Member Array
    Car:
    03 350Z TRACK

DC5R tie end rods?

hey guys, ever sinced i changed to coilovers i've been getting a creaking sound from that area and today i went to get my car serviced and the guys there noticed the creaking sound also and he suggested that i get inverted tie end rods i think they are called. i just wanted to get some more opionions on whether this will eliminate the creaking problem or is there other ways to deal with this issue and also where i could get some in?

cheers
    Last edited by lmfamglia; 27-01-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 NBP DC5S
    I'm guessing i'm not the only one with coilover creaks. Mine is only at the rears though and the rears are pretty low so I copped it on the chin and and came to the conclusion that my chassis is taking one hell of a beating (very stiff suspension so my rear doesn't rub on bumps and turns)

Well if it turns out to be tie end rods, let me know.
    Fighting online is like winning the special olympics. In the end, you're still a retard.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 350Z TRACK
    oh i forgot to add that its coming from the fronts and not the rears.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    I fail to see how tie rod ends could cause creaking, but I have been wrong before on rare occasions. As long as they are in reasonable condition, and the lock nut on the tie rod and the castle nut are tight then they should be silent. A worn tie rod end would tend to make a knocking sound I think.

Under what conditions do you get creaking? EG. Parking or turning or driving straight?

Be aware that new tie rod ends from Honda are around $100 each so it wont be a very cheap thing to change, and you will need to factor in labour and another alignment after they are installed.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 350Z TRACK
    the guy at the mechanics said that because the car is pretty low the rod bends and u need a inverted tie rod to make it straight to eliminate the noise if that makes sense :S

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by lmfamglia View Post
    the guy at the mechanics said that because the car is pretty low the rod bends and u need a inverted tie rod to make it straight to eliminate the noise if that makes sense :S
    Ahh okay. I have heard suggestions that extreme tie rod angles from dumpage can cause issues for the tie rods and steering rack, but I have had inverted tie rods since I initally got coilovers so I can't comment.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 NBP DC5S
    any good places to get inverted tie rods and what brands?
    Fighting online is like winning the special olympics. In the end, you're still a retard.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 350Z TRACK
    x2 i would like to know as well

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Check out this thread on ClubRSX: LINK . 0857 from that forum sells them.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    I fail to see how tie rod ends could cause creaking, but I have been wrong before on rare occasions. As long as they are in reasonable condition, and the lock nut on the tie rod and the castle nut are tight then they should be silent. A worn tie rod end would tend to make a knocking sound I think.

Under what conditions do you get creaking? EG. Parking or turning or driving straight?

Be aware that new tie rod ends from Honda are around $100 each so it wont be a very cheap thing to change, and you will need to factor in labour and another alignment after they are installed.
    Creaking can be caused by already worn out tie rods. It can also be caused by tie rods which are maxed out on their movement...ie excessive lowering, which does'nt take much to do on a DC5/EP3 unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_mon View Post
    any good places to get inverted tie rods and what brands?
    Quote Originally Posted by lmfamglia View Post
    x2 i would like to know as well

cheers
    I have the clubRSX ones and they work really well, My car is only lowered about 1 inch. Thay are as good quality as the branded ones.

I might be able to get some for anyone whos interested.

PM for details