PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Jazz CVT problem

markcurtis
04-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Greetings all. Just wondering what folks think of this?

In January this year my 2006 Jazz (1.3L) started shuddering when starting off. The shuddering got progressively worse as time wore on so we took the problem to the local Honda service centre. The response was that they flushed the gear box oil and replaced it with a new better type of oil under warranty. The problem went away.

In Oct/Nov (some 10 or 11 months later) the problem reappeared exactly as before, only this time the car had now done 64,000Km & was declared out of warranty by Honda & thus not covered.

When I quizzed Honda further & after examining our service history Honda declared that since we had not had the car serviced by an authorised Honda service centre (we used a reputable mechanic who charged significantly less but did all services according to the book) and because some services were not done on time, and because the warranty period was now expired we were not covered but... that as a gesture of good will they would pay for half the parts cost leaving us only $1419 to pay for the repair. We are still considering our next move but are rather disappointed to say the least. During the period no gearbox services were suggested in the service guide that came with the car.

Recent research has turned up the following:
1. This is a well known problem for this model Jazz with the CVT transmission.
2. This is relatively common, as can be discovered by searching the Internet. There are even after-market fixes suggested by many, for those people not covered by warranty.
3. Many people have said that Honda have extended the warranty on Jazz's to cover this all over the world, even in Australia.
4. There is a Honda bulletin (HUK000000001117) "this quite clearly clarifies the situation, ALL cvt jazz`s with chassis build code GD1 from 02,03,04,05,06 are included in this extended warranty, it covers as a first measure flushing the gearbox & if that doesnt cure things the a box strip & repair to sort the judder out !!". This appears to be a Honda UK bulletin but it beggars belief that there wouldn't be an equivalent Honda AUS bulletin.

Since our problem began well within the warranty period and was only temporarily resolved by the gear oil flush in January that held off symptoms just long enough for the re-occurrance to fall outside the warranty, I can't help but feel as if we are being done over by Honda.

Thoughts anybody?

90LAN
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
the actually problem is the bearing going in the cvt box

so its actually all labour in this case

but its a common problem

servicing the box more regular will help fix the problem you have
but i guess its too late for you
the service book is not always a indication of when to do things its a guide
it says if you drive more and depending on your driving conditions servicing should be done more

your lucky that they are even helping you out imo
3k is the going rate at honda
to fix this

HondaTechy
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
The problem is not the bearings it shudder in the start clutch assy.

90LAN
04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
The problem is not the bearings it shudder in the start clutch assy.

dam honda techs telling me wrong info then eh
thanks for clearing that up

fundies
06-12-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda should be flogged for selling cars with problems like this. This part should be a FREE replacement, as it'd obviously a major design weakness. If it happens to my CVT Jazz ( 60,000k and alright atm ), no more Honda's for me ever.

dan125
17-12-2009, 08:29 PM
did you happen to have had a battery replaced yet.

stylzjhn
24-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Does this problem occur in most jazz's? I've done about 70,000k's and i havnt had this problem as of yet.

markcurtis
24-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Does this problem occur in most jazz's? I've done about 70,000k's and i havnt had this problem as of yet.

It is a well known problem but I think it only happens in a small percentage of cars.

There are things you can do to stave off the problem as well.
1. Change the gearbox oil more regularly and make sure you use the new special Honda CVT transmission oil.
2. There is an additive called "Oil Extreme" you can put in the gear box oil that apparently helps.

hoey888
27-12-2009, 10:39 AM

honda service bulletins and maintainece interval is currently at 80,000km. best off replacing soon. mine was burnt and black @ 45,000km. since flushed and replaced fluid and drives better

bennjamin
27-12-2009, 09:04 PM
It is a well known problem but I think it only happens in a small percentage of cars.

There are things you can do to stave off the problem as well.
1. Change the gearbox oil more regularly and make sure you use the new special Honda CVT transmission oil.
2. There is an additive called "Oil Extreme" you can put in the gear box oil that apparently helps.

my gfs car has started to do this...its literally a shudder thru the entire drivetrain under medium to heavy load from standstill. 43,000ks.

2007 vti , what steps are to be taken to get this fixed/replaced from honda ?
This issue IS covered....right ?

markcurtis
28-12-2009, 08:00 AM
my gfs car has started to do this...its literally a shudder thru the entire drivetrain under medium to heavy load from standstill. 43,000ks.

2007 vti , what steps are to be taken to get this fixed/replaced from honda ?
This issue IS covered....right ?

If the car is still under warranty you should be OK. I would take it in ASAP. They will probably say "Let's flush the gearbox & see how it goes". That's what they did with mine. Just make it very clear that you know this is a known problem & that it will probably need a new start clutch so you don't want a half-job that will just get them through the warranty period and leave you to pay for the clutch later.

It's also important that you get the regular services done on time & preferably by a Honda dealer. It's not supposed to be important who does the servicing but Honda are easier to deal with if you do it by the book through their dealer network.

nathan_o
15-02-2010, 07:44 AM
I have an 02 Jonda Jazz with the CVT. We bought it with 20,000km on the clock and we are now about to get the 150k km service. The shudder has been there for a while and new oil and start clutch adjustment seems to help but the problem always returns.

