Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r

dc5r 4th gear crunch

hey guys just noticed my dc5r starting to crunch when shifting into 4th whilst revs are over about 4000. It started doing it today which was 34 degrees if that has anything t do with it? why could it be doing this and whats needed to clear it up. i also changed my gearbox fluid about 5k ago. my car also go's in for its 60k service soon.. it will be my first servioce since ive owned the car so how much will it be from honda? will they fix the crunching if i ask?

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Quote Originally Posted by red_itr View Post
    hey guys just noticed my dc5r starting to crunch when shifting into 4th whilst revs are over about 4000. It started doing it today which was 34 degrees if that has anything t do with it? why could it be doing this and whats needed to clear it up. i also changed my gearbox fluid about 5k ago. my car also go's in for its 60k service soon.. it will be my first servioce since ive owned the car so how much will it be from honda? will they fix the crunching if i ask?
    4th gear... ITR... thats odd... only the DC5S had the 3rd-4th gear problem.

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 honda integra
    mabye its got wrong grade oil

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    could be a synchro problem? i dunno how the k series gearbox go in terms of synchros but i had the same problem and had to change my 3~4 synchro.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy342 View Post
    mabye its got wrong grade oil
    I am using Motul Gear 300 sae 75w90 is this suitable or could this be my problem

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I am using Motul Gear 300 sae 75w90 is this suitable or could this be my problem
    I have heard of some issues with Motul gear oils in the K20 gearbox, although nothing too believable. It might be worth going back to OEM to rule out the oil as a problem.

4th gear is a little notchy in my car sometimes but my car is on 120,000ks with a lot of track kms so I am honestly not surprised.

try OEM oil wont hurt to change the oil to check it out, if i was in your position that's the first thing id do then if that doesn't work take it to get checked. I no DC5R's have 2nd gear crunch but 3-4th gear never heard so might be a easy fix.
    Sorry officer i didn't hear your sirens over my VTEC

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 honda integra
    go to your honda dealer and buy the oil that is listed for your car in my car the gears crunch due to worn out sychros i put some additive with new oil (oil was from honda dealer for my car and my mate got me additive from autobarn) box crunches far lesss now but its only temporary fix as my car has 270 odd kms on the clock and is probz ready for gearbox rebuild i cant rember what the additive was called but i no its still for sale at autobarn

Quote Originally Posted by 45SET View Post
    4th gear... ITR... thats odd... only the DC5S had the 3rd-4th gear problem.
    it does? haha ive never had that problem,only 1st-2nd

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Motul 300 75w90 should be ok, especially if the temperature is hot. How many kms does your ITR have? Are you the first owner? If not, the previous owner might have liked to do lightning shift 3-4 (ala Initial D) and wore out the synchros.
    Last edited by aaronng; 25-01-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Most gear box problems with the dc5 I have heard of seem to be 2nd/3rd gear (in my case it was 3rd, although mine is the S type) and my local service centre did not hesitate to replace the entire gear box under warranty. If the car is still under warranty it is well worth asking the problem to be checked over at your next service.

damn even dc5rs have second gear crunch?
    since changing my MTF fluid my second gear is okay now.
    it does crunch once or twice after driving off in the mornings but is fine after the car is warm.

go OEM imo. i had no clue what my car had before. i changed to oem and the gearbox felt a little better.
    Last edited by migoreng; 27-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.