Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs

20 second delay for searching

What is the point of this ? Seriously ?

This site has waiting time for nearly everything you do!

I don't care about waiting time in between posts and waiting 2 whole minutes just to PM people but why does it have to also be on the search function ?

It's bad as it is that it cuts out nearly every word you use when you HAVE to be specific and waiting 20 seconds just to do another search is ridiculous.

/rant
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Wait for Wynodes exact reply , but to let you know the reason for such restrictions is to ease the load on the site host. There is a fair amount of traffic on ozhonda so we implement such limits to avoid excess issues.

Im sure if others agree , we can reduce the wait for this. Please wait for Wynodes official statement in regards to this thanks.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    As Ben mentioned........searching is a very resource intensive process. If we reduce the search time then there is a possibility that the site could be down during peak times. It's kept at 20sec to ensure stability for everyone.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Would you be able to increase the time for PM's by 20 seconds and get rid of the 20 sec delay for Searching ? Or is it totally different ?

Cheers,
    Aytac
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    thatsafrenchassnameyvonne
    tiksie, my understanding of it is that It's totally different. The search function not only gets used alot more than the PM function during peak times, however as Wynode said previously, it is also resource intensive. This meaning that for you to search the entire forum for a single word, it puts load on the server. This may be fine for 1 or 2 people to do at a time, but say 100 people are using the search function during a peak period, the load can become unbearable and the server could crash. The 20 seconds you wait in between searching is no different, if not better than the lag you would experience If everyone on the forum (slight exaggeration) clicked "search" at once..
    Last edited by hotdc2; 28-02-2009 at 03:49 AM.

....and if everyone clicks on "newposts" every time they log on , its an incredible larger strain than simply searching too. This is a free forum guys Wynode does his best to provide a happy average all around.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    ....and if everyone clicks on "newposts" every time they log on , its an incredible larger strain than simply searching too. This is a free forum guys Wynode does his best to provide a happy average all around.
    hahahhahaaa-

Like me.
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    RustBox
    well atleast its 20 seconds now. last time i brought this up, i think it was more than 30 seconds? (not sure?!??)
    ٩( ͡๏̯͡๏)۶ www.crxaustralia.com ಠ_ಠ

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    The 20sec delay is there for a good reason unfortunately.

When this forum gets bigger (approx around 2 million posts), the default search engine wont be able to keep up and it will choke and crash the forums.

You need to use Sphinx search engine after that and/or add a google forum search (prefixed search "site:www.ozhonda.com/forum"). I think it is a good idea to add the google site search right now

For more complex searches, Google will trump MySQL FullText search every time, there are no heuristics built-into MySQL search, just searches on exactly what you type in.

oh btw, the mods dont get a time delay

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search
    Don't even kid about that...

Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    woah...really?

/sarcasm
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    The 20sec delay is there for a good reason unfortunately.

When this forum gets bigger (approx around 2 million posts), the default search engine wont be able to keep up and it will choke and crash the forums.

You need to use Sphinx search engine after that and/or add a google forum search (prefixed search "site:www.ozhonda.com/forum"). I think it is a good idea to add the google site search right now

For more complex searches, Google will trump MySQL FullText search every time, there are no heuristics built-into MySQL search, just searches on exactly what you type in.

Mr NBR super duper moderator - thankyou for the insight. Feel free to bring up such technical suggestions directly to Wynode. I assume you know how to pm
    How long has such a system been implemented on the site you moderate ? Known decline in server load ?