My question is, what is the long term future for the car? The wife loves it but I have finally convinced her it needs to go before it blows up on us. To get the transmission re-built would cost about $3-4k apparently. I would rather spend that money changing to a more reliable car with a standard auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

fundies
15-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I have an 02 Jonda Jazz with the CVT. We bought it with 20,000km on the clock and we are now about to get the 150k km service. The shudder has been there for a while and new oil and start clutch adjustment seems to help but the problem always returns.

My question is, what is the long term future for the car? The wife loves it but I have finally convinced her it needs to go before it blows up on us. To get the transmission re-built would cost about $3-4k apparently. I would rather spend that money changing to a more reliable car with a standard auto transmission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

First I'd ask myself what an 02 with 150K on it is worth ? $7000 to $8000 or so. Then ask what you want to spend on a different car, and can you guarantee that car will be trouble free ? If, and I highlight if, you need gearbox repairs to the Jazz, it will probably give you another 150K km's plus, no problems.

Jazzdude
17-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I bought my Jazz in 2003 (brand new) and a few days ago I contacted my local dealer (Great Western Honda) to enquire how much it would cost to replace the CVT oil as it has recently started shuddering again. The guy informed me that Honda have extended their gearbox warranty to 7yrs and I just got in (bought the car in March '03). So the CVT oil change would be free of charge. I was stoked!

This morning I went to drop the car off and the guy there informed me that what they would do is flush the system, then test it. If the problem isn't fully fixed or if they think the gearbox needs replacing, they'll replace it, free of charge. He said that it would normally cost $6000. I left my car with them and went off to work.

Went back to the dealer at 5pm to pick up my car and they informed me that my car now had a brand spankin new CVT gearbox!!! I'm thrilled. They advised me to change the CVT oil more frequently, approx 40k. I'm probably going to change it every 30k. My car has so far done over 120k, and apart from this problem (which originally started at around 70k, but went away after changing the CVT oil, and has re-started again recently), it's a dream to drive. Of course I do take care of it, take it to dealer for regular servicing, only use V-power fuel, warm up engine before driving in the morning etc. With the gearbox, it's like a fresh start now, so as long as I service it well, it should last quite a while.

So my advice is, if your CVT is shuddering, and its been less than 7yrs since you bought it, contact your dealer. Because I bought my car brand new from this dealer, he knows my vehicle history and was able to see that a flush hadn't been carried out earlier, so asked me to come in. Also, all my dealing with them have been really good, and very good quality of service. I'm sure most of the Honda dealers are the same, but I'm very impressed with these guys today.

cazz'shonda
01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
It's also important that you get the regular services done on time & preferably by a Honda dealer. It's not supposed to be important who does the servicing but Honda are easier to deal with if you do it by the book through their dealer network.
Yeah, typically like ALL dealers, they do this because they are then getting your hard earned and it's usually 45-70% more than a qualified mechanic. Then you have to go to them for the replacement anyway as IMO these transmissions are crap.
We decided on a Jazz '03 for our daughter in law and hers has only 41,000km and has had this problem since she bought it. Never thought originally that a Honda would have such a known problem that Honda practically ignore until the warranty runs out. I'd never buy another Honda trick gearbox. Nissan, Renault, Ford, Chev & even Audi all use CVT's and there isn't alot of data about this problem in any of those. CVT's & don't have the problems. Some of them are running V6 and TDi engines with heaps more power/torque than the Jazz's measly 8hp 1.3l engine.

grifty
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
im suprised that Honda are atleast doing something about the CVT problems, they did shit all with the 6th Gen Accords auto boxes......

limleong
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, typically like ALL dealers, they do this because they are then getting your hard earned and it's usually 45-70% more than a qualified mechanic. Then you have to go to them for the replacement anyway as IMO these transmissions are crap.
We decided on a Jazz '03 for our daughter in law and hers has only 41,000km and has had this problem since she bought it. Never thought originally that a Honda would have such a known problem that Honda practically ignore until the warranty runs out. I'd never buy another Honda trick gearbox. Nissan, Renault, Ford, Chev & even Audi all use CVT's and there isn't alot of data about this problem in any of those. CVT's & don't have the problems. Some of them are running V6 and TDi engines with heaps more power/torque than the Jazz's measly 8hp 1.3l engine.

I cannot comment on Renault Ford and Audi but I have done some research on Nissan. Nissan's CVT (especially on the Primera model) from late 90 to mid 2000 has pretty high failure rates. The thing about CVT is they have very little tolerance for irregular transmission oil change and the use of incorrect transmission oil.

thommo
16-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Honda replace trans under warranty up to 160k. get in there quick!!!

Roma
15-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I have a Jazz '06 CVT 1.5 litre that has just come up on 150,000kms. No trouble with CVT so far. Looking at the cost of changing to a new car (which may not be a Jazz as servicing is expensive) vs keeping this one. I use it for work. What would be the way to go? I might lose $2-4K or more changing to a new car and a new CVT (or repair?) costs about that anyway? How much could I get for my car if I sold it privately? I suspect about $12K looking at market values. It's in excellent condition.

fundies
16-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I have a Jazz '06 CVT 1.5 litre that has just come up on 150,000kms. No trouble with CVT so far. Looking at the cost of changing to a new car (which may not be a Jazz as servicing is expensive) vs keeping this one. I use it for work. What would be the way to go? I might lose $2-4K or more changing to a new car and a new CVT (or repair?) costs about that anyway? How much could I get for my car if I sold it privately? I suspect about $12K looking at market values. It's in excellent condition.

