Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1995 Vti-R Prelude

Hi and thanks for reading/replying!

I'm looking at buying a 95 Prelude Vti-R (Built 10/95) on behalf of my daughter - she's a car nut. We've found one that looks promising price/condition wise, however it was a "Repairable write off". I'm ok with this as it's somewhat cheaper and the repairs mean the body is excellent compared to most other's we've seen - a panel beater friend will check it out in detail.

I have some (probably) dumb questions....
    1. Do all Australian 1995 VTi-Rs have 4WS? I've read conflicting information.
    2. The wheels are standard, but they look like earlier model wheels to me, does someone have a pic of what the original ones look like?
    3. Redbook indicates better fuel consumption for the VTi-R compared to the S. For normal "to work and back" commuting is this so?
    4. Any other tips to look out for or check prior to purchase?

I'll get her to join this forum once she's an owner!

Thanks, Sam
    Last edited by SamD; 14-12-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamD View Post
    Hi and thanks for reading/replying!

I'm looking at buying a 95 Prelude Vti-R (Built 10/95) on behalf of my daughter - she's a car nut. We've found one that looks promising price/condition wise, however it was a "Repairable write off". I'm ok with this as it's somewhat cheaper and the repairs mean the body is excellent compared to most other's we've seen - a panel beater friend will check it out in detail.

I have some (probably) dumb questions....
    1. Do all Australian 1995 VTi-Rs have 4WS? I've read conflicting information.
    2. The wheels are standard, but they look like earlier model wheels to me, does someone have a pic of what the original ones look like?
    3. Redbook indicates better fuel consumption for the VTi-R compared to the S. For normal "to work and back" commuting is this so?
    4. Any other tips to look out for or check prior to purchase?

I'll get her to join this forum once she's an owner!

Thanks, Sam
    hi there, i canonly help with a few of ur Qs because im a 5th gen vtir owner, not a 4th genner.

Q1. no
    Q2. sorry cant help u there
    Q3. with my h22a driving sensibly, shifting at 3000rpm, out of 45L i got 603km which is awesome. however when i decide to give it a hit a few times it averages around 450-500km per tank (60L tank)
    Q4. check the sunroof for leaks. wait for the motor to warm up and vtec it (rev past 5200rpm) and see what colour the smoke is which comes outa the exhaust. black/brown = normal, blue = trouble. umm drive around in it and see if u like it or not.

btw ive got my 5th gen 1998 vtir for sale atm for a good price, never been in any accidents and always serviced every 5000kms. PM me if ur interested

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    i would not buy this car as it is a repairable write off
    simple as that

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    i would not buy this car as it is a repairable write off
    simple as that
    yeah stuff that.
    cheaper yes.. reliable?
    probably not.
    i wouldnt buy it either.
    most ppl look for cars that havent been repairable write offs or in accidents.
    i think its bad news.

Thanks... This one has 4WS and it seems to work - at least when stationary. Is a stationary test sufficient to assume it operates correctly? And if the 4WS spits can you just leave it off without any problems?

VTEC defintely (yahhhh!!) kicks in with no detectable smoke of any sort. I used to be a V8 man, but these things are certainly a heap of fun.

This one has a "cold" air intake (the only modification), however the filter is in the same position as the original - so to my mind the word "cold" is incorrect. I can see it will suck air more effectively but only from the warm engine bay. Do other so called "cold" air intakes funnel air more directly from outside the car (my motorbike does this - "RAM air" I think they call it).

The car's done 165,000km, from what I've read on this forum the H22a is likely to last at least another 100,000km. We have looked at a few VTi-Rs with well in excess of 200,000km, so out of interest, what sort of money are we looking at to reco an H22a?

Sam

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport

My daughter has about $7000 to spend (well actually she has $2000 and I'm fronting with the rest). We've seen numerous Preludes in the $7000 range that are largely junk (rust, very high km, body damage, shonky backyard resprays, bodgy body kits, ridiculously low, and usually a combination of all these) and no VTi-Rs of any merit in the $7000 range. Originally I was arguing for her to get a Lancer (or similar) - a 2002/3 model with less than 100,000km can be got for that money. But she REALLY wants a 4th gen Prelude and she REALLY REALLY wants VTEC! And I've probably been conned!

"Repairable write off" means (as I understand) it was insured for less than the retail cost of repairs. In this case the repairs appear (to my untrained eye) to have been done well - rear RH quarter and also repairs to front of bonnet and replaced bumper - also complete respray. The car has 10 months rego, 165,000km, all the electric/AC goodies work properly and we'll pay under $7000 - will negotiate further once the panel beater does his inspection. Seems to be reasonable - do I make any sense?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by mars_panas View Post
    93 Si would be okay. That one sounds like the engine's gone to god and so's the interior. $3000 plus $2000 (engine?) plus body repairs plus interior repairs plus no doubt the air con is stuffed and the sunroof is rusty and the new paint job was done in the backyard to cover up all kinds of ugly sins! If this is not so then why is it only $3000? (Is it yours? If so, sorry for the dig, its just that's been our experience with cheaper ones). Also the 95 has ABS and airbags - just in case!
    Last edited by SamD; 14-12-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    If you do end up getting a prelude, feel free to direct her to preludeaustralia.com

Quote Originally Posted by SamD View Post
    Thanks... This one has 4WS and it seems to work - at least when stationary. Is a stationary test sufficient to assume it operates correctly? And if the 4WS spits can you just leave it off without any problems?

VTEC defintely (yahhhh!!) kicks in with no detectable smoke of any sort. I used to be a V8 man, but these things are certainly a heap of fun.

This one has a "cold" air intake (the only modification), however the filter is in the same position as the original - so to my mind the word "cold" is incorrect. I can see it will suck air more effectively but only from the warm engine bay. Do other so called "cold" air intakes funnel air more directly from outside the car (my motorbike does this - "RAM air" I think they call it).

The car's done 165,000km, from what I've read on this forum the H22a is likely to last at least another 100,000km. We have looked at a few VTi-Rs with well in excess of 200,000km, so out of interest, what sort of money are we looking at to reco an H22a?

Sam
    thats a SRI ( short ram intake) imo i prefer a SRI over a CAI

Standard Si rims

Standard VTiR rims

Ps, i dont think you can test the 4WS stationary? Not on the 4th gen anyway. (Correct me if im wrong).

Goodluck

The "Repairable Write Off" VTi-R has the Si rims. BUT doesn't matter now...

Just before leaving to checkout the "Repairable Write Off" VTi-R with the panel beater we thought we'd just do a final carsales search. Found a dark blue manual 95 VTi-R with 150,000km and all original, log books etc.. So we went and checked it out and bought it on the spot. The seller had only palced the add an hour or so before we spotted it and then it was sold about 3 hours latter - he's happy and we're happy! Quote from my daughter Kim, "This is the happiest day of my life" - with a big ear to ear grin!

I was getting more and more nervous about the "Repairable Write Off" VTi-R and even if it was structurally fine the reality is it would be difficult to resell. The panel beater friend thought I should pay at least $3000 below market value even if it all checks out ok (and that was never going to happen). In addition, if she was to have an accident and be injured in it then regardless of the cause you'd never really be certain that the past prang wasn't a factor.

Very happy with the outcome and no doubt you'll all have to put up with her annoying questions!

By the way, as long as the engine is running the rear wheels do turn even when stationary. The only issues with Kim's VTi-R is clutch near to end of life, a few minor oil leaks, some movement in the steering rack (fine but could be tighter), and the usual minor dints and scratches. All to be expected in a 13 year old car...

Sam
    Last edited by SamD; 16-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.