Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan

Incontinent ED Civic

Every few months the old Civic will lose approx. a cup of coolant from the overflow tank, nothing more nothing less all in one go. Have changed rad cap with little effect. Keep thinking head gasket, but have experienced this many years before and the issue should get worse over time till....

Any thoughts ?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Are you running the proper coolant mix? I had this issue when mostly water was used and not proper coolant.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Good point. Must admit that over time I only use distilled water to top it up, so the coolant would be mixing out. Time for a flush me thinks. Last time I used authentic Honda coolant so should I still stick with this or use a 3rd party eg Tecalloy ?
    Last edited by EDCivic; 27-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCivic View Post
    Good point. Must admit that over time I only use distilled water to top it up, so the coolant would be mixing out. Time for a flush me thinks. Last time I used authentic Honda coolant so should I still stick with this or use a 3rd party eg Tecalloy ?
    nulon type 2 if you use aftermarket, some contain additives that hondas dont like, so check up on it first.
    SSpamily

hehe

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    This happened to my ED9 thats when i decided enough is enough and went to replace the entire engine already.
    While it may seem to be different for each ED. Given the age of the ED's the amount of km's. It can often have a life in the 200,000+ 300,000 km's .
    During that time there is no doubt a battle on the varying problems i was experiencing that was never ending replace the alternator, distributor. new coolant lines etc etc.

If the leak is on the hot part of the engine the coolant will evaporate quickly traces of this you can notice is the white/yellowish crystal deposit/powder or its location somewhere on the hoses or cooling system.

A slow leak might not be detected in the oil, but also look for oil in the coolant reservoir.
    If your topping up frequently then it should be pure coolant ... oil in your coolant i would suggests head gasket.
    Those overflow bottle's for the ED's are made of plastic fantastic ... ... NOT! hahahah check that too might have crack/s damages that probably require a much more closer inspection.

Another thought - the amount you are losing could be the amount burped out in air pockets and bubbles over time.
    If you are stumped I'd properly drain and fill the coolant one last time and properly warm up and burp all air from the system. Might just help out :0)

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Thanks Benjamin, know where your coming from re fix this, fix that. We have owned it for around 14 years and it has done 400,000k but must admit after fix this fix that it goes well for another 12 months. I will get some fresh coolant and flush the system. There is the odd tell tale mark around the top tank so perhaps it looses enough pressure from time to time to allow it to boil over. No sign of oil in o/flow tank or under rocker cover cap but as you said it could be a pin hole leak in head gasket. Was thinking could it be the thermostat playing up (has never been changed) ?

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    We have owned it for around 14 years and it has done 400,000k

thats impressive man !

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Thanks...motor, auto transmission and even drive shafts are original. It is just becoming slightly arthritic as expected for a car of this age and k's, but don't mind throwing a few hundred $$$'s every year or so at it.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    u got any pics of the beast.
    Would be nice to see. !?!?!

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    May '91 build....

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    wow that looks tidy. Nice work on keeping it looking good for 14 years.