Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ITB on DC5-S questions

Hey guys! Recently became interested in modding my dc5 and was just wondering what there is to know about installing an ITB on my car? Mainly just wanting to know what kind of price im looking at. My car is stock atm and from my understanding I need to upgrade exhaust, headers, fuel injectors and re-tune in order for the ITB to be effective. Am I missing anything?

Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    add a full built head and built block, give up all street drivability and sure itb's will be effective
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Valvo View Post
    Hey guys! Recently became interested in modding my dc5 and was just wondering what there is to know about installing an ITB on my car? Mainly just wanting to know what kind of price im looking at. My car is stock atm and from my understanding I need to upgrade exhaust, headers, fuel injectors and re-tune in order for the ITB to be effective. Am I missing anything?

Cheers.
    By you saying this, I get the idea you have no clue.

ITB is something you wouldn't on a daily driver.

Sure it will make good power across the rev range.

You don't need a fully built head or block to run ITB's... You don't even need upgrade your exhaust.

Before I continue explaining something I have little knowledge on.

Descent set ITB including sensors and needed parts say Kingsler or TODA ..... easy 2.2k+

Say need aftermarket ecu ... easy 1k+

Then tune after tune after tune to get running to be able to live with.

So your already at 3k and nothing is still installed in your car.

Yes you need to research more.

Also hands down Im pretty sure ITB on daily car = illegal in all states of Australia.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by amant02 View Post
    By you saying this, I get the idea you have no clue.
    He did say he was wondering.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    He did say he was wondering.
    okay,

Op if you prepared to spend 10 minutes starting your car in winter @ maccas carpark. This is the mod for u.

But hey that crossover will make any hondafanboy jizz his pants instantly.

Cheers for the replies. Damn, I wasn't aware of how much tuning these things need :/ I'm a bit sad now because it seems like such an awesome mod! What makes ITBs so hard to tune correctly?

Also I tried doing some reading up on the legality of ITBs in AUS and I think its legal as long as it passes emissions tests and has an appropriate filter or box? Im not sure of that though, thats just what I read on some forums.

So all up I guess this isnt the way to go if I intend to drive my Honda daily are there any other kinds of intakes which are more appropriate for daily driving but will deliver more power than CAI and SRI? Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    They all do 2/3 of fcukall anyway

You may as well just get sometihng that looks and sounds nice. If you wanna go nice look at getting an ITR box. You'll spend less than an IHE combo
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    ive done a ton of research on ITBs. and its quite interesting / funny reading some of the above comments.

Yeh price wise sounds about right.

Tuning not so right. yeah an ecu and tune will set you back quite abit, but now days tuning ITBs for daily driving is not hard for someone who knows what their doing. If you buy some build for your model car, such as Toda, and you buy the appropriate size surge tank, then you half way there. The idle speed control valve will set you up for your daily driving.

Using the wrong sized ITBs and wrong size air box and everything else will set you back a mile, henceforth the need to tune every few months.

And in terms of supporting mods, that is entirely up to you. ITBs will increase your intake efficiency, and provide torque and or power throught the entire rev range. that power is tapped by your exhaust. Alot of people reccomend changing to a higher camshaft profile to increase the ITBs effectiveness.

if you decide to have them installed on your car stock (plus ecu), they will perform well.

if you install them and then add an exhaust or change your cams then you will need retune.

EVEN stock, the car will feel fantastic to drive. peak power isn't usually the main goal for ITB setups i dont believe.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Valvo View Post
    Cheers for the replies. Damn, I wasn't aware of how much tuning these things need :/ I'm a bit sad now because it seems like such an awesome mod! What makes ITBs so hard to tune correctly?

Also I tried doing some reading up on the legality of ITBs in AUS and I think its legal as long as it passes emissions tests and has an appropriate filter or box? Im not sure of that though, thats just what I read on some forums.

So all up I guess this isnt the way to go if I intend to drive my Honda daily are there any other kinds of intakes which are more appropriate for daily driving but will deliver more power than CAI and SRI? Thanks!
    Mate read up more on builds. Swear to god the possibilities with K20 these days are endless.
    K20/24? Cam the K20? Crazy Final Drive? Think about what you need the car to do and how you gonna get there.
    101 ways to build your car. Also you wont see big gains from intake and headers unless your gonna tune. Then again no point tuning unless your gonna fully build.
    If your gonna fully build may as well do the k24.

Hope you catch the drift.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    They all do 2/3 of fcukall anyway

You may as well just get sometihng that looks and sounds nice. If you wanna go nice look at getting an ITR box. You'll spend less than an IHE combo
    Don't quote me on this, im pretty sure his gear set is closer then the Type R's. Even has a higher final drive. From memory... or wus it the FN2R box?
    Last edited by amant02; 31-08-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lude s2k ge8
    $4830 for the parts on toda website japan. plus ECU. Worth every penny

oh and being legal, i dont know all the details, but i do know they need to be covered completely, hence the airbox / surge tank
    Last edited by Torell; 31-08-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Torell View Post
    ive done a ton of research on ITBs. and its quite interesting / funny reading some of the above comments.

Yeh price wise sounds about right.

Tuning not so right. yeah an ecu and tune will set you back quite abit, but now days tuning ITBs for daily driving is not hard for someone who knows what their doing. If you buy some build for your model car, such as Toda, and you buy the appropriate size surge tank, then you half way there. The idle speed control valve will set you up for your daily driving.

Using the wrong sized ITBs and wrong size air box and everything else will set you back a mile, henceforth the need to tune every few months.

And in terms of supporting mods, that is entirely up to you. ITBs will increase your intake efficiency, and provide torque and or power throught the entire rev range. that power is tapped by your exhaust. Alot of people reccomend changing to a higher camshaft profile to increase the ITBs effectiveness.

if you decide to have them installed on your car stock (plus ecu), they will perform well.

if you install them and then add an exhaust or change your cams then you will need retune.

EVEN stock, the car will feel fantastic to drive. peak power isn't usually the main goal for ITB setups i dont believe.
    I agree.

To give some examples. 4AGE comes factory ITBs.

But the cost involved... i still prefer a full built motor to beat on

So if I were to install the Toda ITB, I would just have to chuck on the surge tank and ECU and I'm good to go? If its that simple I'd be willing to do it :P Like I said, I'm new to modding so I'm just taking a look at whats out there so I can set a goal. ITBs caught my interest since they sound epic and look awesome and I think its a mod which would make my car stand out from others. But thanks a bunch for the info. Maybe for now I'm better of making some smaller mods till I figure out exactly what I want to do. I was so close to buying the injen CAI the other day but the idea of hydro lock kind of freaked me out since here in Perth I have driven into deep puddles on many occasions and I dont imagine a SRI would be the best option for summer :P