New Melbourne member with Gen 2, 3 litre questions.

Hello to all, my initial post can be found in the introductory forum but my initial issue is with the opportunity to purchase a 2001 V6 leather gen 2 with approx 210,000 ks on the clock. Whilst I had intended buying a 2005 gen 3, this 2001 appears very clean and straight outside with a very good interior, the vehicle is registered and running but clearly with require work for roadworthy. There are no papers stipulating a timing belt change and so with a 6 cylinder, this would have to be my first consideration. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet and I would expect there may be brake pads, engine mounts and maybe even trans problems. With a car apparently this clean and straight I had considered going with the earlier year and simply having the timing belt and I guess water pump done before anything else. OK.... thanks for putting up with the intro... Now for the Questions... in Melb' what should I conservatively expect to pay for a 3 litre Odyssey timing belt change? I was expecting a $1,000 plus? Am I being ridiculous considering it? I certainly wouldn't drive it around without knowing it had been done... it may never have been replaced (owner has no idea). Next question, ..is 210,000 Ks ok for these 3 litre engines? do they generally wear better than their 2.4 upgrades and lastly (thanks for your patience) is anyone aware of a Honda friendly mechanic maybe inner Melb or eastern suburbs who I could rely on?..I've used many mechanics over the years but these days use Ultra tune for basic servicing. I know you generally get what you pay for but a good clean, straight roadworthy, 2001 with replaced timing belt and relatively low ks may prove to be move reliable and user friendly (for the odd trailer trip) than a 2005 Gen 3 with similar miles. Thanks again for the opportunity to join and your patience in reading this, I welcome all suggestions and ideas re the gen 2 versus gen 3 debate. John

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Don't even bother with the v6
    They share the same transmission as the 4 cyl and tear the auto apart
    Just wait til a nice 3rd gen pops up
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Hi Jasemas, many thanks for taking the time to reply.... Yes, I think you may be correct. I've been obsessing a bit too much about the cost of the timing belt and engine wear when really the common problem is the trans... hadn't thought about the heaviness of the V6 . John