Mines excellent and done 70K km's, and I'd be happy with 12K ( 06 VTI with Honda VTI body kit, cvt ).
Just to give you a guide.

Dc_II
15-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok, got off the phone with Honda Service. As we are buying a Jazz for my wife. 2006 model.

CVT flush = $280, Not covered under warranty, the 7 year rule does not apply and the 160km rule isnt real???
They admit there is a problem, and they will do the flush first to see if there is a problem (common procedure) but say that it is not a common problem.

Thats weird... must be who you speak to and when hey?

by the way, we havent bought the car yet... Just planning ahead

panda[cRx]
15-09-2010, 12:17 PM
They admit there is a problem, and they will do the flush first to see if there is a problem (common procedure) but say that it is not a common problem.

Thats weird... must be who you speak to and when hey?

hahaha someone is telling lies. It happens with almost all GD Jazz at some stage. Most of the time the fluid flush will fix it up.
$280 is a bit of a rip off, but you are not their regular service customer and don't even own the vehicle so they probably won't do you any favours unless you complain.

patsdc2
15-09-2010, 02:23 PM
$280 is rip off. Since your car is out of warranty, you might want to try doing it yourself, if you have the correct tools as it's pretty easy.
The fluid itself costs around $100 purchase directly from Honda. Spoon boss actually recommends changing the fluid for every oil change - meaning 10,000kms for each change intervals. How true is that? Not sure.

chriswei
16-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda Warranty Transfer

First time to post the question in there, hopefully someone can help me, lol.

I bought a second-hand 07 Jazz 1.5Vti from Subaru dealer (previous & first owner trade it in) last month which is around 50k kms. Then, the CVT vibration issue comes out now and need to be flush and replace the fluid. The previous & first owner bought the car on Dec 07 and extended the warranty for another 2 years, so the total warranty is 5 yrs or 160,000 km. Thus, my question is, in this case, can I apply the manufactury warrant to Honda dealer without the Warranty Transfer informed? Because the previous owner did not give the Warranty Transfer Form to the dealer, so as mine. Otherwise I have to pay all the fees by myself coz the dealer told me that this issue is not covered under the Statutory Warranty. Pls let me know if the dealer lies to me. Many thanks!!!

fundies
21-09-2010, 06:51 PM
$280 is rip off. Since your car is out of warranty, you might want to try doing it yourself, if you have the correct tools as it's pretty easy.
The fluid itself costs around $100 purchase directly from Honda. Spoon boss actually recommends changing the fluid for every oil change - meaning 10,000kms for each change intervals. How true is that? Not sure.

$100 for tranny oil every 10,000K. That's plain loony:thumbdwn:

patsdc2
01-10-2010, 09:57 AM
$100 for tranny oil every 10,000K. That's plain loony:thumbdwn:

It doesn't cost that much to purchase that particular oil in JP i guess. The fluid cost only SGD$48 in Singapore.

Mikecivic78
11-06-2011, 12:22 AM
when you guys say flush, what do you mean. The manual just says to drain the old fluid and put in the new. I want to do this to my father's GD CVT Jazz. And i have noticed some shudder.

what exactly is the flush procedure?

bennjamin
11-06-2011, 09:19 AM
when you guys say flush, what do you mean. The manual just says to drain the old fluid and put in the new. I want to do this to my father's GD CVT Jazz. And i have noticed some shudder.

what exactly is the flush procedure?

warm up car , drain fluid - about 3l should come out. then fill up again thru the fill tube below airbox.

Go for a drive - accel. to 60km/h then coast to almost 0. Do this approx 4-5times and you have "relearnt" your transmission. This should get rid of most if not all shudders - ideally you will need to drain and fill again soon to guarantee all old fluid is out of gearbox ( some gets stuck up in the torque convertor etc)

Mikecivic78
11-06-2011, 11:26 AM
warm up car , drain fluid - about 3l should come out. then fill up again thru the fill tube below airbox.

Go for a drive - accel. to 60km/h then coast to almost 0. Do this approx 4-5times and you have "relearnt" your transmission. This should get rid of most if not all shudders - ideally you will need to drain and fill again soon to guarantee all old fluid is out of gearbox ( some gets stuck up in the torque convertor etc)

thanks for that mate.

fundies
11-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Do not overfill !!!!!!!!!! Note carefully how much comes out, and replace with the same amount.

BiLL|z0r
11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Mine has started doing this more now ('05 VTi - 90K km's). I took it to my local Honda dealer who knows me by name (2 Honda's, 1 bought from them) and they did a CVT flush for free. On the invoice they charged me for 1 Ltr of CVT fluid but thought more would have been replaced.
The first time it did it was around 50K but was worse this time, especially when cold.

bye evo
12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
We have fixed two GD Honda Jazz's @ work with Tranny Shudder simply by draining the old fluid and replacing it with Genuine Honda CVT Fluid.

