't kick over and they told me a mechanic came to check the car and said it was the ignition coil. Before I went to get that I thought it may have been a battery issue as well so I replaced the battery and now it doesn't even crank anymore.

So then I thought maybe NOW its the immoboliser/alarm, we tried disengaging it etc etc, nothing worked so we took it out completely and fixed up all the wiring (not 100% sure but it seems like it was only tapped and not cut anywhere, so it was straight forward). Still nothing.
    So my mate towed me while I tried push starting it, not sure if this is even possible but most of the lights turned off and I was able to rev the car but as soon as he stopped moving the car died again.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking of getting a new dizzy and starter motor but I want to check first to make sure. Does anyone have the same engine as me that could help troubleshoot with their working parts? Part number for the dizzy is TD-8OU

Thanks a lot guys

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    strange, d15b's are one of the best honda motors.
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    sounds like fuked battery/ bad earth

I put one of the working (fairly new) battery from my other car into it though.. Anything else I can check?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    but with the original battery u had it cranking, with the newer battery u got nothing...
    trace back to wateva else u touched...
    either, internal dizzy coil, bad earth or battery is fuked

Check your battery lead clamps are clean and tight. Make sure you haven't got the battery reversed. (do that first)

I've checked everything, I fiddled around with it recently and happened to unplug the Ignition harness, and the bloody car started cranking with the key (won't turn over).. What does that mean?! O.o.. Without the harness is it able to start? Also, I've removed the alarm but I think the immoboliser is still plugged in. Not sure if its aftermarket or stock, its plugged straight into a slot on the ignition switch.

I've changed spark plugs and dizzy and fuel is pumping to engine fine and I'm getting spark. Any ideas?

If the ignition harness is disconnected, I'm not surprised it won't start. Cranking's one thing, starting is another. If the immobiliser is "on" then it won't start either. Removing the alarm (I presume you mean just the speaker/horn) will stop it making any sound but won't shut off the immobiliser, in fact without the horn it'll be hard to tell whether the alarm is on or off. Does it have a red flashing light on the dash?

Thanks for the reply, no red flashing light anywhere but there is a green key light when I turn the key with the harness plugged in.

I think you're gonn'a need the services of an auto-electrician to sort this out.