Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Honda Prelude Vti-R

11.1 Compression H22A4

I'm thinking of putting in new JDM spec H22A oversized pistons. Would I need to change my ECU? or anything else?? would the stock conrods be able to withstand the upgrade??

and installing JDM H22A cams, would that require a new ECU or anything else?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jdm EG6
    ... would probably have to get a new ECU definately if you wanted it running to its full potential, try hondata ECU there good, if you can get the rods as well would be better, but all depends on what the difference in the conrods are. Do it right the first time and u wont come avross any problems in the near future
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hmm id tap it. Even in mid air like that. Possibly with the pee pee flying out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    you guys remember squirtqueen.com ? I spent many a hr in computer studies in yr 10 looking that up.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    The standard conrods will be fine......

B20VTEC Build Thread

Wink

better do a counter check on what your over all goal is for your. I recommend you get a h22a type s JDM complete engine instead of fitting all its parts in pieces. type s would have better are flow higher compression agreassive cams lsd gear box etc etc.....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Honda Prelude Vti-R
    Quote Originally Posted by FD2mugen View Post
    better do a counter check on what your over all goal is for your. I recommend you get a h22a type s JDM complete engine instead of fitting all its parts in pieces. type s would have better are flow higher compression agreassive cams lsd gear box etc etc.....

true that!
    thnx fellas

Member Array
    Car:
    Crew for Hi-Comp Civic
    It all depends on what your goal is. If you are planning on upgrading your components at a later date there is no point starting with a Type S engine. It will just cost you more in the long run. Be warned that if you later want to change final drive ratios or change the LSD they will not be compatible with the Type S box. Everything is made for the non LSD boxes, not the factory LSD Type S box.

Your better off starting with a "normal" H22 and bumping up the comp and parting the head. With a good tune you will get great results.

Cool

starting with the type S is all you probably need, if your happy with 135 to 140 KW at the wheels with a simple e/i/ecu.factory LSD included.
    but all depends on what you decide to do with the car. if you want reliability get OEM type S.if you want more then get a standard H22a and build it up.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Type S is ATTS. SiR S Spec is LSD.

Any reason for oversized pistons? I guess most places only sell Type A? Have you checked your cylinder bore sizes? I agree if you are getting all Type S pieces, then probably better to just go a S Spec engine. Oversize you definitely need the FRM cylinders honed/bored, plus all the other labour.

Redoing your current engine you could go with say more aggressive Stage 2 cams (Jun, Skunk2, Crower. etc), EuroR IM, etc. in which case there would be no point in going a JDM engine. Could also go Mahle Gold 11.5:1 pistons without resleaving. As said, really depends on your goals. Only so far you can go with N/A anyway.