Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...

B16A2 Turbo Technicalities

Hey guys... i'm still building that turbo kit and i need some help

1. Turbo

- I have had many suggestions but the popularity and the manifold availability of the T3/T4 hybrid finally persuaded me to choose that over the T25. Question is, is this the right choice? Additionally i'm a BIT confused over Mitsubishi turbos...si the tdo4 (off GSR Lancer) the same thing as a T3?

2. Manifold

- Main question whether a T3 manifold suits ALL t3/t4 hybrids and whether the manifold is different for tdo4s

3. ECU + Tuning

- I'm currently looking at the VAFC2 + 450cc Injectors to compensate fo rboost... has neone tried "chips" like turbo edit/uberdata and knows and knows whether this cheap option is reliable?

thanks guys... i'm almost there

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    the lancer GSR is a tiny, tiny little turbo...no way would i use it. Personally i'd go for a GT series Garrett, much better turbos than the T3/T4's.

The VAFC is a very crude method of tuning, it advances timing under boost. Go for uberdata, i use it and as far as i'm concerned it does everything you need it to do and is reliable.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Your turbo should match your setup.... if only ever will run low boost then buy a turbo for that application. I see everyone buy a cheap turbo setup... there engine goes BANg... then they build there engine and then want a new larger turbo to make more power.... plan ahead and save money. Reality is your engine can go BANG.

Same as manifold design, there’s cheap ones and expensive ones, generally the more expensive the more power they make, the faster they spool the turbo and the less chance they have of breaking. With regards to flanges any t3 exhaust housing will fit any t3 flange manifold, regardless if it’s a t3 t3/t4 or GT30 etc etc, what you have to watch is turbo to block clearance. Buy a manifold used by everyone else in the world, once you do some research you will be very familiar with words like, drag, SPF, Max Rev, Full Race FMax etc. buyin a manifold is like buying good shoes, go with a “name” brand.

Engine management go with a “name” brand n look ahead to who your going 2 use 2 tune your car…..any ECU is only as good as the person tuning it. I would most defiantly stay clear of AFC hacks thow….- Don't forget about a larger fuel pump also... injector size makes no difference what so eva as long as your ECU can control them, go larger rather than smaller. I would tend 2 go for 600+CC injectors, don't believe the internet myth just because you have large injector you use more fuel or have a shit idle......what rubbish…...
    Fuel economy doesn’t change if your using stock or 1500cc injectors if you control em correctly.

hint = don't cut corners, turbo'ing a Honda costs lots of $ expect unexpected bills and labour.

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    Thanks Guys!! : )

James- Ne Tips on how to make my engine NOT go bang besides from driving really really softly whilst on stock internals?

I would have thought that running 6-8psi, with injectors, upgradedfuel/oil pumps, FMIC, and either VAFC or Uberdata/Turboedit would be sufficient to keep my engine safe?

Poid, do u know neone in Melbourne who install the Uberdata thingie for me? i know i dont even wanna TRY it myself after reading the instructions. And isnt my car (ek4 1996) equipped with a Obd2? do i need the obd1 plug to install uberdata?

Thanks all in advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    you'll need a socketed OBD1 ECU (p28, p30, p72 etc) and an OBD2 -> OBD1 conversion harness. I'm not really sure of who does it in Melb, but i bought a chipped ECU from the US and then just used the software. Maybe have a chat with Andy? dunno if he has played with the Uber software

running lowish boost and having a decent tune will make for a reliable setup...James is right that the size of the injectors wont affect economy or idle. If its a low boost street car you dont strictly need a fuel pump either, but they are fairly cheap so you may as well get one

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    Uberdata thingie for me? i know i dont even wanna TRY it myself after reading the instructions -

Go for a commercial ECU solution then. leave turning your car to experts who can tune. Tuning = Power and Reliability and Knowledge

Ultimately the more you invest in your set the more reliable power you will make.

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    I realise that cheap + reliable rarely if ever go hand in hand, but do i REALLY need MicroTech or Motec or Hondata for a 6-8 psi setup??? I've got my objective quite clearly in mind, i'm looking for a quick civic, hahahaha not giong to turn it into BLKCVC

So wot else is available and cheaper than the Big Boy Brands of ECU? Emanage any good?

Actually, can u guys please tell me whether mechanical tuning with FMU or advancing/retarding timing would work?

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    7 psi even ZERO psi and incorrect tuning on any engine can make it go bang...
    with forced induction your only add'in fuel to the fire....my only recommendation will be go mainstream ! if you value your engine you will choose the best you can afford, and get it tuned by the best you can afford.

As for this comment...

“Actually, can u guys please tell me whether mechanical tuning with FMU or advancing/retarding timing would work?”

hmm "HELL NO" you need to tune for ignition ! via a ECU not just mechanically moving back your dizzy, this would hinder performance to the max.

Honestly without lots of money reliability is very hard (more than $6000) How much do you plan on spending...

Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    dude, dont use an FMU for any setup...they are shite

Weq seems to have some success with his e-manage. That is prolly gonna be the cheapest reasonable solution if no one near you is willing to tune Uberdata/Crome. Otherwise the cheapest mainstream ECU is gonna be a microtech, they are proven to work well.

Unless you are willing to learn to use the freely availble software yourself there isnt really any other option i would use other than a proper programmable ECU

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S but not for long...
    Thanks for the input... i'll check out microtech and emanage first then

My budget is wierd... i'm planning on spending around 2000 for the initial setup, and then more later for exhaust and clutch etc etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    with 2000$ to spend good luck....
    Regards James

Member Array
    Car:
    Boosted CRX SiR
    James aka BLKCRX knows his shit so heed his advice...Microtech is running my boosted B16A2 & once tuned optimally, should be running pretty good...Hondata is also recommended so budget for what you can afford & get someone knowledgeable to tune her...all the best with it mate...