My car was always serviced by Honda prior to our current ownership and hasnt had any problems " touch wood "

GU357
19-06-2011, 04:35 PM
If the car is still under warranty you should be OK. I would take it in ASAP. They will probably say "Let's flush the gearbox & see how it goes". That's what they did with mine. Just make it very clear that you know this is a known problem & that it will probably need a new start clutch so you don't want a half-job that will just get them through the warranty period and leave you to pay for the clutch later.

Thats what happened to mine. they said ok we will flush it, and it worked ok for about a month, then we took it back saying its still a problem and they said its no longer under warranty. even though we took it there when it was. Mines a 2003 VTi CVT

BiLL|z0r
09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread again after developments.
To bring everyone up to speed since my last post in this thread. My car now has 103K km's on it and overdue for it's 100K service. The CVT flush worked for a week after they did it @ 90K service then came back again. It's to the point now where the car is terrible to drive so I finally took it back and asked them what is Honda's stand point on this known issue. The service guy confirmed there is a 7 year/140K km extended warranty for this issue. Mine is 6.5years old so just makes it through.
If your car is currently Jan 2005 or newer and has this issue, GET IT FIXED NOW UNDER WTY. It is covered. I went to VonBibra on the Gold Coast for this advice which confirms another posters 7yr wty claim from another dealer.
Their plan of attack is flush the fluid again and log a case with Honda for a new starter clutch. Now I know this is covered I'll be chasing it down like no tomorrow. Should this fail I'll be at them again. Previously I was going to wait until it died then spend the 3K to replace the CVT.
The service manager also discounted my 100K service and the wife's 120K Euro service too when they are done over the coming weeks. We have spent a lot with them over the years servicing 2 Honda's so I hope they look after me.
I'll post back the outcome of the service which is getting done Saturday 14/1/12.

EG52NV
12-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread again after developments.
To bring everyone up to speed since my last post in this thread. My car now has 103K km's on it and overdue for it's 100K service. The CVT flush worked for a week after they did it @ 90K service then came back again. It's to the point now where the car is terrible to drive so I finally took it back and asked them what is Honda's stand point on this known issue. The service guy confirmed there is a 7 year/140K km extended warranty for this issue. Mine is 6.5years old so just makes it through.
If your car is currently Jan 2005 or newer and has this issue, GET IT FIXED NOW UNDER WTY. It is covered. I went to VonBibra on the Gold Coast for this advice which confirms another posters 7yr wty claim from another dealer.
Their plan of attack is flush the fluid again and log a case with Honda for a new starter clutch. Now I know this is covered I'll be chasing it down like no tomorrow. Should this fail I'll be at them again. Previously I was going to wait until it died then spend the 3K to replace the CVT.
The service manager also discounted my 100K service and the wife's 120K Euro service too when they are done over the coming weeks. We have spent a lot with them over the years servicing 2 Honda's so I hope they look after me.
I'll post back the outcome of the service which is getting done Saturday 14/1/12.

Can you please provide more details on the 7yr wty claim for Honda Jazz CVT start clutch shudder problem, called my local dealer Larke Hoskins homebush and they didn't know anything about it, called honda australia and they didnt know anything about it either even after I told them I have confirmation from 2 other owners.

EG52NV
12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Ok Called Von Bibra Gold Coast Honda and spoke to a guy in the service department by the name of Greg (heaps helpful) he confirmed for me the 7yr/160,000km warranty is real!!

service bulletin 2010-12-018 covers all honda Jazz with CVT transmission

GU357
12-01-2012, 04:08 PM
wow so that would include my 2003? CVT jazz.
hmm honda north in perth havent heard of such a thing and when they asked honda australia for them to cover the CVT replacement honda au said no. despite the numerous flushes and changes that havent removed the shudder.

BiLL|z0r
13-01-2012, 07:08 AM
2003 wouldn't be covered, it's now getting to 9 years old man.

EG52NV
13-01-2012, 07:36 AM
2003 wouldn't be covered, it's now getting to 9 years old man.

He's got a point car has to have been less then 7 years old

GU357
14-01-2012, 03:20 AM
i mean it would of been covered when we asked honda.
the cvt thing happened abt a yr after we got it and they said it wasnt covered cause of the VIN when it was clearly not our fault that the shudder occured. they refused to fix ours but did fix the others which were the same.

bennjamin
14-01-2012, 07:42 AM
what was actually fixed/replaced with this issue ? did they simply replace the fluid again or replace a physical part ?

BiLL|z0r
14-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Ah, possibly. Depends when they made the 7 year ruling.

BiLL|z0r
14-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Update: Back from 100K service. They checked the CVT, it's not the infamous CVT shudder in my case. It's a warn gearbox mount. This fits with the symptoms I've been getting. I'll see if I can live with it until next service. I also have an issue when cold it takes ages to engage drive. Warm it's fine. They experienced it themselves but don't know what this could be but have topped up the trans fluid anyway as it was a little low. Time will tell. After the service is does run better but thats likely because of the new oil and spark plugs.

Edit: The gearbox mount failed totally today so it's back to Honda tomorrow to get it replaced *sigh*

EG52NV
28-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Update from me: got the car back from Larke Hoskins in Homebush after I booked it in for CVT shudder problem, they did a flush of the CVT fluid for free, and now shudder is gone. Lets see how long this will last... But good to know the 7yr warranty service bulletin exists.

ouch
29-01-2012, 10:32 PM
FOR FREEE!? really!? im gonna go in tomorrow!

