Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sounds like weak battery.....but mostly a dead or dieing starter motor.

would a crapped out starter motor affect the lights and such? Maybe it's a combination of both?

How much does it cost to replace the starter motor and what kind of battery should i get?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    Mazda 3
    Quote Originally Posted by farkmedead View Post
    Ok guys, I tried starting it today and it makes a clicky sound but doesnt crank. and when I press the brake pedal, the lights on the dash go dim.

Most likely battery dead? I sure hope it's not the alternator or starter motor.
    try another battery from another car or something.

something similar happened to me twice. once in my 180 and once in my EG.
    tried starting the car, all it did was click, didnt turn over or nothing. replaced the battery and all was good.

my mum's got a 2007 civic vti. will the battery from that work?

yea it will but it will be the battery that is gone so u prob need to get a new one

ye i'll test with the other battery to make sure that a new battery will fix the problem.

cheers guys

EDIT: I have a NRMA battery and it has the 3 dot system where red is fully charged, black is needs charging and white is need to be replaced. And now I have a black dot so I need to charge it, does that mean I can jump start it and drive it around for a bit for it to charge or will I need a battery charger?
    Last edited by farkmedead; 11-01-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mazda 3
    ye i'll test with the other battery to make sure that a new battery will fix the problem.

cheers guys

EDIT: I have a NRMA battery and it has the 3 dot system where red is fully charged, black is needs charging and white is need to be replaced. And now I have a black dot so I need to charge it, does that mean I can jump start it and drive it around for a bit for it to charge or will I need a battery charger?
    i was told by an auto electrician that it takes a few hours drive to charge it.. but yeah i just replaced the battery anyway.. peace of mind..

IT'S ALIVEEE!

got it charged up and checked out by a mechanic, he said the alternator's fine and like DvS said, I should get a new battery for peace of mind.

anyway thanks alot guys

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1
    this is a similar problem to my brother old tarago - it just cranked but wouldn't start up.
    Towed to the 1st machenic and he said the possible solution is to replace the ECU but he cant guarantee that the problem can be fixed (he just said computer thing so i assumed its the ECU) he replaced it and charged $300.
    The car doesn't start. Then, we towed it to the 2nd machenic and he said the fuse box is the problem cause this time there is no crank at all. Fuse box changed.
    The car did started, drove home, parked over night then drove 10km to work. When finished work (approx 10hrs later) the van was dead again - doesn't start!
    Towed it back to 2nd machenic and he said its the battery - needs to replaced with new battery, if not we need to jump start it every time. I'm not sure if the battery is the problem from the very beginning or because the van hasn't been driven from the time it was dead until it fixed - 1 month! New battery purchased and replaced and the van is back to normal. Thank god!

so farkmedead, try new battery 1st before take it to the machenic where they could come up with some craps and make you fix and pays. Hope this helps. Good luck mate!
    mAh.:.bLk.:.CiViC

.: iMa jUs a GaL iN mAh bLk CiVic :.

yeah im gona replace the battery soon, lucky there's nothing wrong with the alternator!

thanks eternity

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    yeah im gona replace the battery soon, lucky there's nothing wrong with the alternator!

thanks eternity
    Yeah, you are lucky.. The alternator is such a bitch to get to..
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend