Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: D16 Rebuild

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by RobboEK View Post
    Is there any reason why i shouldn't go with the Microtech?

My mate is running one in his TX3 and it seems to be good.

Eazy answer

1. Start with a Honda ECU you have everything working correctly straight off the bat.... No fuking round.

2. No install is needed.. saving right there

3. You moding the Honda base maps so you can drive you car round before tuning
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Banned Array
    Car:
    EH9
    subscribed

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    B18B rods can also be used, but some machining of the rods is required. you dont have to notch the block though. i believe all h-beam & i-beam rods require notching the block.

Can i just say this, by the time you factor in the price for - pistons, rods, bore, machining, etc. since almost all parts you have to get overseas, & atm exchange is a little crap, you could have easily done a B-swap.

Please dont get me wrong though mate, if you wanna build the d, go for it. im in the same boat as you, turbo the d or b-swap. I need something thats reliable, but at the same time still fun to drive...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    ^^^i am going to build it
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT

Member Array
    Car:
    Subaru Tai-berty
    lol @ theres a sinificant diff between vtec n boost.

imo its 2 very different boats.

depends on which boat u like.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '98 Civic EK1 CXi
    Hi guys, i'm having a bit of confusion here...
    i'm looking at upgrading the ignition system probably to an MSD external coil system, although i can't seem to find the right setup for a AUDM D16Y4.

Apparently the USDM D16Y8 is supposed to be the same as the Y4 (Minus VTEC of course) but the distributors look completely different.

Has anyone on here swapped over to MSD External Coil?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Scratch that,

i found a post from nd55 in another thread which kinda cleared things up.
    Last edited by RobboEK; 29-04-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Maybe i should open my eyes a little wider...

Banned Array
    Car:
    EH9
    i thought the usdm y8 is the equivelant to our y1?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kazam View Post
    i thought the usdm y8 is the equivelant to our y1?
    Nope

AU D16Y1 = US D16Z6
    Au D16Y8 = US D16Y8
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '98 Civic EK1 CXi
    Ok, so apparently there aren't a whole lot of options for ignition on a D16Y4.

Does anyone know if any of the other D16 series distributors just bolt on?
    I contacted MSD and they weren't real helpful at all they just said "PN 82923" but looking at this cap on their website seems to be completely different to the cap on my Y4.

My cap looks more like PN 82943 but i don't wanna buy it incase it doesn't fit.

> Ok, so apparently there aren't a whole lot of options for ignition on a D16Y4.

Unless you are looking at a complete MSD ignition, there's not really much point to a new cap and a different coil.

The MSD 6 series capacitive ignitions aren't really satisfactory for our Honda's because the CD box wants a trigger from a points style ignition which we don't have.
    The voltage and polarity of the trigger signal is all wrong.

I remember a post on Hondatech.com describing a simple level shifter circuit made up of a few discrete components, but you'd have to go digging cause I don't have the link handy.

The MSD 7 & 8 series are worth more than our entire motors are worth.

There is/was a Honda specific MSD coil & ignitor package which will look very attractive to somebody who has priced a dizzy from Mr Honda Australia, but I don't think is plug and play on our d16's.

My advice get a new dizzy from Distributor King and new plugs and wires.
    Gap the plugs right and be done with it.

The red dizzy caps are some nice bling, but I've never seen anyone say the OEM ignition system has left any Hp on the table.

Nick.
    Last edited by nd55; 14-05-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    i can understand why you would want to replace the dizzy since your rebuilding the motor. The Y4 is, what alot of people have said, the 'black sheep' of the honda family engines. I too would like to upgrade my cap to an external coil type, fact is our Y4s whole dizzy differs from the Y7 & Y8 of the same year. However, im not 100% sure if an MSD external coil dizzy cap will fit, but im not going to be the guinea pig for it either.

I have seen a DIY where some-one modified the stock dizzy cap to accept an external coil. they used an MSD power tower, & drilled a hole in the dizzy for the power tower. however, since it was a long time ago i saw this post, i cannot remember what they used to secure the power tower to the cap.

EDIT - have a look at each of these caps carefully. http://www.msdignition.com/products/...ompact_import/
    I just sussed out my dizzy, it said hitachi on it.
    Last edited by VTECnique; 15-05-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '98 Civic EK1 CXi
    Hi Guys,

Just an update to how its all coming together.
    The block, head and crank are at the engine builders now, I ended up going with the Nippon Racing low comp pistons and Eagle H Beams(ARP 2000) . I also put ARP head studs in for good measure.

I Just ordered a Exedy 10.9lb Flywheel and Exedy HD clutch. I'm also lookin at a MFactory Helical LSD

For the Intake i ended up with a Skunk2 Pro Series intake and AEM High volume fuel rail. As for the throttle body i'm going with a Skunk2 68MM Pro series.
    Right now i am trying to decide what injectors to go with, i'm only wanting to get 300HP so i don't know what size injectors are gonna be best.

I decided i would go with the Microtech LT10S ECU as it replaces the dizzy with a cam position sensor and uses external coil packs for ignition.

Turbo wise i am gonna be getting a Garrett GT2860RS.