View RSS Feed

wynode

Searching Limits

Rate this Entry
It has been a few months since we moved to a new dedicated server (around 7 months actually) and this has given us a bit more flexibility.

One of the main things that impacts day to day browsing is the reduction of the time between searches. From memory the time you had to wait between searches (this includes clicking the old "New Posts" button) was around 12 seconds. I dropped that down to 7 second quite a few months a go and just recently dropped it down further to 5 seconds. Load doesn't seem to have gone up too much so I think I'll keep it at 5 seconds.

The other restriction was on the search minimum word length. This is a MYSQL wide variable and was previously set to 4 chars. Something I had no control over with the previous host. I've now dropped this down to 3 chars (has been like this for a few months actually) so you can search terms like 'oil'.

Submit "Searching Limits" to Facebook Submit "Searching Limits" to Google Submit "Searching Limits" to MySpace Submit "Searching Limits" to StumbleUpon Submit "Searching Limits" to Twitter Submit "Searching Limits" to Yahoo!

Categories
Site Related

Comments