Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic VI 5Dr.

2004 Civic VI 5 Door Steering issue?

GDay All,

I just picked up a 2004 Civic VI 5 Door Hatch and when I test drove the car it performed beautifully. After the purchase and bringing it home, I checked the tyre pressures and they were all low, around 20psi so I pumped them up to 36psi all round.

Now, driving the car, the steering feels kinda notchy, if you correct your lane position for example, just moving the wheel a few mm's, the car seems to want to keep turning in that direction and there is a small resistance at the wheel to bring it back to center, if that makes any sense at all?

Is it just because I am not familiar with this car, my normal drive is an 05 BA Falcon XR6, or could there be an issue with the power steering or do I simply have too much air in tyres?

Otherwise the car is tight, no noise or wear in the CV's, no slop in the struts, the ride quality is good all round, tyres are not new but still have a lot of life in them and are the stock size and rims.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Andy M

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    I noticed that when I took a friend's VI for a spin. I think it's because it has electric power steering compared to your Falcon. My newer 2010 Civic sedan doesn't have EPS which is a bummer though, I guess they cut costs in the newer models.

I found the VI to be more quality than my much newer Civic to be honest.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic VI 5Dr.
    Thanks Stevo, That sort of confirms what I was thinking, that it is simply the operation of the electric power steering compared to the hydraulic power steering in the Falcon.

It does feel odd though, and I am wondering if it could be simply a lack of lubrication in the steering system somewhere or maybe a bearing under too much preload, because that is what it feels like to me?

I don't think it is tie rods, as the car is very directional and stable in it's direction, but it could be the electric motor gear/steering rack interface that is dry.

Do you know if there is a lubrication point on the EPS steering somewhere that needs attention?

I don't have a workshop manual yet, it's still on it's way, so I don't even know what this system looks like .... lol
    Regards
    Andy M

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy81 View Post

I don't think it is tie rods, as the car is very directional and stable in it's direction, but it could be the electric motor gear/steering rack interface that is dry.

Do you know if there is a lubrication point on the EPS steering somewhere that needs attention?
    Wouldn't have a clue about lubrication of an EPS system, but a mechanic can take a look and see where it might need some TLC (if required), like you said... could also be tie rods or what not interfering with the "feel" too.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic VI 5Dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
    Wouldn't have a clue about lubrication of an EPS system, but a mechanic can take a look and see where it might need some TLC (if required), like you said... could also be tie rods or what not interfering with the "feel" too.
    It's not tie rods, the car would tend to wander if it was.

It was suggested in another forum that I check out the wheel alignment, which just might fit the symptoms, although there doesn't seem to be any tell tale tyre wear. Then again, I don't know if the tyres are native to the car or what.

If I had the dollars, I would put a new set of tyres on it and have it aligned properly, but you know how that goes ...
    Regards
    Andy M