EG52NV
02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
FOR FREEE!? really!? im gonna go in tomorrow!

Yes for free!!

ynot
13-02-2012, 01:24 PM
i got a 2003 CVT jazz, had it since new but recently having some issues with the CVT.

When I go from 'R' to 'D', the revs drop to below normal like it's going to stall or something but it doesn't, it's just that intial change to 'D', after the drop in revs, it goes back up to normal idle rev, any idea what it is?

also just in recent months, when I stay in 'D' and have the air con on, the revs will suddenly go up an extra 500rpm when i'm at a stop then go back down to normal idle rev, it happens I would say around 2 or 3 times when I'm at a stop, without air con on, it doesn't do it???

These things never happened before too, also did a transmission flush around 1 month ago as I was getting a light shudder on take-off, so that fixed the problem. The problems above happened before the transmission shudder too.

anyone have any ideas?

EG52NV
15-02-2012, 04:15 PM
i got a 2003 CVT jazz, had it since new but recently having some issues with the CVT.

When I go from 'R' to 'D', the revs drop to below normal like it's going to stall or something but it doesn't, it's just that intial change to 'D', after the drop in revs, it goes back up to normal idle rev, any idea what it is?

also just in recent months, when I stay in 'D' and have the air con on, the revs will suddenly go up an extra 500rpm when i'm at a stop then go back down to normal idle rev, it happens I would say around 2 or 3 times when I'm at a stop, without air con on, it doesn't do it???

These things never happened before too, also did a transmission flush around 1 month ago as I was getting a light shudder on take-off, so that fixed the problem. The problems above happened before the transmission shudder too.

anyone have any ideas?

I suspect the egr valve is on its way out.. The Mrs car has same issue.. But can't afford to replace so just driving it as is... Go Honda car yard park your car around the corner, ask to take one of their cars for a test drive, take it around the corner and swap the egr valve with your one lolz

Mikecivic78
15-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Go Honda car yard park your car around the corner, ask to take one of their cars for a test drive, take it around the corner and swap the egr valve with your one lolz

goot advaice

just make sure you don't go dressed like this guy
http://i43.tinypic.com/33en2g3.jpg

ynot
17-02-2012, 09:46 AM
lol how much are the egr valve?

i'm not very technical so i have no idea where or what it is

ouch
17-03-2012, 10:12 AM
called up the services department at larke hoskins honda and they said i need to change my transmission fluid first (which costs $200). if the problem still occurs then they will talk to honda and see if this matter is still warrantable. wtf is this shit.

GU357
17-03-2012, 12:25 PM
yeh,
they call up the honda hq in melbourne and ask if they will provide a special warranty deal so that your honda dealer can change the CVT unit/ start clutch at no cost to you.

Despite the fact that my shudder occured 2 yrs after buying the car, honda said its not their fault and my 2003 jazz isnt in the right vin category, yet they were swapping 2004 models which had the issue and fixxing them up under warranty.
then last yr it went in for service and i told them to flush it, they flushed it took it for a test, and said the shudder is still noticable, and that they would call Honda HQ and ask them for the warranty thing, but Honda HQ rejected our claim, despite the history of flushesand CVT oil changes over the past years.

i hope you have better luck

EG52NV
17-03-2012, 03:56 PM
called up the services department at larke hoskins honda and they said i need to change my transmission fluid first (which costs $200). if the problem still occurs then they will talk to honda and see if this matter is still warrantable. wtf is this shit.

Did you ask if your vin was covered under the service bullitin? Service bullitin covers fluid change and if that doesn't solve problem change of start clutch

GU357
17-03-2012, 07:12 PM
EG52NV i cant find the an AU service bulletin for it, could you link us?
or post VINs?

EG52NV
17-03-2012, 11:08 PM
EG52NV i cant find the an AU service bulletin for it, could you link us?
or post VINs?

Are you guys fricken blind?

Ok Called Von Bibra Gold Coast Honda and spoke to a guy in the service department by the name of Greg (heaps helpful) he confirmed for me the 7yr/160,000km warranty is real!!

GU357
18-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I personally am not but my brother has stigmatism?

fundies
30-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Going to do a quick CVT fluid change before I sell the GD VTI ( I just bought a nice low kay 09 VTIS !!!!!!! YAY, with a bloody manual YAY !!!!!! )

Does anyone know if Honda sell a 3.5 Litre bottle of CVTF ? They do overseas, and it makes sense as this is the volume required. Last time it was 4 X 1 litre bottles at close to $100, and half a bottle not needed.

chinx_4eva
11-04-2012, 01:13 AM
my GD3 2003 just touched 200,000km :)

Bwen
11-04-2012, 10:17 AM

My girlfriend is looking at buying a CVT 2006 Jazz, it currently has a light shudder at the moment when taking off and even more so when taking off up hill. If it's serviced at the right intervals, would this service bulletin fix any problems that it has currently that isn't related to the gearbox oil? Would this problem occur again in the future even after the 7year/160000km warranty wears off?

