Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi

Question MY09 Jazz VTi outside temperature display

My MY09 Jazz VTi has the multi information display with the steering wheel buttons.

According to the manual, the lower left corner is supposed to display the outside temperature, and it can be calibrated +/- 3°C from the default setting.

I can access the options setting mode where you calibrate it, but where the outside temperature should be displayed is a blank space. I'm not sure if it's faulty, not provided or just disabled by a setting. Confused

Does the Australian Jazz VTi actually have a outside temp sensor? Is mine therefore faulty? If so I can get it fixed at the first service, but first I'd like to know if others have this display or not.

Note that if your car is the GLI without side airbags you have a different display to this one.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    Mate, our aus ver vti didn't come with this function even u can find it form manual book. just like some other feature such as auto fold up side mirror, we don't have it for sure.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by dyljoy View Post
    Mate, our aus ver vti didn't come with this function even u can find it form manual book. just like some other feature such as auto fold up side mirror, we don't have it for sure.
    Heh you're right. I could have sworn I saw the config menu item that lets you adjust the temperature display, but when I checked just now, it isn't there.

I must have just seen it in the book.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    ya, sad to see we miss some of good feature should have in our car. btw, I got same spec and colour as u, mate. This blue colour just simply beauty!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi
    Yeah, I was considering yellow. I like the pearl effect and all, but I wasn't so sure I wanted to stand out in the crowd that much, and Hunter Honda had the blue manual in stock so that's the way I went.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    ic, back to this Oct when i picked up my vti, the saleperson told me blue and black are most popular, and not many ppl pick red and yellow one. but imo they all look good with kit, haha.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    GE Jazz
    whats so hard to not include temperature display
    yay same spec too but white :P

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by betjai View Post
    whats so hard to not include temperature display
    yay same spec too but white :P
    It's not so much the display as the sender behind the grille that costs maybe $50 per unit to install. That doesn't sound like much, but in the economy of mass production it adds up to a fortune, so they save it, and give us the 1.5 L15A engine and rear disc brakes instead...

It's all about marketing and what the importers anticipate people will expect to have in a small car, and what their competitors include.

No-one else puts in an outside temp gauge in this class, and no-one is going to pick a Honda Jazz over a Toyota Yaris (for example) solely because of an outside temp gauge - so they leave it out.

They have to be careful what they do put in, because they are perilously close to competing directly with the Honda Civic with this car, and they are already a bit on the exxy side c/w Hyundai Getz or Mitsubishi Colt ( both inferior cars though)

We also don't get folding mirrors, remote adjusting headlights, rear foglamps, adjustable intermittent wipers, automatic locking doors, all of which are on the UK version. Some are things that are required by law there and not here (rear fog lamps) and others are just things that the European market expects.

On the other hand, they don't get the L15A engine.

What we have is effectively a lighter and therefore quicker Fit RS. Looks like a shopping trolley, goes like a... well not quite.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 jazz
    Totally agree, as a customer, we always expect more from what we should get from the car, but as seller, car company just want get more profit from us, that's make sence. Back to reality, we can not do much more on that but keep enjoy what we have atm. Overall, I still love new jazz.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Hey mate! I was going to post the same question but you beat me to it.

Manual described how to change the settings, unfortunately we don't have the actual sensor installed on the car.

-Imo

Quote Originally Posted by rossw View Post
    My MY09 Jazz VTi has the multi information display with the steering wheel buttons.

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A,EG-K,PP-K
    get the part number! n install it lolz
    Unicorn: K20R Honda Beat PP1
    BTMotorsports
    JDM Auto Link - Your source for new and pre-owned JDM parts

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 040501912 View Post
    get the part number! n install it lolz
    I don't think it's that simple. You'd have to reprogram the multifunction display as well. There are some pages missing.

Now, does the software detect the presence of the temp sender and display the relevant pages if it finds one? or do they just program the display ROM chip with the pages removed?

If the latter you'd have to get the ROM for the display that talks to the sensor, assuming it's removable, or reflash it, or whatever.

This leads to another question. I wonder if it's possible to add custom features to the multi function display? How do they add software updates?

If this were doable it would make it easy to add a coolant temperature gauge page a'la Mitsubishi Lancer, because the ECU is already sensing this information. That little blue light and little red light are not connected directly to sensors, they are outputs from the dashboard CPU.

Alas, it's probably all done in machine code and burned into an EPROM soldered to the dash circuit board, but if they used a plug-in CPU or a flashable EEPROM the possibilities are intriguing.
    Last edited by rossw; 12-12-2008 at 09:09 AM.