Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    last time i checked, most fuel tanks use a buoy type measuring system.

when you accelerate, weight shifts to the rear of the vehicle, and hence the fuel shifts to the rear. when you travel at constant speed, fuel sits level.

so when you accelerate hard, weight shifts to the rear, the top line of the fuel is hence on an angle instead of being level, causing the buoy to drop down a little (30L of fuel sitting on an exponential like curve would probably have the meter reading something like 20-25L instead, depending on the acceleration of your car).

then when you cruise at a constant speed, all directional forces essentially balance out and the fuel sits level again, so your fuel meter reads the fuel level correctly

even if im wrong about the buoy type system, the physics match. and although my explanation may suck, those who have watched initial d should get the gist of it by watching the way the water in a cup behaves.
    Last edited by SeverAMV; 03-02-2009 at 09:38 AM.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    filled up tonight.. had 575 on the clock and filled back to 37L. so that's 6.43L/100kms. my car goes through stop-and-go traffic from home to work. mostly school zone areas. and a 3km round trip from work to shopping centre every lunch time.

car has I/H/E setup by the way.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK Civic GLi
    My EK civic has a 45L tank. I'm kinda obsessed with fuel effiency too! So far I usually get about 8L per 100k in town (I know, not good but hey, I like taking off quickly!) so about 550k. BUT once I'm on the highway, sitting on about 110kph, I've often got 5.6L per 100k. I've regularly managed this, a few trips from Brisbane to Melbourne and Brisbane to Cairns have proved it. So around 800k per 45L tank! From a ten year old Automatic! Although changing from stock to a pod filter and new extractors dropped by about 1L per 100k.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic EK1
    does anyone else's trip meter measure in every 100m's? when i was reading and seeing you guys go only in the hundred k's and looking back at mine in the thousands got me perplexed at why mine measures in hundred metre intervals. 6.66/100kms btw after making the switch to premium unleaded

did 370km from a full tank, mostly drivin with air con on...Is that normal? btw i got a massive hole on my b-pipe

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    i hit 728 out of a tank in my old Si (d16a8) - which is about 5l/100km.
    Highway cycle.

i later hit about the same (700ish) out of about the same amount of fuel (36 litres) out of the same car with a b18c7 engine.
    1.8 vs 1.6 , 1.8 sitting on about 3800rpm constant and the 1.6 sitting on about 3000.

Off boost or high cam , most cars should get decent numbers on teh highwway.
    I'm with Lan on this, the most conservative highway driving netted me 520 km's with 45liters.

how much does your car weigh? Are your tyres same as OEM (standard to engine) circumference ? Turned or standard ECU ?
    I will take into consideration , that my speedo could be 3.3% off (due to tiny bit smaller circumference tyres) but 3.3% of 700 is around 22ks give or take.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    if my car could do 6.3L/100kms in traffic, then it is achievable to get what Ben's EG did in highway.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I got ek4 full stock 100% with stock wheels on 195/55. Ive trying using all different types of Premium like vortex, ultimate, vpower all brings out nearly same outcome from 350-400 tank. Is that any good?

^
    I've got a 98 EK4 w/ 15" wheels, CAI, tanabe 4-2-1 headers, fujitsubo exhaust on Shell V Power
    Urban driving with VTEC here and there
    Filled Up today: 410km on 33L
    Result in litres per 100 kilometers: 8.0L/100km

I usually refill at around 450kms

Quote Originally Posted by chouri View Post
    Urban driving with VTEC here and there
    HOOON

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    no idea what i'm doing wrong, can't get below 9.5L/100km