Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

250 vs 600 for first bike

Ey guys.

Got a friend getting his L's next week.

He is considering getting a 600cc sports bike to start off with, rather than a 250cc. He assures me that he will respect the power of the 600cc in the learning stage though.

I have recommended against it, though some other friends say he'll be fine.

what are your thoughts.

ps. yes we know its illegal. after more feedback about the ability to ride safely.

cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    stupid on all counts.

Further ask your friend if he has the money to pay for damage to other cars if he is in an accident. No insurance company will pay out if he is riding a 600cc. Plowing in to the back of a new mercedes with no insurance is going to be expensive! Could bankrupt him as well as put him in hospital.

^ 2nd wat he said.... end of the day if u've never riden and u get on the road with a 600and something happens not only will u put the bike down but if u take someone else out it'll all come out of ur own pocket...

i know that when i 1st jumped on a 600 it still felt heavy and taht was after i rode a 250 and a 125... just takes sometime to get used to
    Syndicate Motorsports Canberra
    Combine the Difference

Yups, it tends to be the weight issue. Ive been riding for years on my 250 and have only decided to sell it for a 600/1000 but due to my littleless i even have to slant the bike when stopping at the lights. Newer bikes tend to corner better tho, but without the basics of riding then there is a high chance of lowsliding. The best thing about the 250 is that you can learn to ride while doing silly things ie. crack full throttle mid point and not worry about much. And its not how big your bike is, its how you ride it, thats the main thing to riding. Ive been passed by plenty faster 250 riders and Ive also passed many 600 riders. Its all about technique and if you dont have the fundamentals then you tend to outdo yourself on the brakes or think you can go faster because you have a 600/1000 bike.

Throttling is one thing, riding is another. and if your mate is riding because he wants to look cool then HE SHOULD GET ****ING SHOT like most other squidders/ L platers out there. TOOLS LIKE THIS PISS ME OFF !!

Insurance companies WILL not pay you out, and you will be in deep deep shit. Why not go for a learner legal 600 like a ducati monster lite.
    looking for aftermarket FN2R parts ! pm me !

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I think the first question we should be asking is why does he want a 600 to begin with? In most states the new LAMS rules means that you have a much wider range of bikes to choose from. Does he want a 600 because it is more powerful, they look better . . .
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    If he gets a 600 on his L's...
    He's gona be on the news within a week... Either dead or bankrupt...
    Like those guys all said..
    Insurance won't even justify that this guy exists...

Is he that much of a gangster/sick **** that he doesn't want to be seen on a 250?
    **QBALL EDIT - no selling/advertising for newcomers**
    Last edited by Q_ball; 10-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    ill be at the auctions,
    if he wont last long
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

all good replies, i hadn't even thought about the insurance point.

well, I think he wants a 600, because he can't be bothered finding a 250, and then having to sell it off 1 year later.

our friends are going to lend him their 600 and 250 for a few days, and depending on how comfortable he feels on the 600, i think will finalize his decision.

seriously thou - if ur mate wants to actually get into riding for a while and go through and get his full licence - tell him to start off with a 125 or a 250 it's worth it learning road craft and how to react in different situations on a bike that you can handle...

1 big thing that ppl always say is that 'you will loose money getting a 250 then selling it a yr later for a bigger bike'

but the question is the money u will save ... are u willing to risk your life to save that cash .. riding a bike is fun - but is very dangerous as well... g/l with it
    Syndicate Motorsports Canberra
    Combine the Difference

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Hiace
    CBRs hold their value anyway man...
    Could even get more for it...

I bought mind cheap ($1200) and sold it for $4500

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Seriously, if he is that lazy, tell him to stay away from a bike. If he has no riding experience and I owned a 600 (or even a 250) and it wasnt a dirt bike, there would be no way I would 'lend' it to him for a couple of days. You are just asking for trouble.

If he doesnt want to sell in a year, tell him to get a 600 that can be detuned. Once he is off his restricted liscence he can then just remove the chip.

As others have said re: insurance. Most third party insurance at a minimum will cover you for around $5million worth of damages (ie he rides the bike into the back of a ferrari or rides it through a house and it is all covered). If he is riding a 600 and it is not on the LAMS list say goodbye to any insurance and he will have to pay.
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    you can buy those hyosung korean bikes on ur L's, its a GT650 and its learner legal but i think they are d-tuned so they dont go heaps quick. its the power/weight of the bike, its fairly heavy waich makes it legal. dont look too bad either. tell ur mate to look into that bike.
    YB0057 DC2R K20a 12.32 @ 108mph
    1.79 60ft