Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Found out a bit more interesting info on brake upgrades for the Beat via a fellow Australian Beat owner.

GD Jazz (1st gen) calipers and disks are a direct bolt on to Beat hubs. Only issue is a slight mis-alignment meaning that the inner pad will make contact with the disk. This is the same issue with the more common Integra Type-R/Prelude brake upgrade on EG/EK/DC2 where the disk must be spaced 3mm away from the hub, or have the caliper bracket shaved/machined. I've been doing a bit more research on it and although I can't find anything that's 100% certain, the 2 Jazz model brakes are supposedly interchangeable hence if you wanted to you could even run the 262mm disks and larger calipers which are found on the GE Jazz (2nd gen). Wheel and perhaps even suspension clearance could become an issue, but it's certainly an option.

At this stage I have already bought new OEM pads for mine and with a heap of expenses coming up this mod will have to wait but will certainly experiment with it in the future. Personally I think upgrading to 240mm disks will be a sufficient performance upgarde from the OEM 213mm rotors, without adding too much unsprung weight. Running 14" wheels may also become an issue with the 262's.
    Getting there...

Nice pickup with the NR10s, 14s are usually ok to run with 262s. So did you find that the rotor should be spaced 3mm like the 282 swap on Civics/Integras etc or it just needs to be spaced by a certain amount?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Yeah I think the 262's might fit but tbh I think that's overkill for me as I'm only running 165 wide tyres up front that might even struggle to grip up with the 240mm rotors and a good set of pads. I also want to be able to fit the OEM 13" wheels if need be.
    Unforunately haven't measured up the setup yet... Will hopefully give it a go this week and see what I need to do about the brake lines as the banjo fittings are a different size. Hopefully the EG lines will go straight in otherwise might have to make up some custom ones.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Got around to mounting the GD calipers last night and it turned out to be even easier than expected. Literally direct bolt on. Only things required are Jazz calipers, pads, disks and the removal of the original heat shield behind the factory Beat disks. Piece of cake. Have bled the system and took her out for a spin... absolutely over the moon with the upgrade. IMO excatly what the brakes should have been like from factory. On OE replacement Brembo pads it pulls up so bloody nicely without biting too hard. Perfect modulation. The extra meat on the disks is definitely a piece of mind when driving through the hills where they will reach higher temps.

Only issue is that now the stock 13" front wheels do not fit without +5mm spacer. I think if you really wanted to make it fit you could get the file/grinder out and shave down the caliper a touch but i'm not too fussed by this. If I do sell the Beat on can always give the option of putting the OE brakes back on as it's literally a half hour job (plus brake bleed).
    Last edited by Tegzieboi_BAR; 07-06-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    240mm setup... unfortunately havent got a pre-upgrade photo to compare to. Still looks pretty tiny but has really made a world of difference when braking. As mentioned earlier no longer fits the OEM 13" wheels without a small spacer which is the only down side

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160607_113223_zpskdy5yj2y.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	29696

Have now parted with the NR10's but before I did I gave the car a quick clean and took her out for the first time in close to a year! I really love these wheels but I'm starting to run out room in the shed so unfortunately they had to go. Here's a couple of quick snaps I took.

Name:	Sd_zpssdbwzvk4.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	29697

Name:	20160429_170829_zpsiw9nq1k8.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	29698

Out with the old... In with the new

Name:	20160521_130016_zpselzgu1sm.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	29699

It has taken much longer than I had hoped but have had to wait for over 6 months for a couple of parts that really should have taken a couple of weeks to get here, but finally next week she's going in to have the engine and box freshened up, and then off to the crash shop for a bit of love. Fingers crossed by the time the weather over here in SA improves the Beast will be all done and ready to rumble!
    Last edited by Tegzieboi_BAR; 15-06-2016 at 09:47 AM.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5b18c/SB1/PP1
    Looking good mate. Nice new set as well looking forward to seeing them on car.
    Def need to check out this new setup of yours to compare the braking and engine. Mine needs a freshening up but will have to wait until EG gets back on road after LSD gear box and headers upgrade.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Sweet car,didn't know they existed. .

