Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser

Few questions & launching on semis advice ?

Hey guys

Haveing trouble getting my handbreak to hold the car on the line while doing my burnout. Some have said that the faster your wheels are spinning the less your car will want to pull forward. As i can only rev to 6500, its been suggested to do the burnout in 2nd gear? however im am usure on this and worried about damage to my drive-train.

Is it necessary to drop your tyre pressure on semi slicks. I am running Advan A048 with traction bars. Could semis work against your times if you cannot launch hard enough on them. As last time i had them on 20psi, attempted a 6k launch and snaped a CV. But i fear if you cannot lauch on them hard enough that bogging down could be easy, also adding more rolling resistance then a normal street tyre.

Advice anyone?
    Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    i always do burnouts in second

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    shit eh, i never done a burnout in second. never broken anything?

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    shit eh, i never done a burnout in second. never broken anything?
    nah i cooked my clutch last time but that was after 3 runs in under half hour

and i did a huge burnout from the water to about 30m past the start line

it was only to hot and started slipping but i can't expect better from a 12 yearold clutch

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    ahh ok. i might give it ago

Member Array
    Car:
    the non-honda type
    Your biggest problem is that you are using a circuit semi-slick to go drag racing with. The hard sidewalls are terrible for drag racing... and they will never heat up with a quick burnout...

Get a drag radial/slick, it will be more kind to your driveshafts.

I have always had the same problem. I do third gear burnouts with my K20 Civic using BFgoodrich semi slicks. There is no real stress on the driveline if you are in the waterbox. I just drive into the water, pop it into third, pull the handbrake, rev to 5500rpm and dump the cluch and the car pulls the car out with the brake still on. It spins easily to redline and heats the tyres most efficiently. I have tried first and second gear burnouts and have found third gear works the best for our setup.

You can lower pressures below 20psi on a semi-slick as opposed to a real street tyre. It's just about testing and finding the correct pressure. I personally had Advan AO48 down to 9psi for drags without any issues.

If you woried about snapping drivelines, I would suggest you preload on your launches - I have not broken one driveline part using this technique.
    LunchBox Racing
    K20A 1985 Civic
    11.67 @ 116.55mph
    allmotor street tyres

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by ek4-guy View Post
    nah i cooked my clutch last time but that was after 3 runs in under half hour

and i did a huge burnout from the water to about 30m past the start line

it was only to hot and started slipping but i can't expect better from a 12 yearold clutch
    I saw somebody do that at Willowbank and they kicked him off,he didn't even get to run after waiting an hour

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    i have always done burnouts in 2nd gear as you get more out of it. if you keep it in the water you should be fine. but those tyres are ok but you would do better on drag radials.

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    I saw somebody do that at Willowbank and they kicked him off,he didn't even get to run after waiting an hour
    wtf if they tried to kick me off i'd tell em they'd better kick Victor Bray off next time

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    haha Who's that?!

Member Array
    Car:
    the non-honda type
    Quote Originally Posted by ek4-guy View Post
    wtf if they tried to kick me off i'd tell em they'd better kick Victor Bray off next time
    Yeah but the point is Victor Bray's actions are actually justified.