Honda Legend KB1 06-08 - Rear Diff Fluid Change - Which fluid?

Hi all,

Have been doing some research online regarding the type of fluid I require for my Legend KB1. The service manual indicates that this requires the ATF-Z1 fluid, which now has been superseded by ATF-DW1. ATF-Z1 was the recommended oil for BOTH the transmission and rear diff. However, from all the research I've done on both the Honda Legend (and Acura RL - US equivalent), it seems to suggest that the new ATF-DW1 works well as the transmission replacement fluid, but not so much for the rear diff due to it being thinner in viscosity. Honda service center seems to suggest the use of ATF-DW1, as the rear diff in newer models (MY10+) tend to come pre-filled with ATF-DW1.

Keen to hear your thoughts on the above. Do I use ATF-DW1 for my rear diff? Thanks!

Quote from a Honda-Tech forum:
    You might have found out by now that Honda has basically discontinued their ATF-Z1 automatic transmission fluid.

For future automatic transmission use, they've released ATF-DW1.

You might not have realized that the SH-AWD rear differentials ALSO came filled with ATF-Z1 until mid way through the 2010 model year.

All 2011 SH-AWDs come with Honda's new fluid, DPSF, which replaces ATF-Z1 for the rear differential.

While it has a part number similar to Honda's Dual Pump Fluid II (used in the CRV and Element), it is an entirely different fluid.

Retail prices are about the same for all these, typically less than $10 a qt.

Older MDXs (non SH-AWD) will continue to use the VTM-4 fluid that they (and Ridgelines and Pilots) have always used.

Not all your local Acura dealers know this, some of them may want to put DW1 into your diff, others might want to put DPSF into your transmission. If you have your Acura serviced at a Honda dealer, they don't have the DPSF in the Honda lineup, and probably wouldn't think or know to look it up. They cannot use Dual Pump Fluid II, and they might not have any ATF-Z1 left.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    I had to change my rear diff chambers oil's last year some time, I did had to use the DPSF-II fluid

Be careful to refill both chambers if you drain both chambers. (two separate drain and filler bolts). Pretty sure your model will have the clutch and hypoid chambers.

Rear hypoid Chamber takes about 700ml
    Front clutch chamber takes just under 3L

Thanks for the response! Appreciate it. What car (and year) do you have?

From reviewing the video, both the Hypoid Chamber & Clutch Chamber are next to each other. So you are spot on!

For the Hypoid chamber (0.7L), did you use the DPSFII or did you use "hypoid gear oil GL4/GL5" or "Honda SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil"? Do you happen to have the Honda part number for this? Would like to ensure that I am picking up the right one as I can't seem to source any locally from a brief search online. How did the car run after the oil change?

Did you also change the transfer fluid in the process?

Cheers.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    I used DPSFII in both chambers, my legend was built 2011.

No part number sorry.

Yes I did the oil change in the transfer case as well. I used what ever oil my parts guy at the dealership recommended. The car drives fine after the oil change, probably added 10K to the dial since the major service.

Have you asked your local Honda parts dealer for the correct oils type and availability ?
    Last edited by ECU-MAN; 04-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.

I asked the dealer, they say refer to the 'manual'. Not much help really when the manual says ATF-Z1 which has been superceeded by DW1. They seemed abit clueless. Ah well!

Appreciate your feedback!

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    I had the problems before. All the wa dealership says to use dw1. I questioned them. And i ended up using dpsf2 . Been 20k km. Seems fine

Mine is 07 kb1
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....