Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 euro 07

EJ8 d16y8 - engine oil for 200,000km

Haven't been on here in a while, just wondering what your thoughts are for engine oil in a d16y8 about to hit 200,000km (exactly on 198,000).
    I've been using castrol magnatec 10w-40 for 3-4 years have had no problems, however now its hitting winter and the car's about to hit 200,000km, thought it might be time to try another oil for lesser oil/petrol consumption.

I'm going to get a new fuel filter from honda today too.
    Thanks ozhonda.
    5 hondas in 1 life is enough!!

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Penrite hpr5 5w40 or something else with a decent zinc content and is full synthetic
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Use thicker oil in winter and with high mileage i think 20-50 would be ideal.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Wtf you should use THINNER oil in winter
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    even 10w40 is ideal, depends if you burning oil or anything too
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    EK BRITTANY
    i use nulon 15-50 street&track oil. really good oil. my engine burns but with this oil it wont eat as much as other brands, which i weird but yeah. i recommend that brand.

Why are you guys using 20W-50 or 15W-50 on a small NA engine is beyond me =|

If your engine is really that ****ed 10W-50 [FYI that's what I use on my Turbo] is the heaviest I would go...

5W-40 like Fredoops suggested would be the the recommendation pending engine condition...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Why are you guys using 20W-50 or 15W-50 on a small NA engine is beyond me =|

If your engine is really that ****ed 10W-50 [FYI that's what I use on my Turbo] is the heaviest I would go...

5W-40 like Fredoops suggested would be the the recommendation pending engine condition...
    What are the cons of using a heavier oil like 20W-50

I bought Castrol GTX 15W-40 for my Del sol which is completely standard. Would that oil be ok for the engine (140,000km) I have no idea about how to select an oil yet.

10-40 is fine.
    Thats what I use in my d15b4 which has 510, 000 ks.
    I tried some thicker oil once because I thought with such high k's the rings would be ****ed but it burnt oil like crazy and felt sluggish, went back to 10-40 and it runs fine

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    What are the cons of using a heavier oil like 20W-50

I bought Castrol GTX 15W-40 for my Del sol which is completely standard. Would that oil be ok for the engine (140,000km) I have no idea about how to select an oil yet.
    Using heavy weight oils in 'Hi-Tech' NA is like running the human body on fats/oils, eventually your heart will give out... Same with the car, the engine may not be burning oil or that noisy, but that's because you're making the engine struggle. As for oil sensitive systems such as VTEC, I don't want to think about the consequences.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Using heavy weight oils in 'Hi-Tech' NA is like running the human body on fats/oils, eventually your heart will give out... Same with the car, the engine may not be burning oil or that noisy, but that's because you're making the engine struggle. As for oil sensitive systems such as VTEC, I don't want to think about the consequences.
    So what you're telling me is that using 15w-40 is probably harming my engine and even more so after vtec point? If you were in my shoes and your car was standard what oil would you be using? (assuming your car was a del sol)

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Once the cars warm the consistency would be the same, it's start from cold thats the issue.