Mikecivic78
11-04-2012, 01:00 PM
My girlfriend is looking at buying a CVT 2006 Jazz, it currently has a light shudder at the moment when taking off and even more so when taking off up hill. If it's serviced at the right intervals, would this service bulletin fix any problems that it has currently that isn't related to the gearbox oil? Would this problem occur again in the future even after the 7year/160000km warranty wears off?

just flush it and see what happens. If it is minor, it might do the trick

Bwen
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
just flush it and see what happens. If it is minor, it might do the trick

We haven't bought the car yet, it's the best example we've found a Jazz in the price range but the only problem is the shudder. I haven't driven any other Jazzs so I'm not sure if it's a problem with the CVT Jazz cars. I don't want to buy the car then only find the shudder gets much worse even after a transmission flush or even evolve to the point where the car needs a major gearbox rebuild/replacement

fundies
11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Just change the fluid and see how you go. Mine just took 3 litres ( $75 ) of CVTF. You must be careful not to overfill. 3 litres puts the oil level between low and full on the dipstick after the fluid change, right where it is supposed to be. Minor shudder eradicated !!!!!!!!!!

GU357
11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
the flush is a temporary fix, in most cases if the shudder has been around for a while even after oil changes, then there is damage to the clutch.

honda doesnt seem to intent on fixing the issue, they rejected my claim of the shudder when it occured 2 yrs after purchase in 03. eventually we convinced them to ask honda AU to put forward a claim for us to replace it under an extended warranty, using evidence of flushes and oil changes to confirm that we had played by the book and it was still not working properly. Honda pretty much said no and refused the service.

so if thats an indication of how intent they are of fixxing it i would say get the manual

Mikecivic78
11-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Just change the fluid and see how you go. Mine just took 3 litres ( $75 ) of CVTF. You must be careful not to overfill. 3 litres puts the oil level between low and full on the dipstick after the fluid change, right where it is supposed to be. Minor shudder eradicated !!!!!!!!!!

the flush is a temporary fix, in most cases if the shudder has been around for a while even after oil changes, then there is damage to the clutch.

I did the same for my old man's GD1 and it is fixed completely. That was months ago, all good

As you can see (knock on wood) it's not always temporary and doesn't always come back.

It almost seems like if you get flushin' early, it can be stopped in its tracks before major damage is done (at least in our 2 cases)

I told my old man I'll flush it every 20,000 or annually just to be sure there's no problems. Honda's service intervals are negligibly wrong and too long.

EG52NV
11-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Hondas service intervals are negligibly wrong and too long.

I reckon! I nearly spat out my coffee when I was reading through the recommended service intervals and work required in the log book!

ouch
28-05-2012, 04:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006Z8WOIM/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

Is this the oil I should be using?

GU357
28-05-2012, 06:09 AM
genuine honda cvt fluid is what you need

ouch
28-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Well, isn't that it?

GU357
28-05-2012, 03:44 PM
yes??

ouch
07-06-2012, 11:48 PM
anyome know where the drain hole is for cvt transmission?

10KRPM
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
yeah i would like to know as well. Put the jazz up on a ramp on the weekend to do the flush and for the life of me could not find it. Its not in the service manual and its not marked like the engine oil plug was.

So if anyone knows....that would be great as i would love to save myself 100 or so dollars in labour at the mechanics

ouch
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
i found out! its the big one that uses the socket wrench itself to open up. i forgot what size it is, but its either 3/8, 1/4 or 1/2 inch!

Mikecivic78
11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
yeah i would like to know as well. Put the jazz up on a ramp on the weekend to do the flush and for the life of me could not find it. Its not in the service manual and its not marked like the engine oil plug was.

So if anyone knows....that would be great as i would love to save myself 100 or so dollars in labour at the mechanics
The drain plug is easily visible when you take off the passengers side wheel. It is square ratchet bit bolt. You refill it through the dipstick hole just use hose and funnel combo to refill. Extremely easy to do.

10KRPM
11-11-2012, 02:00 PM
lol had a suspicion that it was that bolt.....oh well didnt have the tool for it anyways, will have to put it on hold until i get one

lyss
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I got an old 2004 1.5 CVT Jazz last year. I didn't do much research and trusted the mechanic that looked after the car since the first owner purchased it.

Right after closing the deal, I noticed the vibration when taking off with the car in a up hill. It would do a little vibration. So, I took the car to a service and asked the mechanic to change the oil. The problem improved a little bit.

Now I noticed that the vibration has worsened and when I have the car full, it seems that the car loses power and does not respond quite well.

I noticed this problem is quite common, I would like to ask if you guys know a good and trustworthy place to take the car and/or the solution you guys have found and an idea of cost for fixing it.

Cheers and thank you in advance for that!

