Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic '96

changing intake system

Hey guys, one of the first things i'd like to do, is replace my air intake system.

i've had a search, even went to how stuff works, but couldn't find anything explaining the parts of an air intake system...

if i was to replace this system do i need to replace the entire pipe, as well as filter? or can i get away with just replacing the filter?

further, is there much point replaicng the air intake anyway? is there any notable difference, in engine power?

cheers, james

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Try searching here in the civic section, using "CAI*"
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    you jsut change your panel filter to a k and n one thats menas you wouldnt have to chaneg the pipe... but if you wanted a bit more power and better power than go for CAI or SRI. bigger pipes better intake thats menas you would hav to chaneg the whole pipe

Member Array
    Car:
    EG seeker/CEM1 Cyborg
    just remove the airbox and leave the rest of the oem piping, get hold of some 3inch piping and slap the pod on one side and stick the other side into the existing piping.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    increasing the amount of air flow by reducing restrictions is the goal. by having more air get into the engine more power is produced and a greater throttle response is achieved.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic '96
    cheers, so i think i might do what g.ta said.. sounds relatively simple ahahah

so, is that tachnically a 'short ram intake'? or is is just considered normal?
    ill probably get started on this soon.

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    a) what car ?
    b) SRI recommended as replacement it is daily driver as CAI reduces torque curve....
    c) whats ur budget?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG seeker/CEM1 Cyborg
    Quote Originally Posted by sarantosser View Post
    cheers, so i think i might do what g.ta said.. sounds relatively simple ahahah

so, is that tachnically a 'short ram intake'? or is is just considered normal?
    ill probably get started on this soon.
    that would be considered as "normal"..

a SRI would normally have all the piping replaced and the pod routed near or behind the battery or as far away as possible whilst whilst still being housed in the engine bay.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic '96
    dny boy - its a ek1 honda civic 1996, andi have a relatively low budget - around $200 maximum.. (poor)
    and about the torque is it desirable to reduce the curve or no?

in any case, are the all similar priced? is it worth me going a CAI or SRI or even jsut a filter change depending on how much my money can get me?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    well a CAI youll loose torque as the piping is longer therfore taking longer to get to the intake manifold , SRI for a good 1 wont be cheap i mean theres a few traders on here you might be able to get one off but just get a pod or raplacement panel filter make a lil difference.... =) keep saving get a good SRI

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic '96
    ok sweet man, ill replace the filter in the meantime.. how much money am i looking at for a decent SRI ? - placed my bets today on the cup, maybe i can buy one tomoz if im lucky ahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    its a bike!
    haha who u backing lol yea i mean 200 check out the trader section JDMyard has some good stuff ur running a d16y8 yea? theres a good k&n SRI that i got k&n 63-1017 top setup( from rocket inds) yea get a k&n panel replacement for the time being and then start shoping ur looking between 200 and 450 but its up to u on what u want and so forth .... google is ur best friend...actaully theres even the top fuel 1000 system SRI its not bad havent heard nythin bad bout em
    Last edited by DNY*BOY; 04-11-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: typo