Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    also for the main bolt might come in handy to have a rubber mallet as well cause it'll help get the bolt though.

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    alot of the time many professional mechanics do the exact same lol.
    ahaha yeah so i've heard that alot of mechanics can use their arms are torque wrenches and get it right. if only i could do that...save myself 50$!

I'm a DIY mech. I torque everything important down to spec.

Installing these things is easy. Just follow the instructions. and make sure you buy descent tools. Don't cheap out. They're made to last if you buy a good set. You'll also prevent damage to bolts and yourself if you have half descent tools.

Also, i wouldn't suggest using WD40 as a lub for the bushes. WD40 will dry them out and squeeck after a while. WD40 is only a temporary lubricant. Get a propper grease for the job. should be able to find something at autobarn/supercheap. just don't use WD40. you will regret it.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    Dy__, you talk like you've done this before. have you man? i know where you live =P..

Thanks for the tip Jason, I was contemplating on WD40 cause I didn't even think it was a lubricant to begin with, cause what kind of lubricant minimizes rust?

alright thanks all again for the replies, i will be heading out to buy tools on saturday and DIY myself. i'll post up pics if im successful

Dy__
    correct me if im wrong but, your talking about this aye?

Last edited by kriZy; 05-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.

good luck man.

Make sure you have a jack and jack stands too. Don't get under the car wthout them.

also, you'll be working under the rear of the car so put it in reverse (or park if you're an auto) and pop some bricks in front of the front tyres so she doesn't roll forward when you jack her up.

Not sure if you know that already but just thought it might be helpful. Good to see someone else getting into DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGilholme View Post
    I'm a DIY mech. I torque everything important down to spec.

Installing these things is easy. Just follow the instructions. and make sure you buy descent tools. Don't cheap out. They're made to last if you buy a good set. You'll also prevent damage to bolts and yourself if you have half descent tools.

Also, i wouldn't suggest using WD40 as a lub for the bushes. WD40 will dry them out and squeeck after a while. WD40 is only a temporary lubricant. Get a propper grease for the job. should be able to find something at autobarn/supercheap. just don't use WD40. you will regret it.

I too am a DIY mech and use a proper torque wrench for 80% of jobs , mostly just wheel nuts , engine mounts and clutch installs. You NEED to be accurate with the latter !

anyway ,, do not use WD40 on any object that is rubber or comes in contact with rubber as it can eventually wear prematurely.
    Use WD40 for loosening nuts and bolts only. For bushes use a general purpose grease or lithium grease. Ive used general purpose grease from castrol for years on probably 80 or so swaybar installs and never an issue. Only whiteline products with the stiffer poly bushes seem to squeak after X amount of time.

+rep ben. Good info on the bushing lube.

100% agree with everything you said there.

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    I too am a DIY mech and use a proper torque wrench for 80% of jobs , mostly just wheel nuts , engine mounts and clutch installs. You NEED to be accurate with the latter !

anyway ,, do not use WD40 on any object that is rubber or comes in contact with rubber as it can eventually wear prematurely.
    Use WD40 for loosening nuts and bolts only. For bushes use a general purpose grease or lithium grease. Ive used general purpose grease from castrol for years on probably 80 or so swaybar installs and never an issue. Only whiteline products with the stiffer poly bushes seem to squeak after X amount of time.
    thats pretty much the only reason why i use wd40...best for getting old and rusted bolts and nuts!

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    Quote Originally Posted by kriZy View Post
    Dy__, you talk like you've done this before. have you man? i know where you live =P..

Dy__
    correct me if im wrong but, your talking about this aye?

nuh i was talking about the one that connects your lca to your subframe. its the longest bolt.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    the longest is the hardest to get in
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4
    oh..
    they are saying to put that in first.

Member Array
    Car: