Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Right... and in regards to me previous post: So it will improve performance right and will not actually decrease power or torque? as i have read around where sometimes this can happen.

also, the bigger the tip of the exhaust, would it produce more sound?

Because i want an exhaust from their that will sound deep and is mid-loud. But mainly something that sound really deep rather than that bad noise i hear from some exhausts that sound like farts. Do you think they'd be able to do that?

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    It may improve 1or 2 horsepower and torque but nothing major

Yes you can achieve that deeper sound but you need to use 2 mufflers and not just a resonator and cannon or for sure it sounds like lawnmower lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Hmm well ill have to have a look see what i can do.
    Thanks for all your help!

On the subject of gain or loss? This is in NO relation to Dandy, I'm located in Sydney so I don't know them, just some theory...

When you hear stories of losses with bolt ons... Its usually because people do it wrong without researching properly.

Intake for example is very easy to stuff up, just replace your factory airbox with a pod [ie plug a pod on the end of a factory intake pipe]. To the ignorant they may sound like they're going faster, on a turbo car it might not matter so much but on very fussy and efficient small NA engines like yours, Honda didn't spend all that $$$ and research only to be beaten by a $100+ pod filter so you lose power, torque and response. Proper kits [SRI/CAI] are needed to gain anything other than noise however you need to weigh up the gains and cost...

Same with exhaust, there is a lot of theories and what not, its easy to get it wrong though... Cheap and rough jobs will cause imperfections and flow which interrupt the exhaust gas getting out in an efficient manner. Result is loss of power, torque and response... Going too big on a small NA engine is also bad... Same result...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    I have installed a Exhaust w/midpipe now which i gave to dandy exhausts to get installed. I purchased a 2nd hand DC5R 5zigen proracer a spec exhaust and installed it on my stock dc5.

The sound is produces now is not too bad. Is there any way i can adjust it to produce more sound at all on the exhaust?

Member Array
    The sound (tone,volume) is dictated by the bore of the exhaust, the number of bends (mandrel vs press),the main muffler construction and the resonator. The easiest(cheapest) way to get it louder is to delete the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. The problem with this is that it can make the exhaust illegal from a noise perspective and also can become very boomy in the car at highway speeds. To get something you're happy with will cost money. Maybe you're better off getting the local exhaust shop to come up with some options for you which you can hear on your car and you work out what you can afford and which sound you like the best.

What ever you do - try and keep the original exhaust so you can put it back to stock when you sell the car. Generally mods will tend to detract from price rather than add to it unless you use expensive brand name JDM gear and even then there is a limit. I know as I've owned over 30 cars and have done money cold before.

Quote Originally Posted by aspirin_ash7 View Post
    I have installed a Exhaust w/midpipe now which i gave to dandy exhausts to get installed. I purchased a 2nd hand DC5R 5zigen proracer a spec exhaust and installed it on my stock dc5.

The sound is produces now is not too bad. Is there any way i can adjust it to produce more sound at all on the exhaust?
    An increased number of JASMA approved catbacks have a reducer pipe inside to make it comply to the JASMA level [90dB, 96dB or 98dB]. So while the tip maybe say 120mm, the reducer inside actually makes the pipe more like 90mm. Might be possible to remove the reducer to make it louder if that's your aim.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    will take a look, thanks for all the help!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 DC5 Lux AUTO
    aspirin is basically asking all the questions i need to ask since i just got a 06 dc5 auto as well..

is it possible to have this kind of combination?

deep/mean/subtle kind of sound
    still almost as quiet as possible
    doesnt attract cops
    increases power

???

DreadAngel i think i need to hire u as a consultant for mods for my car!! you're in all these threads!
    -----
    Selling my Black EK in VIC cheap! Click here.

Don't hate. Educate.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanufacturer View Post
    aspirin is basically asking all the questions i need to ask since i just got a 06 dc5 auto as well..

is it possible to have this kind of combination?

deep/mean/subtle kind of sound
    still almost as quiet as possible
    doesnt attract cops
    increases power

???

DreadAngel i think i need to hire u as a consultant for mods for my car!! you're in all these threads!
    yes you can achieve those goals but being an auto the minor power gains will be quite muted

using 2 of this style of muffler with 2.5" piping

a subtle rear tip or even painted black for less cop attention

and avoid this type of muffler style as they are usually louder

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Search around on this forum under the Parts for Sale thread- wait till someone sells a DC5 aftermarket exhaust (either Type R or Type S)
    You can either go with a catback or full exhaust with headers.
    Lot of people say dont go with full exhausts with header for a auto but Sky is the limit.

I waited around the forums and bought an 5zigen Proracer Exhaust catback with midpipe.
    When i went to install it i had to change some of the piping as it came of a type R and didnt directly go onto my base model so thats a FYI.
    Sounds deep and is pretty quiet toned as well i really love it.
    Let me know how you go + goodluck!

Member Array
    Car:
    Int5
    Save up and go for full exhaust with headers man else don't bother with catback, for the price you pay only 1 or 2 hp gain or you could loose power. Also you need other supporting engine mods too for bit more power gain, even that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in power gain. Engine mods aren't cheap either.
    It'd be better off spending on improving braking/handling with base models.
    If you want power then save up buy type r or s or even dc2r.

If you have time read timmy_b base dc5 build thread there are heaps of great info there
    Last edited by int5; 13-03-2013 at 11:31 PM.