Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 Accord

Oil filter

Hi all,I'm new to this forum and have just today brought a 2007 Accord with less than 50,000 on the clock and verified in the books.The car is a great drive and I'm wondering what oil filters (type and code no)people would recommend,Looking in the servicing book they seem to state 15 w 40 oil and of course Honda oil filter but I'm sure most other filters will do the job if the oil is changed often enough.All thoughts on the subject gratefully accepted.My last posting in the army was as a driving and servicing instructor on both armoured and heavy vehicles and later was a plant operator on road construction vehicles so I have always done my own servicing,oil changes,plugs,belts and hoses etc,usually draw the line at timing belts though.Any input most welcome,Cheers Albie.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    A ryco or equivalent reputable brand will be fine,just comes down to your personal taste

some of us only use genuine ones religiously

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    That weight of oil is a bit heavy for your car
    Let alone a Honda with tight engine clearances
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 Accord
    O.K Jasemas,what is the correct oil,being in Queensland and near the coast the temp never gets below 6 deg.and looking at this recommended viscosity chart it shows -15 up to 40 and above 15w-40,all the lower numbers are obviously for much colder climates allowing the engine to turn over and have oil pressure very quickly from a cold start.If anyone can enlighten me further,please do as I am always willing to learn and thank you Jasemas and EKVTIR-T for your replies.Cheers Albie.

10w-30.
    I'd go genuine filters personally

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Personally i'd go for 5w-30, that's factory
    That cold start up yo

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Offtt 15w 40 for an engine only done 50k?

Has she lived a hard life? Is she burning oil? Running rich?

My jazz has just done a lil over 100k and i still use 5w-30. I use 15w50 in the Type R, she has over 200k on the clock & takes a beating day in day out.

I'd also recommend using S2k AP1 oil filter, as it helps hold oil pressure consistent. Use on both the jazz and type R.

Way i see it, its better to have unfiltered oil then no oil.

The oil weight numbers don't mean actual temperature rating. The first number is the oil viscosity when cold and the second relates to the viscosity when the oil is hot.. ie a 5-30 oil is a multi grade oil that has the same viscosity as a single weight 5w oil when cold and the same viscosity as a single weight 30w oil when hot. Sorry I can't recall the actual temperatures which the ratings refer to, but you get the idea.

The oil weight others above have quoted sound good.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    The oil weight numbers don't mean actual temperature rating. The first number is the oil viscosity when cold and the second relates to the viscosity when the oil is hot.. ie a 5-30 oil is a multi grade oil that has the same viscosity as a single weight 5w oil when cold and the same viscosity as a single weight 30w oil when hot. Sorry I can't recall the actual temperatures which the ratings refer to, but you get the idea.

Yes true
    But mostly engine wear occurs on start up
    So the quicker oil can get to the valve train - 5w as opposed to a slower 10w/15w
    The better

My old f22b1 is on 5w-30 semi synth with almost 290xxxkms

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 Accord
    O.K the concensus is 5w-30 so who am I to buck the system,will go with that and many thanks to all who replied.Cheers Albie.

I wasn't disputing your earlier comments, nor was I suggesting that a 10W or 15W oil should be used. I was clearing up the confusion that the OP seemed to have regarding the numbers (based on his reference to QLD temps seldom getting below 6 deg, hence a 10 or 15W oil should do the job).

My earlier comment "
    Was referring to the 5W30 recommendations. Ultimately, on a healthy engine (normally anything under 100000km is safe) use what the OEM recommends.

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Yes true
    But mostly engine wear occurs on start up
    So the quicker oil can get to the valve train - 5w as opposed to a slower 10w/15w
    The better

My old f22b1 is on 5w-30 semi synth with almost 290xxxkms

This is why new oil filters have anti drain plugs. There always be oil on the top, but its true. Thinner oil is easier to pump then thicker oil.

OP strong recommend on them s2k filters. At low rpms you could be starving the engine of oil, k24 can retard the cam up to 25deg i think on low rpms to gain max torque. The cam actuator uses oil pressure to do this.

S2k oil filter lets oil freely flow if the pressure gets too low, hence the statement unfiltered oil is better then having close to no oil.

I think this is how it works. Well atleast in my head.