Stone Chip Repair

Washed the car this afternoon, noticed the usual stone chips on the bonnet and bumper, then got to the roof and have a chip thats actually got some surface rust.

Is it cheaper to goto panel beater to get all the chips touched up or get a mobile stone chip person? I know getting touch up paint would be a cheaper option but I dont want dots everywhere..

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    Quote Originally Posted by .QD View Post
    Washed the car this afternoon, noticed the usual stone chips on the bonnet and bumper, then got to the roof and have a chip thats actually got some surface rust.

Is it cheaper to goto panel beater to get all the chips touched up or get a mobile stone chip person? I know getting touch up paint would be a cheaper option but I dont want dots everywhere..
    you just answered your own question mate

mobile stone chip person will be better
    because u can still have your car and wont get that panel beater shop dust
    and they come to u
    only down side they mite be a bit dearer

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2, GD3
    Touch up paint would be cheaper by a long mile and as 90LAN said safest option would be the mobile chip paint repairer.

If however you want to give touch up paint a go, just go down to your local dealer and get a bottle (will be a better match than autobarn etc).

Just off the top of my head (tried this on a friend's car and decent results), use a toothpick and apply it on the chip starting from the middle and working your way around to fill in the gap. For the rust you could use some rust converter then apply some rust proofing primer.

Apply a few layers so its overfills the chipped area. Then get some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand by ripping a piece and wrapping it around the rubber end of a pencil. Wet sand until its even taking caution not to sand the clearcoat off the non affected area. Let paint cure for 24 hours.

Then just polish/wax and hope its not as noticeable. DIY for cheaper alternative but if you still aren't as comfortable trying it out, just pay a bit more for a professional.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    I got a good ding in my roof the other day from a pretty big rock.
    Let us know how you get on mate.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    I know they don't look the best, But a Car Bra lives on my car & only gets removed for washing. Sure it only protects the front of the car, but that's where 80% of stone chips occur. If your overly fussy you can even get coloured Bra's these days that go close to matching the exterior colour of the car. Personally I believe they are a good investment, but each individual is different.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 07 Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by buddah51au View Post
    I know they don't look the best, But a Car Bra lives on my car & only gets removed for washing. Sure it only protects the front of the car, but that's where 80% of stone chips occur. If your overly fussy you can even get coloured Bra's these days that go close to matching the exterior colour of the car. Personally I believe they are a good investment, but each individual is different.
    Nothing against Var Bra but for white car it might be ok but for dark color like black it will leave a lot of marks on the paint when sand get into the space between the Car Bra and your car, Just my 2c I will never put it on a black car

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    Mobile scratch repairers are MUCH cheaper than panel beaters, I had quite a few stone chips + quite a large corner scrape on the family's brand new civic repaired for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by geeang View Post
    Mobile scratch repairers are MUCH cheaper than panel beaters, I had quite a few stone chips + quite a large corner scrape on the family's brand new civic repaired for $150.
    Dude, who did you use? Can you provide contact/name? Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY12 CU2 Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by devilians View Post
    Nothing against Var Bra but for white car it might be ok but for dark color like black it will leave a lot of marks on the paint when sand get into the space between the Car Bra and your car, Just my 2c I will never put it on a black car
    Even with a black car i would use a Bra, no different to any other colour, just make sure you keep the front of you car well waxed or use a good sealant like duragloss