Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic

Installing oil pressure & water temp gauges?

Installing oil pressure & water temp gauges?

Im just after some ideas on the best possible setup for the installation of an oil pressure & water temp gauges hard lines. With the oil gauge I was ether going to buy a sandwich plate & oil cooler combo, but I’m a bit nervous of oil loosing pressure, I’m chasing any other ideas on where to mount the sensors.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    sandwich plate is usually the best option. Other option is a small T piece off the regular pressure sensor position.

if its N/A don't get a very large oil cooler and you will not loose much oil pressure (5psi or less). Also recommend you get braided cos i stuffed up the first time with normal rubber & they broke, leaving me on the fwy waiting for a tow truck (NOT FUN!). Another thing is make sure the lines are big enough otherwise you will starve the engine of the oil flow and vtec will not engage (happened to me also)

If you still worried you can always up the pressure later with a few washers. There's a DIY on upping pressure.
    Last edited by Limbo; 31-10-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    T piece? Please explain more as to where it would be located

By large you mean a small 10 row cooler (refers Edvance kit on offer atm)? It does have braided lines but I cant find any credible info on recommended inside dia.

I'd rather not have to run washers in the sump if at all possible, I'm looking for a way to loose as little of pressure as possible

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    take out your oil pressure sender. I think its a 3/8" diameter. Goto some place like Pirtek and tell them you need a T piece, its a brass piece in the shape of a T(under $10). It will allow you to take the pressure from there, which will give you the most accurate oil pressure. Earls will also have something, or rocket or motosport connections, but they will be more expensive.

I ran -8 braided lines, lines are pretty standard, & something like earls will be fine.

To reduce the loss of pressure, smaller cooler & short lines.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    thanks guys for the advice

I love J-Cups

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Why do you want to get an oil cooler btw? Do you need it? Do you bring your car to the circuit?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Easiest way for Oil pressure is get a sandwhich plate. You'll only need a cooler if your gonna track it Ryan. Seriously, don't bother with a cooler if its just gonna be street driven or at the Drags. You have a point with Oil Temp to with the sandwhich plate.

Water temp, easiest is just to get a adaptor for the top hose. Just cut the hose, clamp in the adaptor and you have your tap in point. I have got mine tapped it to the top hose housing on the engine. Bit neater and stealth.
    Deano.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The only downside of using a sandwich plate and running the oil pressure sensor from there is that it measures the oil pressure before the oil filter, not after the oil filter, which is what the T-piece does and is actually the correct way.

I have my pressure sensor on the sandwich plate, and most of the them when driving, it shows the pressure at 80psi, which is the pressure at which the oil filter's bypass valve is opened. LOL.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    thank you all very much for the help oil gauge is ordered and will be on in a few weeks

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Here's a photo of a "T" fitting. Just go to your local hardware store and ask for 1/8" pipe fittings. You need one 1/2' pipe nipple, one 3 way fitting and adapters to the gauge size. If you can check your installation kit as there should be one adapter inside. The other side you reinstall your stock sender so your idiot light still functions.
    If you got NPT fittings then you have cross-threaded the block. The stock oil pressure switch is a 1/8" BSPT thread. Silicone thread sealer works, but in the end it's a dodgey job.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Define 1/8" pipe thread? Both BSP and NPT are pipe threads.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    1/8 BSPT is the correct thread to use. 1/8 NPT is different, sure it may fit and you can't notice anything, but it is ever so slightly different.
    Deano.