Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    lol Glad to see your elite searching skillzz. I do not think its necessary yet, but it might be something to look into in the near future.

We kinda implemented it late, at like 2.3 million posts the forum was crashing every 30mins that search had to disabled for a while.

After Sphinx search was added and optimizations (Removed Apache, added custom Nginx and PHP RPM's). The 1000 user parallel 10 second stress test gave us a whopping 320% overall increase in performance (63 fetches/s @1.56mbps). So unless 1000 users can each open more than 63 forum pages per second then the server will cope fine. Also search has been a breeze.

good to see ill bring it up with the boss.

Member Array
    Car:
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search

I don't think so man, i'm sure that they contribute but have you noticed the advertisements on Ozhonda?

Wynode would get a cut based on how many people click on each of the advertisements...
    Anyone selling a black ek1 facelift Hood (OEM)?? PM ME

Member Array
    Car:
    CityRail
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I don't think so man, i'm sure that they contribute but have you noticed the advertisements on Ozhonda?

Wynode would get a cut based on how many people click on each of the advertisements...
    It doesnt work that way.
    The advertiser isnt paying Ozhonda to advertise on our forums.
    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for the comments all........I believe the fulltext search is sufficient for now and we have already reduced the time from 30sec to 20. I will look at other alternatives though. Problem with Google search is that it is not very customisable.

Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    i know i said this in the last 2 threads like this but... even for the supporting members?

technically supporting members are supporting upkeep of servers right? i would gladly trade my Inbox space and all other benefits for no lag time on search
    Actually no.......being an Ozhonda subscriber gives you extra features like larger PM box, attachments etc. Relying just on these contributions is not sufficient to pay the hosting costs
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Btw we also reduced the strain on search by running a vB hack that closes threads that has been inactive for 2 years so search omitted it. It also prevented necroposting.

We also reduced the New Posts returns from 20 to 10 pages.

(not that im telling you how to run your forum, just suggestions)
    Last edited by flipfire; 10-03-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yeah, thread mining 2 year old threads is for the lose
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    ^no it isnt

this site is more than 5 years old now

the last 2 years of threads are pretty shit compared to the older stuff in some cases

and VB hacks arent feasible as they weaken the overall integrity of the website, opening up security holes
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Krogoth you forgot to ask for a certain thread..
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!