PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    I agree with conan! Seriously if you drove a newer model and an older one, you wouldn't pick the difference, trust me, i've driven plenty of new ones and old ones. I laugh when i hear people tell how the newer models feel completly different to the old ones. Funny how costmetics make people think there driving something different, but the only effective change is a rear caddle(only very slight), so technically it would only be noticable if you drove it really hard on a race track. To all those that disagree, please claim why??? as nobody else worldwide can. I'm not saying '04 are bad, there not, there a great car, it's all cosmetic! Ask any Honda Tech, ask anyone who has tracked both models, good luck spotting any difference till you drive an '06+(with VSA), they seem slower, but there probably no different, as we found no advantage, in any lap times. As a matter of fact if the old models ran the same rim size and tire size as the AP2 models they were fractionly slower and thats with a professional driver, let alone a weekend warrior.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    HA HA! Nice one ludecrs! VGS never made it better, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    it would only be noticable if you drove it really hard on a race track. To all those that disagree, please claim why??? as nobody else worldwide can.
    I disagree.
    Driving a newer model S2000 is very noticable when comparing it with a older model. Apart from the cosmetics you mentioned, you cannot escape the fact that the older S2000s must have more wear and tear. This affects the general enjoyment of the car markedly. Note I said general enjoyment and not its performance, although a lot of things also affect its performance.

My brother has an 01 S2000. A friend of mine has an 02 S2000. I have an 07 S2000.
    And some of the things that detracts from the general enjoyment of an older S2000:
    1. Roof doesn't latch close as tight causing lots of wind noise at speed.
    2. Rattles and squeaks due to loose bolts / fasteners.
    3. Clutch judder and vibrations.
    4. Clutch plate is worn.
    5. Center console compartment is smaller.
    6. Door trim pocket is useless.
    7. Seat foam sagging.
    8. Rear plastic window fogging up to the point you can't see anything out of.
    9. Stereo / speakers not as good.
    10. Worn / old brake pads.
    11. Less power.
    12. Worn suspension, suspension bushings.
    13. Worn tires.
    14. Worn / cracked silicone hoses.
    etc etc etc.

As before, all of these things can be modified / replaced. But modifying costs money, time and headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by JAP-S2K View Post
    As a matter of fact if the old models ran the same rim size and tire size as the AP2 models they were fractionly slower and thats with a professional driver, let alone a weekend warrior.
    BMI did this test and they got a slower lap time with the early model S2000 compared with a new (back then) 2004 model.

The AP1 models were slower than the AP2 only fractionally BECAUSE OF the professional driver. With a weekend warrior that's nowhere near as good, the gap would be even larger IMO...

S2Krazy Array
    Quote Originally Posted by h17am View Post
    I disagree.
    Driving a newer model S2000 is very noticable when comparing it with a older model. Apart from the cosmetics you mentioned, you cannot escape the fact that the older S2000s must have more wear and tear. This affects the general enjoyment of the car markedly. Note I said general enjoyment and not its performance, although a lot of things also affect its performance.

My brother has an 01 S2000. A friend of mine has an 02 S2000. I have an 07 S2000.
    And some of the things that detracts from the general enjoyment of an older S2000:
    1. Roof doesn't latch close as tight causing lots of wind noise at speed.
    2. Rattles and squeaks due to loose bolts / fasteners.
    3. Clutch judder and vibrations.
    4. Clutch plate is worn.
    5. Center console compartment is smaller.
    6. Door trim pocket is useless.
    7. Seat foam sagging.
    8. Rear plastic window fogging up to the point you can't see anything out of.
    9. Stereo / speakers not as good.
    10. Worn / old brake pads.
    11. Less power.
    12. Worn suspension, suspension bushings.
    13. Worn tires.
    14. Worn / cracked silicone hoses.
    etc etc etc.
    And I could argue that a Ferrari F550 Barchetta has the same issues as the F575 Superamerica, because nearly everything you mentioned is age variable.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

well the original poster was asking whether to get an early model s2000 or save more for a newer one...

4 years on and finding a white ap2 stock for a reasonable price is as hard as ever.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1
    a year or so ago, a seller here sold their 05 or 07 for ~$50k
    white, very clean, sold very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by phuongvu88 View Post
    a year or so ago, a seller here sold their 05 or 07 for ~$50k
    white, very clean, sold very quickly
    i remember that. i believe it had about 17000km on it, sold for about $52-54k. I've ended up buying an 86 GTS for 40k driveaway so I couldn't justify the price of that s2k. But my dream car is still a white stock ap2, and who knows what I'll do once i do find it.

Last edited by Charles_91; 12-07-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles_91 View Post
    Thanks, got the email alert today too.

No worries mate looks pretty clean in photos and its not over priced