Thread: B16A2 max rpm?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

B16A2 max rpm?

Am running shot peinned stock crank and rods with ctr pistons. My tuner is part way through and asked if I wanted to bump the max rpm up because it's still making power at 8800.
    I'm sure the head (skunk2 pro goodies) could handle it but would it be wise to not mess with the limiter?
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    I have no experience but considering b16 have such a short stroke and croobra with tight r motor, b18c7 long stroke and still rev to 11.5k rpm

If you have unlimited budget, just Yolo and go for 12.5k rpm

If money is tight, stick to whatever the motor builder recommend. Personally I would go to 9k rpm if you have supporting head job mods
    SSpamily

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    cheers
    played it safe, left it at 8.8 and made 170hp atw
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Sweet - good numbers.

I remember at a track day some guy came over and started talking Hondas. He seemed to know his stuff (although could have been a keyboard hero for all I knew). He said that the stock B16's are safe up to 8700 - 8800 and will live at those revs all day, but above that you need to start upgrading, or you will have problems. I don't know how much truth is in that (I'm no Honda expert) but mine is set at 8700 anyway, so I'm happy to leave it there.

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Seriously?!!?!

You give him an opinion and tell him that opinion may not be true.

WTF?! seriously GTFO !

Quote Originally Posted by Hondarally View Post
    Sweet - good numbers.

I remember at a track day some guy came over and started talking Hondas. He seemed to know his stuff (although could have been a keyboard hero for all I knew). He said that the stock B16's are safe up to 8700 - 8800 and will live at those revs all day, but above that you need to start upgrading, or you will have problems. I don't know how much truth is in that (I'm no Honda expert) but mine is set at 8700 anyway, so I'm happy to leave it there.

Yeh Seriously. An opinion. Who'd have thought it - on an internet forum and all.

Shoot me for not being able to back up my comment with research. That's why I said I'm no expert - you know, so he wouldn't be blindly following the advice of some random he's never met on the internet.

I'm sorry if this offended you. If it did, then perhaps you're the one who should GTFO

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I have a built head on a stock block. Have been taking it to 9,000RPM with the OEM cranks/rods/pistons etc for the last 3 years. No worries.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    I have a built head on a stock block. Have been taking it to 9,000RPM with the OEM cranks/rods/pistons etc for the last 3 years. No worries.
    Nice. How many kms do you reckon you have covered during that time?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    SFA! Haha

Seriously though the block will do it easy with that rod/stroke ratio.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Seriously? Using 9k is not a huge issue on stock cast pistons if it only occurs once or twice a lap. 8.8k is safe'ish until the engine starts to wear and lubrication/cooling of the piston/bore starts to fade a tad then BINGO!
    Lights out time! Nothing wrong with ITR/CTR pistons if you keep the revs to a reasonable 8.8k and the engine is not starting to get tired.
    Realistically how often in a lap would you really use 9k? On the main straight, yes, once, otherwise, what's the point?
    Pit bitch for No. 39...

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by 39erman View Post
    Seriously? Using 9k is not a huge issue on stock cast pistons if it only occurs once or twice a lap. 8.8k is safe'ish until the engine starts to wear and lubrication/cooling of the piston/bore starts to fade a tad then BINGO!
    Lights out time! Nothing wrong with ITR/CTR pistons if you keep the revs to a reasonable 8.8k and the engine is not starting to get tired.
    Realistically how often in a lap would you really use 9k? On the main straight, yes, once, otherwise, what's the point?
    I guess you're right. 8,800RPM is safe and 9,000RPM is just pushing it way too much.

Seriously it's my weekend car. When I drive it I DRIVE it.

I'd rather have torque and good gearing to dictate my lap times - I don't think just letting a sub 2.0 NA motor to 9krpm is worth the cost and risk at all.
    Just impress your friends around the block with a 3rd to first flat shift lol. "...wow ! BANG "

Sorry OP IMO - leave it as is.