Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra VTi-R

do shocks effect stiffness and ride hight?

hey

Im considering getting Skunk2 lowering springs for my dc2. A stiffness and lowness upgrade from my current medium kings.

The car has after market shocks/struts installed since the person before me go the springs installed. (not sure brand, will check when i have wheels off next)

I plan on just removing the kings and replacing them with the skunks on these aftermarket ( close to standard im guessing ) shocky.

i know many people wouldnt advide this as it will shorten the life of the shocks and would adivise getting matching shock for the springs. ( however i dont wanna fork the 800+ for new shocks at this stage and am not prepaired to get coilovers)

Just woundering, will having these shocks affect the stiffness/handeling of the new springs ? Do the shocks/struts effect stiffness?

Also will having these shocks effect where the car sits? Will it sit higher or lower if i got the matching skunk shockies.

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks for your help.
    needing a Rep xD !! 1point yo

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    If the shocks are in working condition then they shouldnt affect anything much. If they are totally blown on the otherhand then the car might sag a tiny tiny bit more

I dont think it will affect height. But i had Pedders lowering springs on my car for about 5000km and it killed off my already dying shocks (120 000km old). When i went over a speed bump the middle of the car would hit the speed bump coz the shocks were deadd.. So i upgraded to Buddyclub N+ coilovers which were well worth the money.

So even if you don't get matching shocks now you will probably need them in the near future.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    Quote Originally Posted by schuebyTeG View Post
    hey
    however i dont wanna fork the 800+ for new shocks at this stage and am not prepaired to get coilovers

dont fork the money out and save it towards coilovers. your not prepaired to get coilovers now but if you ever are going to get them. save the money spent on both the springs and shocks and put that money towards coilovers.

stiffer springs require a harder damper to effectively control/dampen thier movent. by fitting stiff springs with soft stock or worn dampers is not going to help handling only the cars aesthetics. handling will further be sacrificed by the excessive lowering but if your purely after looks lower it with just springs but if you want better handling coilovers is the go.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    how much are shocks these days anyway?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Si Hatchie
    i paid 800 trade price for my kyb agx adjustable set. wish i had just saved that towards coilovers. thats what i'm trying to say. that would be coilovers half paid for.
    Is this the end of my car modding days? Buying a house says so...

s tune Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 sold :(
    Quote Originally Posted by schuebyTeG View Post
    hey ...................
    Just woundering, will having these shocks affect the stiffness/handeling of the new springs ? Do the shocks/struts effect stiffness?

Also will having these shocks effect where the car sits? Will it sit higher or lower if i got the matching skunk shockies.

Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks for your help.
    Shocks cannot affect ride height at all. They only control the spring movement by slowing the compression and rebound strokes.

How these affect the new springs will depend on the spring rate.