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1991 Honda Beat

Beat upgrade

I just imported a Beat to The USA, and I need a new front caliper (mine has seized up from the long boat ride from Japan). Reading your post about upgrading to Jazz front brakes, I have a few questions. The Jazz is the same as the Honda Fit here in the States, so it should be a better and easier upgrade for me.
    What if any issues did you have, I saw you said I needed to use all Jazz components (Caliper, pads and Rotors) and removing the Heat shield. Any other issues? I'm running 14" wheels all around.
    Love your Beat, awesome!
    Thank you!
    Mark

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Beat

Need a Beat

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Im in Sydney and own 3 Beats although one was involved in a hit and run and written off. See my web site www.hondabeat.com.au I can post more information if you are interested, I have information about brakes, suspension etc. Have a look here http://hondabeat.com.au/Parts/ it is a work in progress so any feedback would be good.

Attachment 28494Attachment 28495
    Hi

Today a semi changed lanes, spun me at 100kmh so Im looking for another Beat, Needs to be straight a able to get rego, I have most parts to repair one.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by OxenBeat View Post
    I just imported a Beat to The USA, and I need a new front caliper (mine has seized up from the long boat ride from Japan). Reading your post about upgrading to Jazz front brakes, I have a few questions. The Jazz is the same as the Honda Fit here in the States, so it should be a better and easier upgrade for me.
    What if any issues did you have, I saw you said I needed to use all Jazz components (Caliper, pads and Rotors) and removing the Heat shield. Any other issues? I'm running 14" wheels all around.
    Love your Beat, awesome!
    Thank you!
    Mark
    As per the PM i sent you, it's literally as described in the post above. Unbolt the old calipers and rotors, mount the new, bleed and she's ready to go! Just make sure you've got the GD model (1st gen) Jazz/Fit calipers and rotors which are 240mm in diameter... hopefully the US models are the same as what we get here. Post up some pics of yours when you get a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Hi

Today a semi changed lanes, spun me at 100kmh so Im looking for another Beat, Needs to be straight a able to get rego, I have most parts to repair one.

Thanks
    That's terrible news mate! I'm always very cautious when driving in a blind spot of cars as the Beats are so tiny and easilly missed in the rearview. Did you end up crashing into a barrier or anything? Hope you got out of it without any injuries! Is the chassis/body repairable? Anywhoo best of luck finding a replacement.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    A little update on mine... it's been at the workshop for over a month now the engine overall is in pretty good knick... as you'd expect at only 80,XXX odd k's. However the valves were pretty worn down and the shop doing the head work recommended I order up some new valves as the current valves have reached the minimum tolerance and cannot be machined. It's now been a month since I've ordered the valves through Honda AU and they still haven't arrived! Luckily the weather in SA is still pretty shithouse so not losing out on much driving really. The head itself has got the works! Ultra Sonic bathed, CNC'd seats and throats and full port & polish. Will try and get some photos before it goes in as this thing looks brand spankin new! Hopefully can squeeze another half a HP out of it haha
    Getting there...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Beat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegzieboi_BAR View Post
    As per the PM i sent you, it's literally as described in the post above. Unbolt the old calipers and rotors, mount the new, bleed and she's ready to go! Just make sure you've got the GD model (1st gen) Jazz/Fit calipers and rotors which are 240mm in diameter... hopefully the US models are the same as what we get here. Post up some pics of yours when you get a chance

That's terrible news mate! I'm always very cautious when driving in a blind spot of cars as the Beats are so tiny and easilly missed in the rearview. Did you end up crashing into a barrier or anything? Hope you got out of it without any injuries! Is the chassis/body repairable? Anywhoo best of luck finding a replacement.

He overtook me, when his front was level with my front changed lane into me, I swerved and spun, the rear trailer wheels hit my front spun me into the armco. On the M5 at 7am and didn't hit another car.