GU357
05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Take the car to a Honda dealer and have the CVT Flushed, alternatively you can have it drained and refilled but this wont remove all the gunk from the transmission.
if the problem still persists straight away then that means damage has been done to the start clutch, and the only way to completely remove the shudder is to have the start clutch replaced ($1600 from honda from memory)

If the flush eliminates the problem then just have CVT fluid Drained every 10,000kms at the service, you can even drain it yourself and fill it up.
and then a flush every 50,000 or so, but a flush needs to be done by honda since they have the machines.

good luck

lyss
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Take the car to a Honda dealer and have the CVT Flushed, alternatively you can have it drained and refilled but this wont remove all the gunk from the transmission.
if the problem still persists straight away then that means damage has been done to the start clutch, and the only way to completely remove the shudder is to have the start clutch replaced ($1600 from honda from memory)

If the flush eliminates the problem then just have CVT fluid Drained every 10,000kms at the service, you can even drain it yourself and fill it up.
and then a flush every 50,000 or so, but a flush needs to be done by honda since they have the machines.

good luck

I did as GU357 said and the shudder has disappeared completely. Total cost of the service at the Scotts Honda - Artarmon was $441.00. The transmission was flushed, oil replaced and that's it. Shudder gone, hopefully for good.

Before posting here, I took the car to these garage: http://www.hondaservicesydney.com.au. The dude there told me to trade the car in asap before it worsens or prepare to spend ~ $3500 in a new transmission.

Thanks for the advice GU357!

Cheers,

Giraffe
11-12-2012, 09:24 PM
just a question guys,

i recently got a second hand honda jazz 07 from a toyota dealer,

i was just wondering if i would be able to get the cvt transmission fixed at honda for free ? or would i have to take it to the toyota dealer that i bought it off ?

GU357
12-12-2012, 12:19 AM
I did as GU357 said and the shudder has disappeared completely. Total cost of the service at the Scotts Honda - Artarmon was $441.00. The transmission was flushed, oil replaced and that's it. Shudder gone, hopefully for good.

Before posting here, I took the car to these garage: http://www.hondaservicesydney.com.au. The dude there told me to trade the car in asap before it worsens or prepare to spend ~ $3500 in a new transmission.

Cheers,

beware as shudder can return.
as the oil becomes more polluted the shudder will return, but just drain it and refill it every 20,000 of something and i think you should be ok.

GU357
12-12-2012, 12:23 AM
just a question guys,

i was just wondering if i would be able to get the cvt transmission fixed at honda for free ? or would i have to take it to the toyota dealer that i bought it off ?

i doubt honda is gonna replace it for free.
as they dont really recognise it as their mistake.
We made an appeal to Honda Australia to have the Jazz gearbox/start clutched repaired under and extended warranty, since we had proof of flushes and drains in the past which had not solved the problem permanently it would keep coming back each 20,000kms (but only slightly).
Still the melbourne office rejected it, so meh.

i think some guys said that they 07's had a 5yr extended warranty for the issue, but u will have to take it to Honda because its a Honda fault.
Unless toyota offered some kind of warranty when you bought it off them.

Mikecivic78
12-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Cheers,

It may well come back, beware.

I changed the fluid on my old man's car myself (cost only the price of the fluid, even a monkey could do it, dunno what u paid 440 for) and it has gotten rid of the problem and that was over a year ago (knock on wood). Note that his shudder was extremely minor though.

IMHO I would sell the car and buy a manual or regular auto one (not trade in, as u will get peanuts), otherwise you are risking a very big bill and the prospect of owning an unsellable car.

Maybe that's a bit extreme, but you have been warned.

debowen
16-12-2012, 05:51 PM
stylzjhn: It's best to change the auto fluid at 40k or 2 years. The manual is wrong when it says 80k. Also, if the battery goes flat, keep the power up during the change over, either by jumper leads (less reliable, they can slip) or another battery linked into the battery leads or a power pack plugged into the cigar lighter, remember KEY ON. This keeps the power up to the computer system that sets the clutch and change ranges. If you don't do this and power is lost to the auto computer, take it to a dealer and have it reset immediately. ($60) Not worth the risk if you think it's O.K. They will happily charge you $2,000 plus to fix!

Mikecivic78
16-12-2012, 08:36 PM
If it's had shudder, I recommend every year or 20,000km just to be safe, but im anal

fillit
23-12-2012, 07:27 PM
just a question guys,

As far as I know if you purchase a car from a LMCT there is a 3 month statutory warranty. If there are any faults found with the car they are required to fix it regardless of the make.

Proof to backup claim > http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/motor-cars/buying-a-used-car/warranties

Alternatively, if you are lucky enough, there may be extended warranty taken out on the Jazz when it was purchased originally, which it may still be valid. Then you could contact Honda Australia warranties to try and see if they would honour it.

However IMO go back to the dealership and get them to fix it as they are oblidged to.

raidbaws
25-12-2012, 01:30 PM
My mechanic friend had this issue and I told him to change the oil and add the Honda additive and problem has gone away in two of his relatives Jazz'z. But the shudder was really bad and my guess he was just lucky.

We changed oil together and one of the vehicle had the CVT oil burnt like no tomorrow and other one was better but caused same problem. Fixed it and been OK for last 8 months.

Funny is Honda admit to the problem RE: BULLETIN but have not admitted it to be their fault as this has been proved by their sticking to BULLETIN ISSUE rather than a RECALL ISSUE.

ALL ABOUT THE GREEN

GU357
25-12-2012, 02:20 PM
yeh im pretty sure they used substandard or the wrong oil, during one of the services from when my parents owned the jazz.

but even still honda australia wont cover the repair (in my case) despite the log books showing countless drains and flushes

raidbaws
01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
That is some bullshit right there.

