Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    00' BB6 Prelude
    yourfather you are seriously a dick... I too have only heard of slight problems with the tiptronics on the 5th gens, but never any problems that warrant the need for a gearbox rebuild.. All the tiptronic owners I have met are happy with them.. what was the point in offloading a tonne of shit on Peach for what I think is a valid point?

Ive had my lude for over 3 years now, and have been an active member of many forums. I can only speak for the ludes here in Aus but I can tell you for a FACT that there is a lot of TALK of the tiptronics being faulty, but I have never known anyone that has had their gearbox shit itself.

For those looking at buying a tip 5th gen, take it for a test drive, if it feels good and doesn't hesitate gear shifts, chances are it will be a good purchase..

yourfather, shut your mouth and have a think before you try shut down other members that actually OWN the car in question..
    -Keegz
    BB6 Squad

Since this threads gone to shit;

- Make sure the compass still works
    - The anchor deploys well
    - There isnt too much damage from the salt water.

LOL jokes..

Check the usual things, gearbox is important in this car.

Get underneath, check for leaks, check the usual rubber boots.

Tap the body, look for dead spots, check the insides of the boot for bog up and weld, same for the under the hood

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by I heart the SSS View Post
    Since this threads gone to shit;

- Make sure the compass still works
    - The anchor deploys well
    - There isnt too much damage from the salt water.
    Dont forget Barnacles.

Those little ****ers are terrible, they'll eat your boat like no tomorrow *Red coat*

p.s Pretty much everything has been covered (just remember, **** the triptronic=reason to get manual)
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Well yeah, in my honest opinion, the manual rocks anyway....in a car like a Prelude, it add so much to the overall driving experience.

But yeah, if you take a car out for a test drive and the gear changes on the auto box are smooth and there are no noises to cause concern, chances are you are not going to have a problem unless you treat the car harshly.

I mean, $8500 for a VTIR with 130,000 on the clock, is not really a bad price. You are getting a good car for that money.
    Im Lewd And It Feels Great

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 Prelude VTI-R
    As stated by everyone else here, yourfather your a douche bag ( <3 Peachy)

I own a prelude with a Tiptronic box and its great, i have had no issues in the 45k km's ive had it

Very smooth and good for around town where a manual would otherwise be a pain to go

Just check for smooth gear changes, no clunking noises and other weird stuff and you should be fine

Hell if it packs it in, just get a manual conversion :P

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    VTEC y0!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Phresh View Post
    As stated by everyone else here, yourfather your a douche bag ( <3 Peachy)

I own a prelude with a Tiptronic box and its great, i have had no issues in the 45k km's ive had it

Very smooth and good for around town where a manual would otherwise be a pain to go

Just check for smooth gear changes, no clunking noises and other weird stuff and you should be fine

Hell if it packs it in, just get a manual conversion :P
    OR... sell it for $8500 a few weeks later...
    I find manual more fun...
    either way, 5th gen lude's as mentioned, are very comfy for a coupe but then again...i'm never in the back
    so either way, buy one!

Member Array
    Car:
    00' BB6 Prelude
    Yeh of course manaul is better. but when you find a lude with 130k on the clock, and if its in decent condition, and its $8500, that's $10k cheaper than I bought my manual lude for (three years ago), i'd be cheering. And yes IF the gearbox did shit itself, do a conversion, you'll still be ahead
    -Keegz
    BB6 Squad

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2001 Prelude VTI-R
    only reason i got mine with tiptronic is that it had 34,000 km's on it :P

Member Array
    Car:
    94 Prelude Si-Vtec
    lol yourfather your a douche. anyway I have only ever heard of an auto box in a lude dying about 2 times. everyone else seems to be happy with theirs.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 Prelude
    My tiptronic is fine, 130k and no issues whatsoever. Just keep fresh trans fluid in them and you're fine. And by the model revision in mid '99 they'd pretty much solved the problem. Even in the US, it's rare to hear of a 99+ auto failing.

Though having said all that, I've never heard of one actually failing in this country. Plenty of examples in the US, which makes absolutly no sense since they were all made in the same factory; but none from here. I think I have enough posts and reputation on here to be able to make a comment like that.
    "The sign of a good quote is that it has inverted commas at each end"
    -Shaun Micallef

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 DC2
    Me and many others who have commented in this thread are apart of another forum which has a very large population of prelude owners, as PeachExp mentioned. And of that population I am yet to hear about an auto gearbox failing and I have been around there for a while. However I have heard comments that pre 99 tiptronic gearboxes are weak. given the cheaper price, it might be worth getting it comprehensively checked out by NRMA as others have mentioned.

and yourfather, go back to the first page and have a read. of peachexp's post and then yours. you know if it was warrented or not, and so does everyone else reading this thread. if you need i can recommend a good doctor to pull that stick out of ur butt.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R
    jeez "yourfather" chill out, just bcoz someone has a different opinion to you... you dont need to attack them.

And i've heard that the auto gear box's are weak... but also don't know anyone who has had this issue.

No need to be an asshole and attack peachexperiment like you did....
    Maby your the kind of hero that needs to be shunned.

To be perfectly honest, you dont drive a prelude are your only going by what youve heard... so who are you to quote things as facts?