Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury

RE001 On the Track

Hi all,

I managed to get my hands on a full set of Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 tyres at 195/55/R15, while it was on special a few months ago. I am currently building up my DC2 in preparation for occasional (monthly) track fun, which I am pretty much left with the tyre decision to make.

I am aware that this is pretty much a street/ fast street tyre which has softer side walls for more comfort and "might" not last or be suitable for track use.

I now have a difficult decision of sticking to my RE001s or shelve out some money for Yokohama AD07s. I've heard alot about this particular tyre which is considered to be on par with the RE01-R. My current location allows me to purchase AD07s at considerably discounted prices of approximately 140 each.

Would any track junkies share their experience with fast street tyres on the track ? Or recommend that I get AD07s intead ?

Many Thanks

If you got got the RE001's why would you change to another set of street tyres for track.
    If you're gonna fork out money to buy more street tyres for track,

May as well go semi-slicks? Or are you planning to track your street tyres, and hoping for a chance to still use em on the street after?
    Cause.. no chance.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I used my 205/55 R16 RE001 on my DC5R at Winton for one sesson once just to see how they went and they were quite grippy and I didn't seem to overheat or chunk off them too much. They would probably survive extended track sessions fairly well and be reasonably consistent, although I think when they get really hot they would probably start getting a little slippery and the tread will start chunking off.

If you can get AD07s for that good a price it might be worth going with them, especially if you have a second set of rims. Having a dedicated set of track tyres means you can run them until you hit the canvas and not have to worry about being able to still drive your car.

Unless you have a good amount of experience I would not go to a semi slick tyre yet. Street tyres are much easier to drive. I went to semi slicks (RE55s) after a few track days and I still regret it a little.

Why do you regret running semi slicks?

Just use the RE001s on the track until they're gone and then get AD07s.

If you can be bothered getting AD07s just for the track on a spare set of rims, then you're probably better off getting Semi's instead.

The RE001s performs really well on the circuit. Using RE001s vs Semis, I'm only about 2 seconds off the pace on current lap times - and that is actually for want of better driving.

Quote Originally Posted by squish85 View Post
    Hi all,

I managed to get my hands on a full set of Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 tyres at 195/55/R15, while it was on special a few months ago. I am currently building up my DC2 in preparation for occasional (monthly) track fun, which I am pretty much left with the tyre decision to make.

I am aware that this is pretty much a street/ fast street tyre which has softer side walls for more comfort and "might" not last or be suitable for track use.

I now have a difficult decision of sticking to my RE001s or shelve out some money for Yokohama AD07s. I've heard alot about this particular tyre which is considered to be on par with the RE01-R. My current location allows me to purchase AD07s at considerably discounted prices of approximately 140 each.

Would any track junkies share their experience with fast street tyres on the track ? Or recommend that I get AD07s intead ?

Many Thanks
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred_DC5R View Post
    Why do you regret running semi slicks?
    Mostly because at the time I got them I didn't really have the driving skill to make the most of them, I would have been better off just getting cheaper street tyres and attending more track days with the change I had left over. Better tyres are definitely the best single mod you can do to make your car faster, but club level track days are not a race .

just stick with the RE001's

I have nothing bad to report about them , a good 4 days at wakie progressively getting faster and i am using the same set of tyres for about 20,000ks with hardly any wear.
    PB is 1.15.2 and more to learn - There is mot much advantage in semis IMO , its something you put ontop once you reach an impassable time/skill level.

Stick with the adrenalin's or keep them for street and buy a set of semi's for the track. I used AD07's for a track day and they did do really well. But then the next trackday, I used the AO48's and the grip difference is crazy!! (same sussy set up both times)
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    wow that ad07 is cheap, can you pm me the source? thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by gambate View Post
    wow that ad07 is cheap, can you pm me the source? thanks man
    PM it to me too, that is if you are able to
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Luxury
    Thanks all for the helpful suggestions... I've got a few weeks to think about it.. in the meantime ...Pm sent =)

Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    re001 are fine for the track.. i did a high 1:11 with them at wakefield park which is a handling track, so they will be fine..
    'The Dave'

Old - DC2R - 122fwkw - 1:10.6 WP

New - MX5 SE - 165rwkw -