Honestly, they should be covering it and there is no excuse not too. It is a wide spread problem :/

marky53
18-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi guys,

After some advice for my wife's 2005 VTi Jazz (104k)

Its going through the shudder, we did a double flush of the transmission about 10k ago with Honda. It helped for a little while, but the shudder returned.

Have just been back to Honda who have said the transmission fluid is ok, but that we need to replace the start clutch ($1.5k quote).

Has anyone else replaced the start clutch? And what price should I expect to pay for this kind of work?

(Im in the northern suburbs of melb and would appreciate if anyone could recommend a workshop that has done this before)

debowen
18-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Be aware that when you change the battery YOU WILL LOSE the settings of the engine and the CTV gearbox if you DON'T keep the power up to the system.
My Honda dealer says that when the battery goes flat the settings are lost anyway. But I's told that the first time you can'e start the car because there is not enough grunt in the battery there is still enough power to maintain the settings. To stop losing the settings completely you either have to provide an external source of power through the cigarette lighter with the ignition turned fully on, or by jumper leads from the new battery before you take the terminals off the old battery. Be careful not to have the jumper leads fall off the battery leads on the car otherwise you've lost the settings. If you do lose the settings take the car straight to a Honda dealer to have them reset before any damage is done. drive the car carefully, no hard acceleration.

debowen
18-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Be aware that when you change the battery YOU WILL LOSE the settings of the engine and the CTV gearbox if you DON'T keep the power up to the system.
My Honda dealer says that when the battery goes flat the settings are lost anyway. But I'm told that the first time you cant start the car because there is not enough grunt in the battery there is still enough power to maintain the settings. To stop losing the settings completely you either have to provide an external source of power through the cigarette lighter with the ignition turned fully on, or by jumper leads from the new battery before you take the terminals off the old battery. Be careful not to have the jumper leads fall off the battery leads on the car otherwise you've lost the settings. If you do lose the settings take the car straight to a Honda dealer to have them reset before any damage is done. drive the car carefully, no hard acceleration.
Yes it does cost $1,500 to replace the clutch.
Middy

bennjamin
19-06-2014, 07:38 AM
I've been told (and practice) a "relearn" procedure for this exact situation. Correct me if wrong team.

You simply do the entire servicing as per normal- once the car is "reset" you will drive lightly to warm up. Once warm , find a quiet street and accelerate to 50-60km/h then back off and let the car glide to almost a stop. Repeat this several times and it's all good.

Personally done this on my own jazz twice and several customers cars , with no issue.

But pleas , if this is not the thing to do speak up !

amant02
21-06-2014, 08:30 PM
I've posted this a few times already. WHAT ELSE TO TRY WHEN CVT JERKS YOU AROUND. (http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/02/SAA2E02E15117656881BBAT00.HTML)

What benny says is the easier way, will 99% of times work. Very rarely you would have to recalibrate the CVT (major major changes to drive-line required).

But according to the manual, you turn the car on with no load(just engine on nothing else lights/sound system/etc etc) let the car idle to warm up till radiator fan noise kicks in. Then accelerate to 60 and let go till she comes to a stop. Might need a few times, but it will work.

For the people getting Shudder and blaming Honda for it, if YOU look after the CVT she will be fine. 105,000 on my 01 Model CVT not a single issue. Always change fluids every 15-20k with Genwin Honda Goodness.

Also double change is not enough.... you need to flush her like 5 times! Since you have done it twice already. On the next engine oil change, change the CVT again and see how you before you fork out 1.5k for repairs also FYI thats 30% of the cars value.

The manual box's go for next to nothing at wreckers and they take abuse very well.

If I were you, I'd carefully think about ur next step. 1.5k just for repairs is hefty for a car that only worth 5k according to insurance. Mask the issue and selll off or trade her in for the GE!

Willsie
21-06-2014, 09:21 PM
My wife has a 2006 GLI CVT with 95,000k. The shudder in ours developed over a couple of years and nearly got to the 'bad' stage. We had the family arguments, my wife (who's often right) insisted that the shudder was getting much worse every time she got in the car, and me insisting that it was about the same. A really steep hill start gave a 'bad' shudder though. After reading a lot of forums I decided to give an oil change a try, rather than fork out for the start clutch. I got my oil from Hi-Tec Oils in Sydney. It's labelled HONDA CVT fluid and I got 2off 4L containers. Local mechanic changed the oil without any flush. There was a slight shudder for a few weeks or so but after 'she who must be obeyed' drove to Cains and back it's back to new. That was about 2 years ago now and there is no sign of any shudder, even with very hard acceleration or steep hill starts. I was a bit dubious about using the Hi-Tec oil at first but now I think it might even be more suitable for the CVT than the HONDA stuff? I bought 8L of the oil at the time thinking that I might have to change the oil twice the get right result, but it cured the shudder with one change and now the other 4L is kicking around in my garage. Cost? About $40!

Dannaayy
22-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Can the fluid be brought in melb ? I'm using the genuine honda brand and still continuous to shudder

Willsie
22-06-2014, 10:30 PM
I got this info off the web. Hope the oil solves your problem.

Victoria
Hi-Tec Oil Traders Pty Ltd (Vic)
1 Venture Drive, Sunshine West, VIC 3020
Ph: (03) 9314 2524
Fax: (03) 9314 2676