Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic VTi-R Hatch

Thumbs up Simota Cold Air Intake Review (massive pic warning)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To install a nice shiny CAI onto my EK4.

Required: CAI, basic hand tools( Spanners, philips heads, knife, beer) and more complex tools (a mate).

Steps: Unbolt and unclip all stock intake parts, bolt up new intake. Was relatively easy - took and afternoon of trial and error to install. (no instructions included - PM me and ill send you some links for install pages).

Review: So i bought this intake from "egSi", who sent it promptly - no problems at all. It cost somewhere around the 200 mark....

When it arrived I pieced it all together on my bed :

So the next weekend me and a mate got stuck into the install. Trial and error saw us getting the stock stuff out... We had a bit of difficulty when my powerlifter mate went a bit nuts tightening the metal 'zip-tie' clamp thingy - but a trip to the local hardware store sorted that out. The 'rubber tube thing' (part of the clamp device- the inside bit) was quite hard to get over the throttle body opening - but with some ingenuity (getting a metal tin and hammering the inside of it to push the rubber onto the TB....or something like that) it was all good.

So - the intake was installed:

[img][/img]
    .....now for the test drive. In neutral - giving it a bit of a rev, not much difference was apparent at all.....a bit worried at this stage. So we set out onto the road. For some reason the traffic was kinda hectic - driving 40 in a school zone ruled out any serious revving.

....but dandenong road (princess highway) was within sight - patiently waiting for the green arrow to turn......then gunned it in second after the corner. Whooaaarrrrrr!! I'll have to get a sound recording for you guys...

I didnt want to make any calls about any power gain....the sound was soo different that it was very hard to actually compare. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran my mate's integra VTi-R.... he usually beats me....but i was consistantly beating him....not by much....but still. (que "it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile...." vin deisal speach).

Iv now had my intake for around a month - iv had no problems with it at all. The sound of my car has changed - the exhaust now sounds deeper....and my car seems to be pulling very very nicely. So i went to the local legal - off street drag meet and ran an S14 (with intake and BOV) and got it off the line - he came back.....but not enough. Same with an S2000 (with very loud exhaust and dunno wot else) who wasnt dragging at start - but then tried to come back at me without too much success. Both the S2K and S14 were quite suprised and asked me wot mods i had and giving me the thumbs up. (Note that my car is not faster than either an S14 or an S2K - but i was trying to illustrate that my car is faster than everything....i mean ....it gave them a bit of a run....wheras before it wasnt really that close).

The cool thing about the cold air intake - is that the filter is mounted behind the bumper - so it sucks in cold air...and the filter is mounted in a much cooler place - so when it is filtering the air, its not heating the air (like engine bay filters do, even if they have a cold air feed). To prevent hydrolock, you can mount the filter in the engine bay during winter.

To sum it all up - it wasnt too expensive, was relatively easy to install, sounds great and goes harder.

What more can you ask for?

If you've got any questions - PM me.

Cheers,
    mike.
    Last edited by VTEC16; 21-10-2004 at 12:26 AM.