Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ive heard many different stories ~ point is , the main "puilley" is a harmonic balancer for the engine ( not relevant to ALL engines mond you tho!) so ofcourse changing the weight of this object will change the balance characteristics.
    Perhaps then there is precautions to run by or other parts to change too.
    Anyone running a lightweight pulley for a long time out there ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    Ive heard many different stories ~ point is , the main "puilley" is a harmonic balancer for the engine ( not relevant to ALL engines mond you tho!) so ofcourse changing the weight of this object will change the balance characteristics.
    Perhaps then there is precautions to run by or other parts to change too.
    Anyone running a lightweight pulley for a long time out there ?!?
    most jazzes in singapore have changed to lightweight pulleys so far its been more than a year and havent heard of any problem yet... is that consider long enuf???

Member Array
    Car:
    EF7,Stagea
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimp13
    wat car using the A20A engine??? sorry....
    its a 87 prelude si sohc 2L

correct be if im wrong but doesnt the prelude use a b20 engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    EF7,Stagea
    Quote Originally Posted by NeRV
    correct be if im wrong but doesnt the prelude use a b20 engine?
    nah its got a A20A for sum reason its weird coz every1 says it should hav the B20a in it

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    i agree with benji on the premature engine wear.
    keep away from these cheap mods i reckon, better off with the lighten flywheel combo.
    Lighten crank pulley on my supercharger did cause some premature wear.
    but who cares when your boosting 14psi ay.
    to you

OzHONDA FTL

Member Array
    Car:
    06 CRV SPORT

do u know if they make it for the d16a8?

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by kayot1k
    i agree with benji on the premature engine wear.
    keep away from these cheap mods i reckon, better off with the lighten flywheel combo.
    Lighten crank pulley on my supercharger did cause some premature wear.
    but who cares when your boosting 14psi ay.
    does that mean premature engine wear will occur on even an N/A engine with lightened pulley?

and you're saying that this mod is basically useless and will only wear the engine out? cos I'm thinking to install this myself. I need some proven facts.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    the pulley itself is balanced, everything itself is balanced, but the overall engine is not, think of it as the macro- object is not balanced even micro-object is balanced.

it wears the engine out, but it gives more power during that time, cos less effort from the engine to run it

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimp13 View Post
    i ve double checked with a 50 plus year old mechanics who worked for Honda and on Honda cars for more 25 years (he built race cars and races as well), he said definitely no problem with lightweight pulley. Thats becos the light weight pulley itself is balanced. Only difference with the oem one is the weight. How can a balanced yet lighter pulley cause any "unbalance" harmonics to occur?

after installing the lightweight pulley, the throttle of the car is a lot lighter, rpm goes up and down faster. i cant feel as much improvement in the lightened flywheel (although i love the feeling when changing the gear after using the lightened flywheel as the rpm becomes smoother, not jerking when downshift).

i just know that theorically if everything is balanced, how can "unbalance" harmonics occurs? as for the premature engine wear, as i mentioned before, if the car is serviced well (change oil every 5000kms the most on the dot), i doubt there is any issue with the engine wear.

Bennjamin, dun b confused.... we can only try our best to look after the engine rite??? have some fun....
    I second this, took alot of time searching for answers regarding the usual "throw engine out of balance" heard this over so many forums. I asked my Honda mech this same question (he has been working for about 30years+, built honda race engines and is still working at Honda as a mechanic) he has installed these on alot of track cars brought into Honda Melville he hasn't come across a problem about this yet, however he has told me you will sacrifice some small things, idle quality, the oem harmonic pulley has some rubber on it that dampens vibration ect ect, he said it would be very small but its the sacrifice you make to do these mods.

Hope this helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    correct me if i am wrong but when you rebuild a motor and they balance the crank shaft they do so with out the pulley on it.

so if your bottom end is perfectly balanced then you fit a prefectly balanced lightweight crank pulley then the whole thing will be in balance just with a lighter then stock version so i am unsure as to how this is supposed to affect the wear on the engine.

people have been running GFB light weight crank power steering and alternator pulleys for years on WRX's most of these engine up to 250-300KW and never had a problem
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT