PDA

View Full Version : DIY Apexi NA timer DIY civic eg5

skyfrank85
30-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: to cool down you car after hot driving, or dress up LOL
Required: Apexi turbo timer, wire cutter, electrical tape, cable tie, wire solider, screwdriver,

Apexi turbo timer will come with the pen timer, reply box and 6 color wire, will be in more detail of where all the wire goes,
and this is what thery look like

the pen
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0213640x478.jpg
the reply box with 6 wire
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0214640x478.jpg

Steps
1,disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, then step in your car (car used here is civic eg5 airbag model), undo the plastic bit under your dashboard for access to your fuss box, and steering wheel plastic bit to access to your key cylinder

2, once you done that, then take out your ecu, for access to your ecu ground and O2 wire, in this case, the eg5 is OBD1 and your ECU ground wire is located in A26 and O2 is located in D14
In apexi wiring diagrams, civic eg is using H2-a ecu, according to them

But here is pic for easy to read, same thing will apply to any other Honda car, just need to google your car ecu pin out and look for where are those 2 wire located,

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/obd1.jpg

3. since you now know where your ground and O2 wire in your ecu, hook them up to the turbo timer,
ground goes to black wire with red dots, and O2 is connect to white wire with red dots,

However, if you don't wanna run the ground from the ecu, you can make up your on ground wire but connect it to chassis

(sorry, i forgot to take pic of the wire connected to the apexi room), but its very simple, the reason for the o2 wire is for the timer to display your O2 sensor voltage and A/F ratio

4, now to connect the glay wire with red dots to your hand brake cable, there is only one cable can be found under your hand brake with is green/red. this is to stop or shut off the engine when the hand brake is no pull up, so the timer won't count down but instead turn off the engine as soon as the key is turn off.

its here
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0212640x478.jpg

5, now its the hard part, after you hook up all those 3 wires, now is working on ur key cylinder wire, mainly there is 5 cable, but here only used 3, those 3 cables are for 12V constant power red in apexi room, white in eg room, IG2 output blue in apexi room, yellow in eg room, however, i found the it's called IG2A in the key cylinder, IG1 output green in apexi room and black/yellow in eg room,

in this step, when u connecting those 3 wires, you will need to make your on room to connect both apexi and eg5 room. extra length of cable to connect both rooms.

here is some pic
this is room in the key cylinder, you need the white, black/yellow and yellow wires, if you look closely, you will found that on the key cylinder, it actually stated the IG1 and IG2A on.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0211640x478.jpg

when i was doing those 3 wire, the IG1 and 2A are actually in the same plug which is located in your fuss box under the wire of the SRS plug, it's on your right hand side of the fussbox
in the pic, it's the first one from left (yellow) wire and third (black/yellow) wire.
pic
http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/?action=view&current=IMG_0216640x478.jpg

now it's the 12V constant power wire, it's located on the left hand side of ur fuss box on the top, brown plug with only 2 wire black and white, we use the white one here for power

the white wire is huge, LOL
pic
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0217640x478.jpg

make sure you solid all the wire probably.

6, now you got all the wire connected, time to try if it works or not, connect ur battery and turn on ur key or start the car (after to u here, where is car is on or off), and turn it off, see where the timer works or not, by works it means that as soon as the key is turn off, engine will still running.

7, 2nd testing, to test where is hand brake feature works or not, now your timer is working, but how about when the handbrake is off, so start the car, handbrake off, turn off the key, engine off at the same time, if it happen this way, that means it all works

this is where i mount the pen
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0218640x478.jpg

and it works
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/skyfrank85/IMG_0219640x478.jpg

that's it, hope this will helps for anyone wanna install the turbo or NA timer

The end

BTW please be easy on me, first time doing some DIY parts

1 rep point would be highly appreciated

whitecomet07
05-12-2010, 04:32 PM
god this is a great write up. wanting to do this ages ago but always wonder how much work is required. now i have a rough idea. thanks!

dynasty
21-12-2010, 10:24 PM
...why would you want a timer on your NA car?

mugen_ctr
21-12-2010, 10:52 PM
because than ppl mite think ur uber cool LOL

kinda like ppl using fake turbo whistle on there N/A cars

Bulbasaur
21-12-2010, 11:26 PM
well the apexi one was designed for non turbo's aswell so i dont see why not benefit from it? and it shows other things aswell instead of buying a number of gauges

najdi
22-12-2010, 10:41 PM
correct they let the car run at idle...they show battery volt and air n fuel if i remember correctly...good for egs with big motors...doesnt hurt it

mugen_ctr
23-12-2010, 12:51 AM
just a side note, they are illegal for reason that should in the event of an accident, the turbo timer kicks in it may cause more danger, as the engine hasnt shut down yet....

But who gives a dam, since all imports run em lol

Bulbasaur
24-12-2010, 06:36 PM
the 20 dollar apexi ones off ebay the same as this or they just replica's that do the same job?

mugen_ctr
24-12-2010, 10:41 PM
dont cheap out on this man LOL.... its only what, like $100 - $150, u mad???

Riced_Civic
25-12-2010, 06:06 AM
i dont c y any NA street car use this, ur just letting the car sit there in its own heat and not do anything but make it hotter.

even with my car i just dont drive in boost for last 5 to 10 min of my drive and let lit cool for like 1min on idle.

na-118
25-12-2010, 08:38 PM
better off cooling it down before shutting it down after a hard fun down brighton le sands

mugen_ctr
25-12-2010, 09:45 PM
yeap, if u cant find the time to let the car down or turn it off urself, than surely u shouldnt be driving it....

dynasty
30-12-2010, 11:30 PM
although its only $100-$150, you wont need to know the battery voltage whilst your driving because it's obviously >12V or your car wont even start. A/F ratio will not change from stock setting unless you have tuned your ECU which i highly doubt, and on top of that, the readings are not 100% correct. Finally, what do you get out of reading O2 sensor anyways? yay it has a reading, my O2 sensor works...thats all? Like previous reply, unless you have something to cool down (VTEC does not count for all you smart a$$ comments i foresee), then why would you keep the car running? the primary purpose of a turbo timer is to let the engine run so the oil can cool the turbo down, not for you to buy so u can check your battery voltage, and A/F ratio or O2 sensor readings, if you need to justify why u need one of these on the NA cars, then you really shouldnt have one.

hisoka
01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
lol coolant cools down turbos. oil usually lubricates the main shaft.

when you turn of a turbo car, the coolant is still running through the turbo system.

thats the noise you hear that sounds like breathing after you shut down a turbo car.

a turbo timer actually just slows the process of going from hot to cold that's all.
better then going from hot to engine shut off, and not letting coolant circulate to bring the temps down or let the thermos run.

just a side note, they are illegal for reason that should in the event of an accident, the turbo timer kicks in it may cause more danger, as the engine hasnt shut down yet....

But who gives a dam, since all imports run em lol

this turbo timer and many others in the event of a crash will not just kick in. the hand brake must be up for the turbo timer to work.

TheSaint
01-01-2011, 06:46 PM
if u want bling get a VAFC/SAFC/NEO

better value for money - this does nothing for n/a except make you look like an idiot lol

Riced_Civic
01-01-2011, 06:53 PM
lol coolant cools down turbos. oil usually lubricates the main shaft.

when you turn of a turbo car, the coolant is still running through the turbo system.

thats the noise you hear that sounds like breathing after you shut down a turbo car.

a turbo timer actually just slows the process of going from hot to cold that's all.
better then going from hot to engine shut off, and not letting coolant circulate to bring the temps down or let the thermos run.

this turbo timer and many others in the event of a crash will not just kick in. the hand brake must be up for the turbo timer to work.

oil also would cool down turbos as well if u dont have a newer water and oil feeds for the turbo.

hisoka
01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
lol yeah thats true . most cars have water cool until you run big mofos

Riced_Civic
01-01-2011, 08:28 PM
lol yeah, i dont have that luxury of extra cooling

beeza
01-01-2011, 10:03 PM
this does nothing for n/a except make you look like an idiot lol

haha,true i reckon

hisoka
02-01-2011, 03:07 AM
lol yeah, i dont have that luxury of extra cooling

hahah dont worry, its one less thing you have to worry about.

both my s13s ive had both blew that hose more then once.

its a **** to fix at home, and even worse to fix in a random car park.

i think its really a must to have braided turbo lines. so much less hassle.

davidvtec
02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
If your going to have this device. Then when the car shuts off and timer is on, please stay and wait for it to shutt off at least. I hear stories these timers make car thiefs alot easier cause the motor still runs and they'll just flick the timer up more time as they drive

hisoka
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
if the handbrake is down, the car turns off.

mugen_ctr
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
thats only for the apex unit... other units like the greddy dont have this option... u can still leave it running without the handbrake, an yea makes easier to steal, soo much easier infact lol, but these days cars are stolen on a flatbed truck